WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Read at your own risk... :cool:

---------------------

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: Welcome to The Show! Whew, what a weekend! I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did. Let's take a look at some of the draft choices and how they may impact your team in 2007! ROLL CALL!

Kyle (San Francisco): Yo Double D! About my Niners, how do you like our draft as a whole, and how badly did we rip off the Seahawks getting Darrell Jackson for a late fourth rounder?

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: The 9ers had a very good draft. I would gie them an A for effort. They needed help at te LB level as they finally implement their 3-4 defense and Patrick Willis was agreat addition. As for the trade for D. Jackson, I like that move. Jackson is an OK receiver and the Hawks did not need him any more with all that they have in Seattle. Not to mention Jackson and his injury history may be a concern for 9er fans.

Derek (San Ramon,CA): In the future will Brady Quinn play like Aaron Rodges?

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: Time will tell. it is not like Rodgers has really played in GB behind Brett. Quinn fell for a reason, but I did not think he would fall that far. If the offense in CLV can get some protection up front, then Quinn should develop well.

Dan, Cleveland: Everyone is saying that the Browns gave up alot for the Quinn pick, but with free agency, the draft and a healthy team, I do not think the Browns are drafting in the top 10 next year and would not have gotten the best qb available next year due to being a mid round pick. They paid a 2nd to get a qb as good as anyone next year which they would have drafted in the first next year and now get the bonus of a year experience.

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: Dan, I respectfully disagree, but your opinion has merit. The Cowboys would have taken Quinn at #22, but anytime you can get what the Browns were offering, it was worth trading back. I think the Browns will struggle a bit next year, and the Cowboys will finish closer to being a playoff contender than the Browns. That will giv ethe Cowboys picks at the top and bottom of the first round and really give them options in 2008.

Fire Andy Reid (Philly): Why Kevin Kolb Why?

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: I understand the pick, but shocked that it was Kolb. Kolb has very impressive stats, but he has played in the same offense for 8 years. That actually is a bit scary, but can be a positive as well, becuase it helps to develop a player's confidence. McNabb can't play forever, so to get a guy this year and groom him for the future could pay big dividends.

Rob, Cleveland: We understand the reason Dallas made the move, however, the only QB worth taking next year will be Brohm and what Dan is saying is that the Browns hopefully won't be in the position to take him w/ that pick if they still had it

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: next year is so far away, that it is hard to focus on next year's talent today. If you can get quality today, whether that be picks or players...take it. Don't gamble for the future.

Ron (Clarks Summit, PA): STEELERS NATION ANSWERING RODD'S ROLL CALL!!! With three starting o-lineman in their last year of their contracts, will the Steelers regret not drafting an o-lineman until the 5th round? I was surprised they took Woodley in the 2nd after taking Timmons in the 1st, especially with Kalil still on the board in Round 2 and an immediate need at center after Jeff Hartings' retirement.

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: Hello! Is this Ron? Thanks for answering the call! As for the picks, Tomlin is focusing his attention on defense right now and feels he can make a more immediate impact there with the loos of Porter. And you can never have too many LBs in the 3-4 defense. Timmons and Woodley are somewhat different in play, but bothe will play primarily OLB. The organization will most likely be looking to extend the linemen in their final year of contracts, so they focused on what they felt were mor pressing needs.

M (DC): Which GM gets the highest grade for this draft? Also, we there any really dumb picks?

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: I really like wha the Raiders did in OAK. Heck, the entire Bay Area should be happy today. I gave them both A grades. I also gave As to CLV and JAX. As for bad drafts, I give that honor to WAS. What are they doing. I do not fault the Landry pick, but with only 5 picks in the draft and one very high one on draft day, they should have been more active to try and get out of that pick. they will never turn the corner by trying to build a tem through free agency. You HAVE to build through the draft. I am a pro personnel guy primarily and even agree with that philosophy.

Paul (Trenton, NJ): M. Bush in the 4th?? Steal of the draft if he is healthy, as suggested by him and Dr. Andrews?

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: Yes. One of the biggest steals if healthy. This guy has first round talent. With the number of picks (10) the Raiders had, if this guys pans out, then they hit a grand slam. If not, then they really did not lose a lot in this draft.

Rob (denver): I was not a big fan of Denver's draft. Feels like we gave up too much for Moss. I did like Marcus Thomas(a potentially great player) despite character issues. Whatd did you think?

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: I like Denver's draft, becasue of tha value of players they got, but they never addressed a key area in the WR position. Trading up for Moss was a good thing becasue they needed an all-around DE after the CLV Browns project failed and getting Thomas in the 4th could pan out if he stays out of trouble. That could also be another steal of the draft.

Dave (Washington DC): Rodd, can you please let me know why Brandon Siller slipped all the way to the 7th round. Why was he passed up so often and so long? And also why does a kid like him come out a year early, was he given poor advice?

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: Siller had major character issues. That is a big reason as to why kids sometimes come out early, because there is nothing left for them in college on the team they are on. Sometimes academic issues play a factor. Great talent despite his character flags.

Jason (Ohio): What do you think of the Bengals draft? I am starting to like the Hall and Irons picks.

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: I give CIN a C+. Good pick in Hall where they got him. He could have gone higher. Irons helps in the 2 back system that a lot of teams are starting to use. Looks like Perry is on his way out.

Ben (Baton Rouge, LA): What do you think of San Diego's pick up of Craig Davis in the first round. Even as an LSU fan I was a little surprised both of our WR's went before at least one of the USC receivers were picked.

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: Don't be surprised, Ben. Be delighted! I defintely see this. Davis has better speed and upside that D. Jarrett. I had Jarrett falling into the 2nd round. His lack of speed and seprattion hurts him at the pro level, despitehis size. Davis will make an immediate impact on a team with NO wideouts.

Fire Millen!!! (Deee-troit, MI): Other than CJ, I think the Lions did a terrible job. What do you think of their draft?

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: Other than Alama-Francis in the 3rd, I think the Lions did OK. I give them a C. CJ is a freak of nature, and the Stanton pick will be nice as he learns from Kitna on the sideline. A.J. Davis has good cover skills and could develop into a solid player as well. I would not fire Millen for this draft.

josh (ann arbor): what teams signed what rookie free agents? where can i find otu this information

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: This is always a good question. The best answer is that you really have to wait until this weekend and next weekend. That is when teams "officially" sign their players for post draft mini-camps. You can also check your local teams website and newspaper to get information that the local reporters have complied from calling all of the agents they know and from speaking with coaches. Great question though, Josh.

Grant (Minnesota): With AD as the right and first pick for the Vikings how do you grade their draft.

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: All Day A.P. was a great selection at #7. I give the Vikes a B grade. Rice is a much better WR than Williamson will ever be. McCauley is a solid, physical CB. and Rufus Alexander was a good value pick at #176 in the 6th round.

ERIC (OAKLAND,CA.): Hey Rod, I respectfully disagree I think the Radiers had a average draft, they take Russell because everyone in the media swears they need him. They take forever to trade Moss for what they probably would have got for him 2 months ago! Pass on everyone's top rated player for a guy who all they can say about him is he has a "strong arm" he better pan out!

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: I take your comments with professionalism and respct for you as well. You are somewhat correct. OAK had been trying for a while to trade Moss and really wanted CJ, but could not get the deal done in time with either DET or NE, so when it came to draft day, they HAD to take Russell becasue there were no guarantees on anything else. They are hoping that M. Williams will come around and be the player they need him to be. Remember, Williams is really not that bad, it is just when Martz does not liek you, he will really talk a player down to hopefully get the team to get rid of him. He was notorious for that in SL. But they still had an A grade draft in my opinion becasue of the value they got with their picks.

Jeff (Iowa): Besides obviously Washington Commanders (who seem to almost always have a ho hum draft) what team do you feel gained the least in the draft?

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: Seattle and Tennessee did not do as well as I would have liked to see them do. I gave both a C-. I don't feel as though either team really took the best player early or addressed needs later. We will have to see on this one.

David (Dallas): How do you grade the Cowboys' draft? Thanks!

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: B, Thanks!

BK, Boston: Hey Rod!!! loved the draftcast this weekend! How far ahead are the pats mgmt then everyone else in the league. Not only do they have the most talented team going into 07, they now have two nbr 1's, a 2nd and two nbr 3's in nxt years draft. Men amoung boys right now?

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: BK, Thanks for chscking out the draft cast over the weekend! Kudos to the Pats. They actually started their draft bregade process years ago, by trading guys and acquiring picks. It takes a little time to get it going, but they have now perfected it and their system is on automatic. Some teams value draft picks so much that they are too scared to take the time and calculated risk to set this up as well. They are sitting pretty for the 2007 seaon on paper. To me their draft was OK becasue they did not have but one Day one pick. They did get value on Day Two, though.

Kenton (Indianapolis): Rodd, I have to disagree with BK from Boston....I think the Pats are in panic mode and will try to do whatever it takes to compete with Indy and SD. They look more like the Yankees right now....a bunch of aging vets with issues.

Dan (Amelia, OH): Rodd, on to the '08 Draft! Who would you say are the top 5 prospects looking on to 2008?

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: C'mon Dan. Let's enjoy the 2007 draft before looking to 2008. LOL

Matt (Glendale, CA): Remind BK in Boston that NE gave up a 2nd and 7th for Wes Welker and Moss has never been much of a winner.

Tom (Green Bay): Hey Rodd, I appreciate the insight, but why do you (and ever other draft expert I've seen) refuse to give any team lower than a C-? Come on, man. You know there are some D's and F's to be handed out!

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: I gave a D to the Commanders, and that was only because they took Landry, otherwise it would have been an F.

David (Johnson City, TN): More props to Draftcast!! Being stuck at work wasn't all that bad. What's your take on the Falcons draft? I like the quantity AND the quality.

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: B+ for the Falcons. A bit high for J. Anderson in my opinion, but they made up for it with the Blalock, Houston, and Milner picks. Laurent Williams? I dunno about that one in the 3rd. They must see something I don't.

Brent (College Station TX): How potent is Oakland's offense going to be if Bush comes back healthy? With Curry and Porter on the outside, Zach Miller at TE, Then Rhodes and Lamont Jordan and Bush lining up in the backfield or slot? Sounds pretty scarry.

Jason (Cleveland, OH): Why don't we just get it over with and give the Pats another Lombardi Trophy. Who on Earth is goig to beat them? Their offseason moves have been spectacular. The strong seem to get stronger and the weak get weaker.

Anthony (nyc): So the only thing the Commanders could have done to have a better draft is to trade down...did it ever occur to u that nobody wanted to trade up. So they picked the best defensive player on the board and kept the whole 2008 draft picks intact and u kill them for it....Lenny P taught u well

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: They had 4 MONTHS to trade that pick. it is not like they just found out on Saturday they were picking #6. C'mon man, think about it. Yes, if you are stuck with your pick you are stuck with your pick, but to sit on #6 and not have ANYTHING else until#143 in the 5th round. taht makes NO SENSE at all. The Pats only took one pick in day one, but had other picks to move in order to make that happen, becasue they wanted to. I am almost tempeted to give them an F now after that logic on your part! I'm just messing with ya! LOL But the Skins should know better.

Damian P. (Corner Brook, NL): Chris Leak leads Florida to a national championship, and no one even uses a lousy seventh-round pick for him. Wha happen?

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: No offense, but this guys was not a full time starter his senior year, so that does cause concern.

Mike (az): Rodd,Common man, i know your years in the desert weren't marked with overhwelming success, but i need your insight here my man. I give cardinals a B. WOuld go higher if not for the buster davis pick, like everything else. YOur thougths?

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: I give the Carda a B+. I think they reached a bit for Levi. Buster is short, but productive. Kind of like Dexter Coakley. I may have given them an A if not for the Levi reach.

Jason (DC): Rodd -- can you give me any guidance on how to kick my sodapop addiction? i know you lay off all carbonated drinks, and was just looking for a few pointers (eventually i'll want to kick beer as well, but for now its baby steps)

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: you are silly Jason! Just do it baby! Just do it. I have gone 14 years this month with no carbornation! Start today! HA HA HA

sn2.gif
Rodd Newhouse: I wish we could go on all day, but my time id up. Plaes make sure to check out Floyd Reese at 5pm EST whit all these great question you guys pose to me. Let's get together again real soon! Until...I'm out!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Dan said:
Everyone is saying that the Browns gave up alot for the Quinn pick, but with free agency, the draft and a healthy team, I do not think the Browns are drafting in the top 10 next year
As Aerosmith said... Dream on.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I guess "everyone" in Cleveland has neglected to look at their schedule!!!!

Reaction score
The Cleveland Browns are the lovable losers of the NFL.. The Dog Pound is more like the Puppy Playland now....

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Cleveland has a TOUGH schedule. I would be impressed if they won 7 games.

Between their Division and the AFC East, you could almost tally them for 8 losses without even playing a single game.

They are improved but its going to be too tough.