ESPN Scout Horton: Twenty things that jumped out in the film room... 1 'boys

dfense

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2457630 said:
That wasn't the case in the Commanders game. The Cowboys didn't lead until the fourth quarter. Or the Giants game.

How many sacks did the Cowboys record in the Giants game? :confused:
They were behind in the Niners game until the 2nd quarter to.

khiladi

Reaction score
People are confusing sacks with pressure..While we were still high up in sacks prior to Wade taking over the defense, most of the sacks were late in the game and coverage sacks.With Wade taking over, our sacks are happening throughout the game and pressure is a consistent staple of this team. Hell, even Bradie James is putting up a serious pass rush.My view is that Wade has taken this game over, because he knows he cannot afford even one loss. The play-off situation is way too tight right now and a single loss could spell the end of our play-off hopes. It seems that the light has clicked for Wade in the sense of urgency. Even against Tampa, most reports said he was just putting in his input. Now, we see this defense employing 4-6 packages and lining up Ware all over the place.

Temo

Reaction score
How about this for an alternate explanation: the varied blitz schemes we're seeing have everything to do with an improved and healthier secondary. The past 5 games (since the Massacre at St. Louis) have included:

Bucs: Their WRs are terrible. Garcia abandons the pocket too early and can't get the ball down the field. You don't have to protect the secondary as much. Also helps that this was the first game where the secondary didn't look routinely confused on the field.

Giants: Certainly the Cowboys respected the ground game and still couldn't stop it. But I'm not certain that Wade really respects the Giant's air game, and indeed the Cowboy's secondary was able to shut down the Giants through the air for the most part. Having this luxury enabled Phillips to vary his blitz schemes.

Commanders: With Newman back, the secondary got instantly better. Not having to worry about getting beat deep (indeed Campbell had to dink and dunk the whole game) enables you to abandon the zone defense and add pressure with your linebackers.

San Fran/Seattle: This is just not a fair match. Facing inferior passing games and non existant rushing, you can bring pressure from anywhere at any time.

I guess my point is this: as much we'd all like to say "oh well, looks like Wade finally figured out how to take control of this defense", it's usually much more practical stuff like matchups, injuries, and circumstance.

The Rams game remains unforgiveable. But there's been reasons beyond Wade's scheming for the defense's resurgence. (Ones that I haven't mentioned are the play of Jay Ratliff who somehow took his game to yet another level, Spencer's return, and Chris Canty looking like maybe he hasn't fallen off the face of the earth)

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2457512 said:
Its a very good question. I'd like to know what the hell was going on inside that Stay Puft head of his.

Read a few of the reasons given out before opening mouth & inserting foot. Phillips, like any employer, wants his subordinants to succeed & grow. Unfortunately, the best way to learn is to fail. That's why we have to let our children fall & bruise themselves in order to learn how to walk. Wade was allowing his DC to learn through trial & error, and, I'm sure, many suggestions from the boss.

As was suggested, when Phillips lost his franchise QB, and found out that his owner didn't have the brains to bring in a backup who could throw a football as well as a pee-wee leaguer, he had to change his methods. He had to force feed Stewart by letting him watch how Wade called the plays.

I'm sure that, once Stewart is given back the reigns, he will do a much better job. You see, Wade does have something up there other than marshmellows.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2457630 said:
That wasn't the case in the Commanders game. The Cowboys didn't lead until the fourth quarter. Or the Giants game.

It applies to only the past nine of those 18 sacks. The first nine (all four against the Giants, all three against the Commanders and the first two against the 49ers) came when we were behind, tied or ahead by only one point. The last two against the 49ers came when we were up 32-9 in the fourth quarter, and we were up by at least 14 for all seven sacks against the Seahawks (they attempted only four passes before that).

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Temo;2459004 said:
How about this for an alternate explanation: the varied blitz schemes we're seeing have everything to do with an improved and healthier secondary. The past 5 games (since the Massacre at St. Louis) have included:

Bucs: Their WRs are terrible. Garcia abandons the pocket too early and can't get the ball down the field. You don't have to protect the secondary as much. Also helps that this was the first game where the secondary didn't look routinely confused on the field.

Giants: Certainly the Cowboys respected the ground game and still couldn't stop it. But I'm not certain that Wade really respects the Giant's air game, and indeed the Cowboy's secondary was able to shut down the Giants through the air for the most part. Having this luxury enabled Phillips to vary his blitz schemes.

Commanders: With Newman back, the secondary got instantly better. Not having to worry about getting beat deep (indeed Campbell had to dink and dunk the whole game) enables you to abandon the zone defense and add pressure with your linebackers.

San Fran/Seattle: This is just not a fair match. Facing inferior passing games and non existant rushing, you can bring pressure from anywhere at any time.

I guess my point is this: as much we'd all like to say "oh well, looks like Wade finally figured out how to take control of this defense", it's usually much more practical stuff like matchups, injuries, and circumstance.

The Rams game remains unforgiveable. But there's been reasons beyond Wade's scheming for the defense's resurgence. (Ones that I haven't mentioned are the play of Jay Ratliff who somehow took his game to yet another level, Spencer's return, and Chris Canty looking like maybe he hasn't fallen off the face of the earth)

Thanks, Temo. It's tiresome reiterating this obvious point across all threads. I don't understand why it's easier to blame limitations on coaching than it is on personnel.

I'm just glad most of our best players are back and playing well and we're able to do the things now that our coaches have wanted to do all along. Our playoffs have already started, and I'm just trying to enjoy it from here on out.

Temo

Reaction score
Idgit;2459157 said:
Thanks, Temo. It's tiresome reiterating this obvious point across all threads. I don't understand why it's easier to blame limitations on coaching than it is on personnel.

I'm just glad most of our best players are back and playing well and we're able to do the things now that our coaches have wanted to do all along. Our playoffs have already started, and I'm just trying to enjoy it from here on out.

The thing is, I would agree that coaching can be bad and cause losses. I'm not saying that coaching doesn't matter and it's all personnel.

But what's the logic in deciding that Wade Phillips, in his decades of experience coaching in the NFL, has suddenly figured out how to bring pressure, or that he would allow Brian Stewart to run a defense that he didn't agree with?

Either Wade sucked then and sucks now, or he was working with what he had then and is doing the same now. I refuse to believe that he suddenly "figured it out" all of a sudden.

khiladi

Reaction score
Temo;2459269 said:
The thing is, I would agree that coaching can be bad and cause losses. I'm not saying that coaching doesn't matter and it's all personnel.

But what's the logic in deciding that Wade Phillips, in his decades of experience coaching in the NFL, has suddenly figured out how to bring pressure, or that he would allow Brian Stewart to run a defense that he didn't agree with?

Either Wade sucked then and sucks now, or he was working with what he had then and is doing the same now. I refuse to believe that he suddenly "figured it out" all of a sudden.

Jason Campbell didn't sniff 200 yards this latest game, when last year he put up 300 yards with a healthy Newman and Henry.Like I said, it has everything to do with coaching and scheming. We are playing a lot more press coverage and this defense is no longer giving up the short pass. Before, the pressure could not get to the QB, and the opposing QB simply had to dink-and-dunk his way downfield. Wade Phillips has employed the 4-6 scheme, which this defense wasn't doing before. All this shows that Wade finally took the reigns off from Brain Stewart and is calling the game himself. They are not even close to vanilla nmow, like they were last year and this year.Wade cannot afford to lose a single game in this tight race for a play-off spot. Last year and in the beginning of the year, he didn't have to get so involved because the offense was playing light's out and he could afford to train Brian Stewart in real-time.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
khiladi;2459440 said:
Jason Campbell didn't sniff 200 yards this latest game, when last year he put up 300 yards

Campbell needed to throw 54 passes when he put up 300 yards last year. He averaged only 6.4 yards per attempt.

Temo

Reaction score
khiladi;2459440 said:
Jason Campbell didn't sniff 200 yards this latest game, when last year he put up 300 yards with a healthy Newman and Henry.Like I said, it has everything to do with coaching and scheming. We are playing a lot more press coverage and this defense is no longer giving up the short pass. Before, the pressure could not get to the QB, and the opposing QB simply had to dink-and-dunk his way downfield. Wade Phillips has employed the 4-6 scheme, which this defense wasn't doing before. All this shows that Wade finally took the reigns off from Brain Stewart and is calling the game himself. They are not even close to vanilla nmow, like they were last year and this year.Wade cannot afford to lose a single game in this tight race for a play-off spot. Last year and in the beginning of the year, he didn't have to get so involved because the offense was playing light's out and he could afford to train Brian Stewart in real-time.

Last I checked, Jason Campbell lost that game in the end for the Commanders. And he dinked and dunked in that game as well, which is why Wade was able to bring the different blitzes this game.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The fact is that Wade suddenly realized that his arse is out if we dont make the playoffs and it scared the crap out of him.

Sometimes fear can be a great motivator.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2459679 said:
The fact is that Wade suddenly realized that his arse is out if we dont make the playoffs and it scared the crap out of him.

Sometimes fear can be a great motivator.

I hear ya... but I think its more like "enough is enough... I am gonna show them(all/everyone)"

"I am mad as hell and aint gonna take it anymore" :laugh2:

khiladi

Reaction score
Temo;2459630 said:
Last I checked, Jason Campbell lost that game in the end for the Commanders. And he dinked and dunked in that game as well, which is why Wade was able to bring the different blitzes this game.

Yeah, he dinked and dunked because we allowed him to, which is the whole point. This game, we played plenty of press coverage and JC wasn't provided the oppurtunity to dink and dunk, plus Newman was shadowing Moss all game in long man coverage. We employed the 4-6 packages, which is a coaching and scheming issue, not a personnel issue.

It was a totally different philosophy. It had everything to do with coaching and scheming. Last year, both Newman and Henry were healthy but all we did was played vanilla zone.

khiladi

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2459538 said:
Campbell needed to throw 54 passes when he put up 300 yards last year. He averaged only 6.4 yards per attempt.

And they also had significant TOP. The point is not to try and make JC look good, the point is that Wade is taking over this defense and it is now a clear difference between our schemes overall. JC didn't sniff 200 yards this game and in fact, he most likely would have had less yards if the Commanders didn't get those two fluke INTs.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick;2459702 said:
I hear ya... but I think its more like "enough is enough... I am gonna show them(all/everyone)"

"I am mad as hell and aint gonna take it anymore" :laugh2:

[youtube]WINDtlPXmmE[/youtube]

EDIT: not sure if the YouTube tags are working: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE

Positively, one of the best movie scenes of all-time.

newlander

Reaction score
Great point guys: shouldn't have lost the rams game or the cardinal game if wade would've taken charge earlier. Hope it doesn't cost us the playoffs.....

Temo

Reaction score
khiladi;2460114 said:
Yeah, he dinked and dunked because we allowed him to, which is the whole point. This game, we played plenty of press coverage and JC wasn't provided the oppurtunity to dink and dunk, plus Newman was shadowing Moss all game in long man coverage. We employed the 4-6 packages, which is a coaching and scheming issue, not a personnel issue.

It was a totally different philosophy. It had everything to do with coaching and scheming. Last year, both Newman and Henry were healthy but all we did was played vanilla zone.

That's laughable. Try playing a 46 defense with 2 rookie cornerbacks, Anthony Henry and a crappy SS. See what happens. Having Newman back made all the difference. Not to mention that Wade's been schooled in the 46 since the 80's and it's not like he was holding it back for some reason.

Jason Campbell dinked and dunked a ton in the last game, don't know what you're talking about. He took maybe 2 shots downfield the whole game.

Finally, Newman and Henry were healthy last year? So did I just imagine Jacques Reeves starting 12-13 games? And Nate Jones being our Nickelback? Did that stuff not happen?

khiladi

Reaction score
That's laughable. Try playing a 46 defense with 2 rookie cornerbacks, Anthony Henry and a crappy SS. See what happens. Having Newman back made all the difference. Not to mention that Wade's been schooled in the 46 since the 80's and it's not like he was holding it back for some reason.

We had a healthy Newman and Henry last year against the Commanders... We still played soft-zone, as far as it concerned these two players, let alone Jascque Reeves. In fact, even prior to the injury to Newman this year, at least as far as wade and everybody else knowing about it, we were playing soft-zone. According to reports this year, Newman was even calling for more man and press coverage.

Jason Campbell dinked and dunked a ton in the last game, don't know what you're talking about. He took maybe 2 shots downfield the whole game.

And your point is? Of course Jason Campbell dinks and dunks, he does that every game. It is their game-plan. How does that take away from the fact that we played more press coverage and jason Campbell got nowhere near the numbers he had last year in terms of completions, including his dinks and dunks. It was because we played press coverage that ie wasn't anywhere near as successful as he was last year and in game 1 this year. They couldn't control the TOP either.

He didn't take any shots downfield, because he didn't have them and the pressure was too much. Among the reasons for the pressure, is because we were playing press coverage. In the first game, we played plenty of soft-zone, before it was even known that Newman was hurt.

Finally, Newman and Henry were healthy last year? So did I just imagine Jacques Reeves starting 12-13 games? And Nate Jones being our Nickelback? Did that stuff not happen?

Newman and Henry were our starting CBs... What is your point? Wade could have had Newman manning up on Santana Moss last year all game long, but it wasn't done. We played soft-zone even as far as it concerned Newman.

Look... You can't get around it. The fact is, this defense is clearly scheming differently, no matter how you want to slice it. That is a coaching philosophy issue.

It is indisputable.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
hassell;2457351 said:
These so called experts fail to recongnize that Wade Phillips took over defensive playing calling about 5 weeks ago.

Actually he didn't, that was what was reported, but the players said Wade would pop his head into a meeting and say is everything going ok? good, and then leave, and it was reported Wade took over the calls, but those rumors were squashed by Wade himself who said he has NOT taken over the pay calling and Demarcus told my friend himself that Wade really has nothing to do with the defense, unusual, since he was brought in to be the defensive guru, he leaves it all up to Stewart, STEWART has been calling the plays ALL YEAR LONG and DEFINATELY been callin the plays the last 5 weeks.