ESPN Scout Matt Williamson Chat Wrap...2 'boys

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Hey everyone, MW here. Let's get rolling on this Friday chat.

CaptainRON! (Tampa) :: Matt, what's going on with the Dolphins talking to Quincy Carter and Terry Glenn? I thought we already cleaned house and got rid of all the trouble players and older veterans. Also, who do you think will be wearing the new coach-to-player helmet on the defense this year? Can Channing Crowder do the job of calling the defense? Thanks and Go Fins!

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Crowder almost has to be that guy with the transmitter. I don't worry so much about him relaying the calls and his communication skills as I do his ability to stay on the field on throwing downs. This guy is a liability in that regard with his coverage ability. As for Carter-I just don't get that one. Glenn? Okay, I can buy that. What do they have to loose and WR very well could be the weakest position on the team. Parcells and company are obviously very familiar with him as well. That move makes sense as it isn't like Miami has some top young WR whose time will be cut into or development will be stunted. If anything, having Glenn around should help Ginn.

Jim(Westerville,OH): Matt, call me crazy, but could the Bears & Lions end up 1-2 in the NFC North this year? GB & Minn both have had to deal with the Favre distractions while the Bears & Lions are running fairly controversy-free camps. Any chance these two teams step up and surprise?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Wow-yeah, I am going to call you crazy. I picked GB to win this division and I am sticking with it-unless #4 somehow ends up in Minn. Chicago's D could be very much improved from a year ago and of course their Special Teams are impecable, but that O is just too rough for my liking. Detroit is well, Detroit. They have to show me more before I think they can compete. 1. GB 2. Minn 3. Chi 4. Det.

Keith (Chicago): Hey MDubs, Shaun Rogers is in shape and has looked like an unblockable beast in camp (against our OL, no less). Hampton is on the PUP eating donuts. I know you have to beat the bully first, but on paper the only way the Steelers are better is if Little Ben gets into Peyton/Tom rarefied air, no?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Those two former U of T DT teammates certainly have a lot to do with how these teams perform overall-no doubt about that. However, opening day is not this Sunday and Hampton should work himself into shape. And-can Rogers keep up the intensity. You bring up good points, but I still have more faith in PGH top to bottom than Clev. Close though and Rogers will eat PGH's OC alive.

Paul (NE): Who do you think will end up with Chris Henry?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: He sure looks like a Cowboy or Raider to me. Anyone else come to mind? TBay maybe.

Jason, Houston: Matt, I feel really uneasy about the new offensive scheme of cutblocking for my Texans team. We have quality coaches and high character players, yet we go ahead and implement a system that is seen around the league as "cheating". After watching a demonstration of the system by Marc Schlerth, I can see the obvious problems it can create if not performed properly. While my sympathy goes out to our opposition's linemen, there is one player in particular I could care less of his opinion on the matter (Haynesworth for his cheap shot on Schaub). What do you think of the system?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: I don't see it as cheating. I see it as effective...esp when Alex Gibbs is teaching it as he is in Houston. Trust me here, you will see massive improvements in the running game and it doesn't matter which of the RBs gets the carries. Houston will be a better team because of these scheme changes.

Brian (NY): What impact will Lamont Jordan have on the New England offense?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Probably very lilttle. That move kinda surprised me to be honest, as Jordan struggles to stay healthy and doesn't run all that hard-not traits that BB is looking for in his RBs. Is he better than Sammy Mo? Possibly. But he doesn't offer as much (special teams, etc) as Morris. That is the competition as Maroney and Faulk should be assured jobs.

Steve (Syracuse, NY): Any recievers out there for Vince Young and the Tennessee Titans?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Chris Henry...that will never happen. So, the answer is No. They could sure use one though.

chauncey (teaneck): What team can you see Brett Farve playing for?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Been avoiding the Favre questions, but let's just do this. The only two teams that I can realistically see with Favre as their QB is NYJ and GB. Can't GB and Favre just kiss and make up, win a bunch of games together and compete for the Super Bowl? What is so terrible about that? As for the Jets, they are not in the division, they have a win-now attitude and their QBs are holding them back.

Matt, Raleigh: Thinking the Niners get more than four or five wins this season is just kidding myself huh?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: If the O/U was six, I would go under, but that seems like a realistic number. Four seems too low-especially in that division. Still, obviously I am not a huge believer in SF right now.

Chris (Wilmington): What do you think of the Panthers? After consecutive great drafts -- Beason, CJ, Kalil, Stewart, Otah, Godfrey, and Connor -- have they positioned themselves for a super bowl run in two years?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: First off, do not annoint this last draft as a great one until we at least see the players in live action. And remember, they mortgaged the future to get the rooks they got this year. Everything comes at a price. However, I expect a ton of points from this O this year. I also expect Car to let up too many points on D. I like their LBs a lot and the secondary is good enough, but I really worry about the DL almost all the way accross the board.

Matt (Atl): Over / Under on Falcons wins @ 6.5 ? Do you think Michael Turner will be productive, like top 10 RB ?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Under. Very under. They stink. The decision makers are doing a fine job though, but that is just a huge undertaking to try to pull that team to being a contender. I do like Turner and he should see plenty of carries. I assume you are talking fantasy when asked if he can be a Top 10 guy. I have him ranked in the mid teens. That OL won't do him any favors.

JVill (Ann Arbor, MI): GB has a solid team, but what really drove them last year was the passing O...or Brett Favre. You really think Rodgers can step in to those 4 and 5 WR sets and not miss a beat? The Broncos looked good in 1999 when they lost Elway and looked what happened.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: That is a very QB friendly O and the supporting cast is outstanding. Will they miss a beat? Maybe, but much of that production is predicated on getting the ball out quick, making good quick decisions and putting the ball where the WR can do something with it after the catch. I think Rodgers can do all those things well.

Steve (VA Beach, VA): No Skins questions yet Matt??? If the D remains solid and the offense grasps the WCO, can my Skins be contenders this year?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: I am not real high on this list of Skins' fans. I see a lot of offensive growning pains this season, but they could be terrific in 2009. I love the trade for J Taylor though and he is the type of playmaker they needed on D. I still think they are 4th in that brutal division though.

Chad (Savannah, GA): What about the Saints? Has their D improved enough to compete for a title?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: For sure. This team is going to be very good and has a chance to win the whole thing. I love the Shockey pick up for them and the D brought in a lot of new talent. Brees will have a monster year.

Scott (Indy): Will Big Ben get the ball out quicker this year? Or, does he still hang on and scramble to make something happen and get dinged up again?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Probably somewhere in between, but I would favor the latter. That is just in his DNA. He thrives on making big plays-and makes plenty of them.

Matt (Atl): Philly seems to really be flying under the radar....any news out of that camp ?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: No real news, but I do agree with you on that. They could contend. I picked Philly to represent the NFC in last year's SB at this time a year ago and believe in the organization as a whole.

Aaron (va): do you see atlanta coming out of the cellar this year with matt ryan? or will redmond get the nod over the overpayed rook?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Too early to tell who will start the year at QB, but Redman seems to be the early logical answer. They are the cellar dwellars though once again. Bad football team.

John (Miami): Do you think Ronnie Brown can get back to last year's form by week 6, right after their bye week? I think the success of Ronnie will determine if this team wins 2 games or possibly 5-6 games. Your thoughts?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: That will certainly be a factor. I hate playing doctor because when it comes to injuries, I get all my info the same way you guys do for the most part. However, I don't think playing football every Sunday in the NFL is a good way to rehab a knee that isn't 100%. My expectations are low for Brown this year-but I am a big fan of his overall and he could be a superstar in 2009 as that team grows around him.

SprungOnSports (Long Island): Is this the make or break year for Matt Leinart? How can the Cards compete without him, and is it too early to call him a bust?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Too early to call him a bust, but if he doesn't assert himself this season, then the B word should be thrown around. Warner makes a lot of costly errors, but he can be extremely productive as well. They can win with Warner. This isn't an elite team, but that D is my sleeper D (GB was mine last year) to really step up and assert themselves amongst the better groups in the league. Zona wins the West.

Aaron (va): i think that a lot of pressure will be taken off or Mr Rogers once the team wakes up and fixes the ryan grant situation any progress on that front?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Do not overlook Brandon Jackson and even D Wynn in this situation as well. Both players could do quite well in that system and I think GB ownership holds the cards in the Grant negociations.

Scott (Champaign, IL): Matt reports out of Chicago are that Hester and Brandon Lloyd are lining up as the starting receivers in camp. How much trouble are my Bears in?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: That is brutal. If you look at this glass half full-and trust me this is about as optomistic as any human being can be on this subject-I see Bradley being the type of talent who could emerge as a #1-honestly. Will it happen? Doubtful. The rook Bennett looks like a very productive true #2 in this league. If Hester turns into a full fledged WR, he could be your dangerous slot guy. That is best case scenerio. However, I am going with the glass half empy. Actually, just about all the way empty.

Jared (Denver Co): Matt W my fave insider!!! What are you thoughts on the Broncos 4 headed monster of Cutler, Marshall, Schefler and Clady now and in the future. Thanks for the great chats as always !!

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Thanks brother. I loved the Clady pick, but let's wait to judge him. I really like the other three though-like them a lot. On the field at least. Marshall can't be a knuckle head and a suspension possibly could come down on him. He is a stud and if suspended, this O will suffer in a huge way.

Sean (Philly): Brandon Lloyd made some spectacular catches in SF, but disapeared in Washington, maybe he steps it up in Chicago this year.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Once again-VERY optomistic.

Dan (CT): What do you expect from Randy Moss this year? Will teams be able to slow him down at all?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Probably a few less TDs and yards than last year, but he is unstoppable. Think of this scenerio. Brady goes through his reads. All are covered. Has time then starts to feel the rush. Time to get rid of the football. Instead of chucking it out of bounds, he realizes that Randy is 45 yards downfield with a corner in his hip pocket and a safety in the vacinity. What does Brady do? Chuck it up near Moss of course-that is the right answer. Why? Moss will come down with it.

mike (nyc): how good can the jets D be...solid additions and young talent...maybe top 10?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Not buying it. They still are very light at DE and CB outside of Revis. Could use an upgrade at ILB next to Harris as well. I see the Jets' D disappointing this season.

Greg (Crystal Lake, IL): Matt, how many more years will Chicago stick with Grossman and Orton?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Hopefully just one. Do you have to knock Angelo and Smith on the head with a 2X4 to get them to realize that they have serious QB issues that need addressed?

JVill (Ann Arbor, MI): Thoughts on Kwame Harris? I know he was a bust in SF, but I saw Tom Cable totally revamp a sorry OL in Oakland last year bring it up to an average unti. Can he do the same with Kwame?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Harris is dripping with talent. A natural. Gifted. However, he never seems to put it together for long enough stretches. Staying at LT should help and he is mobile enough to work well in this system, esp with Cable doing the coaching. But, guys like Merriman will murder him in pass pro.

Rick (NY): Is Cedric Benson or Shaun Alexander going to be signed any time soon?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Not soon. Maybe after a RB or two goes down in the preseason. What kills those guys is that if they are not carrying the ball, their uniforms are not getting dirty. Far too one dimensional. It also doesn't help that they run soft.

Eric Striegel (Sioux City): If Tanard Jackson plays like he did last year will he be considered a top five safety?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: That doesn't seem to be a major stretch. The guy can play. Top 10 is probably more like it, but I hear ya here. Not sure he will ever be at the Reed, Wilson, Sanders, Troy P type of level.

Johnny ( Wyoming): Matt thanks for the chat and for always answering questions about every team, I need your F-Football opinion on your top 5 guys. Thanks!

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Purely fantasy related? RBs obviously rule the world in fantasy. My top five right now goes: LT, Peterson, S Jax, Westbrook and then for the surprise...wait for it...M Lynch by a hair over M Barber and J Addai.

Jared (Denver Co): Matt J Green keeps saying the Raiders are by far the 2nd best team in the west because of the Raiders off season, does he not realize they have a rookie with no experience at QB or is Russell that far ahead to lead the raiders to a possible wild card? I don't see it.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Oh, JG sees it, but honestly, I am with you. I have my doubts about this team in two huge areas: Ability to stop the run and ability to throw the ball effectively. However, this division is poor and they are better than KC-which isn't saying much. I like Denver to finish 2nd and threaten for a WC with their easy schedule, but all bets are off if Marshall is suspended for a long stretch.

Zac (MN): moss makes every QB (outside of oakland) look good. Culpepper lived off the long ball to moss. Randall Cunningham prolonged his career too. Even jeff george looked (relatively) good with moss. Do you think front offices know that and that's why Culpepper hasn't been signed yet?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Sorta and I agree that Moss does that to QBs. However, that Brady character was pretty good without him as well and physically, I just don't think Culpepper is anywhere like he was before the knee problems. If you sign Culpepper, you have to worry about the injury situation/settlement. Can he get out of the way any more? Big target back there.

Anthony (NYC): Matt with expectations being high for McFadden, is it fair to say that he will have the same impact as AP? Also what are the chances of seeing a rb have that kind of impact in back to back seasons?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Peterson is the far superior player to McF and I was also very critical of Oak on DDay. They should have taken Dorsey-no doubt in my mind. However, I do think McF will have a good year. Fargas will lighten his load (this is a good thing) and as we touched on Cable has made this a very good run blocking OL and the passing game is suspect. He will get a lot of touches and I think he can be that decisive quick hitting runner that this O needs. Not Peterson though.

Greg (Crystal Lake, IL): Moss is obviously the best deep threat in the game. Who would you rate as the best overall receiver in the game?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: It has to be TO. Just such a beast. However, Wayne was spectacular last year and I am a personal favorite of Andre J and Calvin J. Andre in particular. But, woudl it shock anyone if we were talking about Andre J as being the top dog one year from now?

Matt (Philadelphia, PA): Out of all the rookie running backs who to expect to be the most productive and why? Also which rookie running back is the sleeper this year? ( like Young was last year)

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Jalen Parmele is my super sleeper since I don't trust Brown's knee or R Williams overall and Miami will pound the rock. As for this rookie RB class, I expect it to be VERY productive overall. Shockingly productive. If I had to pick just one, I would probably say J Stewart.

MJ (Boston): Why is Chad Pennington still the Jets QB? Don't people realize he's horrible and they have no chance with him?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Clemens is bad too and franchise QBs do not grow on trees.

Greg (Crystal Lake, IL): I think it would shock a lot of people simply because the Texans get no air time or publicity. You really think Calvin J is even the best on his team?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: I do not think that Calvin J is the best on his team-yet. But, I think he will be an absolute superstar in this league.

David (Gainesville, FL): Lots of injuries to the jaguars offense. How do you see it affecting them? Minor nuisance or major setback?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: The Porter injury is the killer. He needed to get all the reps he could with Garrard and company-now that isn't going to happen. I expected big things from him this year, but now I am not so sure.

SprungOnSports (Long Island): What have you heard on Dustin Keller, because I went to Jets camp on Wednesday and he looks like he could be a star?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: In a perfect world, Keller would turn into Dallas Clark. A big glorified WR. Did the Jets really need a first round TE? Not especially, but much like Tenn did with C Johnson on DDay, they took Keller becasue they didn't believe in any of the high end WRs from this draft class. If they ask him to be an inline blocker play after play, he will not succeed.

Tim (CT): Can the Giants get back to the Superbowl, or was it a fluke?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Not a fluke at all. Very good football team that got hot at the right time. Reminded me a bit of the Steelers a few years ago. They can get back. I am still picking Dallas in that division though.

Eric Striegel (Sioux City): I agree about AJ being the best overall WR, and don't even think its close. He has TO's size, Moss' speed, Harrison's hands, and Jerry Rice's work ethic.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Whose knees?

Tyler- (Kingston TN): Can the titans win the AFC South?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Just don't see it. You have to pass the ball to be a top team in this league now and I just don't know that they can do that well enough in 2008.

David Fairborn, OH: Half of me thinks Keith Rivers is hurting himself by holding out, while the other half thinks it won't be a big deal. In your opinion, which half of my thinking is the right haf?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: At this point, not a big deal. If it goes much longer, hurting himself for sure.

Tom (NY): What's your take on the Bills? Assuming they eventually give Peters the extension he deserves, can this team go 8-8?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Yes. Obviously I am a big M Lynch fan and expect huge numbers from him. I also really like this D to drastically improve. However, Edwards looks like a care taker to me and I am not sold that they solved their pass catcher issue. If everything goes perfect, 9-7, but they are more like 7-9. Also, their special teams are terrific.

Anthony (nyc): Do u think the Wshington Commanders will be able to get something out of Erasmus James this yr?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Once again, speculating about injuries isn't a wise move on my part, but I did think acquiring him was a gamble certainly worth taking.

Eileen (Baltimore): Matt, can you take a Charger question? Do you see their passing game coming of age this season? How deep in the playoffs will they go?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: They can win it all. Stacked roster. Lets see some live football though before predicting how far they will go in the playoffs. One thing that worries me about SD is the OC position. If Hartwick isn't able to play, this OL falls apart. Watch that closely. Also, Gates is obviousy a giant key to this passing game. I just heard that over the last four years, only TO and R Moss have caught more TD passes than Gates. Amazing. However, even without Gates, this team will win the AFC West. Will rest their starters for weeks 16 and 17. That type of year for SD.

Greg, Columbus: At what point do Browns fans start cheering "Brady (Quinn)" this year?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Week 5

Skip (Pawtucket, RI): Am I crazy to keep MBIII for a 5th round pick over Brady for a 3rd? I have the #3 pick in a 12 team league that has 1 keeper.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: I have Barber ranked ahead of Brady in a typical type league. Obviously because of the position he plays, but he is a TD machine, Dallas just gave him a new contract and he will get more touches than ever. BIG year in store for MBIII.

Scooter (MD): Will the Ravens be able to find a two starting tackles?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Maybe. Ozzie Newsome has not neglected the OL one bit over these past several drafts. Between Gaither, Cousins and then maybe moving Yanda back to RT, they could find two very young-but talented-players to help out. I wonder how this will affect their TEs though, considering they may be forced to stay in and block more than Balt likes. Side note: I do really like the interior of their OL though.

Franklin (Nashville): Since you metnioned CJ and the TItans, what was your opinion on that pick? I was skeptical at first, but lately I've become more and more excited about it.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Same here. I expect that backfield to do very well this year. Why reach for a WR that doesn't deserve to go that high? Johnson will catch passes, maybe return, and run. He will get touches. That O needed a big play threat. They got it.

Greg (Crystal Lake, IL): Who do you think will be the best receiver from this years draft?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Still like Devin Thomas for the long haul. Should start slow in his rookie year, but he could really be something by year three.

Nate (DC): So Matt, (RE: Ravens) Do you see Willis as a top 10 back this year?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Right outside the top 10. Top 12 or so. Will see a lot of stacked Ds, but he should also catch more passes than usual.

Bob (Cincy): Do you think Rudi gets back to the Rudi of old? Supposedly looks good in camp, and the line is healthy. The Bengals really need a running game with that offense.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Their running game crippled the entire team last year. I have my doubts about Rudi though. I thought he was done a year ago and predicted a down year for him. But, if his weight is up where it should be and I see good quicks out of him in the preseason, I might change my tune. One thing about Johnson though is that he needs a lot of carries to be effective. Can they afford to do that? I want to see him in preseason.

David Fairborn, OH: There was an article a week or so ago comparing Josh Cribbs and Devin Hester. Who would you rather have?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Hester. He might be the best return man who has ever played the game. Seriously.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Okay folks, I am out of here. This was fun as usual. Enjoy your weekend.