News: ESPN: Scouts Inc.: Dallas has to be heavy on D

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
And you know all this as fact because you have personal knowledge or what???

War Room by Michael Holley is actually a great book that talks about the inner workings of the Patriots, Chiefs and Falcons. Focuses on Belichick and his tree (Dimitrioff and Pioli).

It talks in great detail about how teams are built and the roles of the various members of the scouting staff and front office.

Very interesting to see how little Kraft is mentioned. One of the examples in the book was when he did walk into a player evaluation meeting, made a pointed comment about Damien Woody and left. A quote from the book:

The owner routinely negotiated a complicated pass in professional sports. He was able to regularly check in on football operations without meddling. He asked questions and threw out topics that could be debated, but he never made suggestions to Belichick about players he wanted to see signed or drafted. If there was a message to his visit, it was simply that he was paying attention

Essentially, an owner who allows the qualified people to do their job and holds them accountable. A far cry from Jerry's role.

So, to answer the original question, I suppose he knows simply by observation, research and reports. Not some pretend sources that lay out a picture that directly contradicts with almost everything directly said by Jerry himself.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
War Room by Michael Holley is actually a great book that talks about the inner workings of the Patriots, Chiefs and Falcons. Focuses on Belichick and his tree (Dimitrioff and Pioli).

It talks in great detail about how teams are built and the roles of the various members of the scouting staff and front office.

Very interesting to see how little Kraft is mentioned. One of the examples in the book was when he did walk into a player evaluation meeting, made a pointed comment about Damien Woody and left. A quote from the book:

Essentially, an owner who allows the qualified people to do their job and holds them accountable. A far cry from Jerry's role.

So, to answer the original question, I suppose he knows simply by observation, research and reports. Not some pretend sources that lay out a picture that directly contradicts with almost everything directly said by Jerry himself.

Loved the post. Not sure how that answers our question as to how anyone knows what is going on for certain in our organization particularly when it pertains to specific negatives.

There should be zero doubt Jerry is a meddler. There's enough direct observation to support that as well as lots of smoke some of it from people in the know who don't run their mouth about anything and everything...example Parcells esp his behavior and limits on Jerry.

I remind all that Jerry is not just the owner but the GM as well. So it would depend on what hat he's wearing. The problem with that is there is just no way to distance yourself from all which is a good idea at the top of the food chain. I don't think for a second Jerry doesn't meddle and muddy the waters. Jerry the owner can't affect Jerry the GM but so much and vice versa.

And I listen to Jerry. He can tell you a lot. OTOH, he can blow smoke with the best of them as well as just be a buffoon at times. You just gotta know him and pick and choose.

As far as holding people accountable. It's very obvious that different fans have differing opinions on what should and shouldn't be criteria to do that. And they certainly have differing ways to look on many aspects of the team.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Weird how post #37 didn't prompt this respnse from you, where the random poster attempting to make it sound like he's 'in the know' with how the team operates.

Yet you call out the guy who's posting fairly general and well understood information on how front offices are structured - provided you read any number of books out there.

Not even going to look at post #37 because I'm on and off this forum a lot. Don't tell anyone but I don't read every single post on this forum. And I certainly don't look for someone to single out to respond to. I do not discriminate to whom I bestow my snarky comments and pithy statements or silly youtube stuff meant to show everyone life is much too serious a matter to be taken too seriously.

In2Deep

Reaction score
Not even going to look at post #37 because I'm on and off this forum a lot. Don't tell anyone but I don't read every single post on this forum. And I certainly don't look for someone to single out to respond to. I do not discriminate to whom I bestow my snarky comments and pithy statements or silly youtube stuff meant to show everyone life is much too serious a matter to be taken too seriously.

Don't blame you for not looking at that post. Its hard to find, being located directly above the one you bestowed your snarky comments and pithy statements.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I wonder if he can be a smallish, yet workable LB in this defense or should he still start in the back end of the secondary.
Does he even have the skills to be a "Coverage" LB? I don't know.
I get the feeling that he's a player that would be nothing more than semi-rotational on defense and more of a special team's ace on a better team with more talent.
Not a starter, but I'm not sure about my impression of him.

I saw the same things you did, but I also thought I saw a player who doesn't really have a place in this league.
He's a player that should have been born twenty years earlier.

I'd like the team to gain better players at both safety spots, but I recognize that Church can be an asset.
Sorry for taking this thread in another direction-

my mind is wandering at the moment...

NP. Great stuff. Actually a few here have thrown the LB thing out there. I think he's probably closer to what you see than what he does although I'll hedge a little on that because I tend to underestimate him a tad.

I think he's a Joker and an in the box type safety more than a universal safety. He's listed as 6-2 and 218 which is too small to be an every down LB IMO. But people have played LB who weren't very big. He's more than a biscuit away from being a LB but he might be able to put on ten and play the Will. Or just be a Joker in special packages. He'd play over 50% of the snaps doing that IMO. There just isn't anyone to put back there right now so he gets the ticket. He may still be more than I think. I hope so.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hey...I might have just bought the tape Blueray from one of those infomercials recently. It might be right beside my Carol Burnett collection.
lol.gif
roll.gif
lol.gif

Ur really old dude. At least you're not talking 50s stuff. :)

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Ur really old dude. At least you're not talking 50s stuff. :)

I always had a big thing for Mary Tyler Moore on the Dick Van Dyke Show.

I still do... She was Crazy Good Lookin'!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Don't blame you for not looking at that post. Its hard to find, being located directly above the one you bestowed your snarky comments and pithy statements.

If you have a problem with a post then report it.

I often see a post then post something much later than it was posted as I return to the forum. I don't always read thru the entire thread before choosing which posts to respond to.

Now why have you got a burr under your butt about what I said to Risen Star? We snark at each other often and I often 'like' his posts even those I don't agree with all of those. He does expound on his posts for the most part which I respect.

If you have a problem with ANY staff member including singular and multiple posts, take it to another moderator, report a post.or simply pick up the phone and dial.....PM. And that's where the rest of this communication goes since most of this is for everyone to digest not just you.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always had a big thing for Mary Tyler Moore on the Dick Van Dyke Show.

I still do... She was Crazy Good Lookin'!

Yes, at the time I was a kid and viewed her a Mom and didn't realize until years later how hot she was.

I loved Samantha and Jeannie.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
I remind all that Jerry is not just the owner but the GM as well. So it would depend on what hat he's wearing. The problem with that is there is just no way to distance yourself from all which is a good idea at the top of the food chain. I don't think for a second Jerry doesn't meddle and muddy the waters. Jerry the owner can't affect Jerry the GM but so much and vice versa.
We all know Jerry is the owner/president/GM. There's no need to remind us. That's the entire problem. He's 70 years old and has his hands in EVERY aspect of this team. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

How many owners make the decision as to who's going to call the plays on game day? If you want to claim that he was "wearing his GM hat" when he made that decision, no GMs do that either... other than Belichick, who is the only head coach/GM in the league right now. That should be the decision of the head coach and the head coach alone.

Our head coach just sits back and takes it for the most part. I say for the most part, because he actually attempted to take some control back at the end of the season. But now we see Callahan is supposedly going to be back and calling plays in 2014. I'm sure Garrett is making that call.

If you understand that Jerry is making the decision on who calls plays on Sundays, do you really think that the HC, scouts, etc. have final say over him when he's making personnel decisions? Things that are ACTUALLY the GM's traditional duties... Come on.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We all know Jerry is the owner/president/GM. There's no need to remind us. That's the entire problem. He's 70 years old and has his hands in EVERY aspect of this team. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

How many owners make the decision as to who's going to call the plays on game day? If you want to claim that he was "wearing his GM hat" when he made that decision, no GMs do that either... other than Belichick, who is the only head coach/GM in the league right now. That should be the decision of the head coach and the head coach alone.

Our head coach just sits back and takes it for the most part. I say for the most part, because he actually attempted to take some control back at the end of the season. But now we see Callahan is supposedly going to be back and calling plays in 2014. I'm sure Garrett is making that call.

If you understand that Jerry is making the decision on who calls plays on Sundays, do you really think that the HC, scouts, etc. have final say over him when he's making personnel decisions? Things that are ACTUALLY the GM's traditional duties... Come on.

I assume you belie

I reject most of your premises. If u really beleve Jerry tells them what plays to call then I have no constructive responses.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
I reject most of your premises. If u really beleve Jerry tells them what plays to call then I have no constructive responses.
I didn't say Jerry tells them what plays to call. I said he decided last year who is going to be the play caller. He took the play calling from Garrett and gave it to Callahan.