WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
November 18, 2008 10:15 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

nfl_u_hill_200.jpg

Cary Edmondson/US Presswire Shaun Hill displayed some skills Sunday that bode well for his future.

I'll have a full personnel report on the 49ers in the not-too-distant future. In the meantime, I wanted to pass along something about Shaun Hill that jumped off the screen when watching the Rams-49ers game on the DVR late Monday night.

Hill showcased an important skill in throwing that 36-yard pass down the middle to fullback Michael Robinson on second-and-2.

The pass itself was on target, but the way Hill sidestepped pressure while keeping his eyes downfield showed promise. Some quarterbacks will take their eyes away from their receivers when avoiding pressure. Once they avoid the pressure, they'll need extra time to gather themselves, reset their feet and make a throw.

The time needed to accomplish these tasks can be the difference between throwing away the ball, taking a sack or finding the fullback open against a linebacker for a 36-yard gain.

Hill sensed the pressure, moved to the side and threw without ever losing sight of the field. It was the type of play that has made Tony Romo an effective quarterback despite relatively underwhelming physical skills (a scout once told me Romo would never win a skills competition among NFL quarterbacks, but his ability to see the field when eluding pressure makes him dangerous during game situations).

We can easily discount the 49ers' performance against the Rams based on the level of competition. The play Hill made on this throw to Robinson transcended the opponent. It was the type of play that could help Hill succeed despite underwhelming raw physical tools.

San Francisco 49ers, Rams-49ers, Shaun Hill, Michael Robinson, Tony Romo
Read comments or leave a comment

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2428171 said:
The play Hill made on this throw to Robinson transcended the opponent. It was the type of play that could help Hill succeed despite underwhelming raw physical tools.

"That's what she said."

michael_scott_396x222.jpg