News: ESPN: Sources: Dak extension unlikely before deadline

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Why would you want him/Dallas to go 10-7 and either missing the playoffs and going one and out?

I can understand if you expect it, but not wanting it.
What I want is for Dak to not set the market for us to chase.

I do not think Dak is going to suddenly explode in a positive way with all the additional pressure he has now loaded himself with.

Quite the opposite.

So I expect more of what we have gotten in 2019 just pay15 times more for it.

If Dallas wants him, pay what the market says pay. We have not tested anything yet except our patience.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
What I want is for Dak to not set the market for us to chase.

I do not think Dak is going to suddenly explode in a positive way with all the additional pressure he has now loaded himself with.

Quite the opposite.

So I expect more of what we have gotten in 2019 just pay15 times more for it.

If Dallas wants him, pay what the market says pay. We have not tested anything yet except our patience.
Stevie has to be telling France that there is zero way Dak gets paid more than Patrick.
No way, no how.
It would be a smart move to lower their offer after the Mahomes extension like Dak's team upped the offer after beating the first 3 carcasses of football teams last season and just smile.
"That's the way love goes."

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Who looks worse ? Dak or the Cowboys

Looks like Dak

Just me, but they BOTH look like bunch jackaeees. Don't care who/what the hold up is ......if you appreciate the kind of money being thrown around here, the deal gets done, period. Especially considering everything the country is going through.

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
Guys this is working out in the cowboys favor and that's a good thing.

This puts the ball back in Daks court to perform and perform mightly next year.

Not counting COVID, if they do play a full and normal season, he has to perform better than he did last year. The cowboys have to win in the playoffs. NFC championship appearance minimum.

If he performed good enough last year he would have been signed by now. Bottom line. High passing yards doesn't = quality. Look at all of his stats for 2019. Mid tier QB with low playoff appearances and success and het wants tobto paid like a top tier QB or a QB with lots of playoff success.

Even if he plays the next 2 years it would still be cheaper than if they signed him to 35/yr.

Cowboys get a QB that has to keep proving and maybe they get lucky and win a SB. At that point sure pay him whatever. Until then keep him locked down until either he fails, gets hurt, Dalton steps up, or we can get a good draft and start this over again.

I'm liking the cowboys tough ball. I just wish they would have done this with Zeke. You never ever be the team with the highest paid RB. It never pays off.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just me, but they BOTH look like bunch jackaeees. Don't care who/what the hold up is ......if you appreciate the kind of money being thrown around here, the deal gets done, period. Especially considering everything the country is going through.
Your attitude sounds like you would lean towards more Daks fault.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
It does not matter what kind of tag you put on him for next year because the cap number is still going to be 37.28 million and no one will give up 2 firsts when they can get him without that if they wait a year because there is no real way to tag him a 3rd time.

I think you forgot that there is no guarantee Dak signs with any team so if you can get him for draft picks maybe he'd be more inclined to work out a deal. At his point he is giving away money this year. He'll never recoup all the money he is losing now.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Prescott needs to put his name on that contract.

He isnt good enough to bet on himself, and this defense isnt good enough to win with.

Get your money NOW #4, it ain't gonna get any better for you.

That just it.....he doesn't have to be good enough. All he has to do is be the starting QB IF/when this team gets to the NFCCG. In other words, if he put up the exact stats from 2019 this season and we play in the NFCCG, who's getting the buck of the credit........Dak. Why? It's the way the NFL system/QB market is set up. Nevermind he has a better 2020 head coach and new potential elite WR. Guess what happens to his value .....again with exact stats from last season. I'm 100% confident Dak and his people have figured this out. This is the Cowboys not getting this done now is odd IMO. You've given him a better team with better coaching, new WR, potential better defense, and ST but expect a contract next to be cheaper? Strange is all I can say.........

Adreme

Reaction score
I think you forgot that there is no guarantee Dak signs with any team so if you can get him for draft picks maybe he'd be more inclined to work out a deal. At his point he is giving away money this year. He'll never recoup all the money he is losing now.

How is he giving away money? If we assume the deal was 4/5 years at about 37 AAV. He will get 31 this year and 37 next year and as a free agent he could more than get an extra 6 million (or 1.5 million per year AAV on a 4 year deal) after 2 years pass. There are a lot of arguments one can make about this contract, but none of the moves Dak has made would involve him losing any money whatsoever in the long run.

Big_D

Reaction score
How is he giving away money? If we assume the deal was 4/5 years at about 37 AAV. He will get 31 this year and 37 next year and as a free agent he could more than get an extra 6 million (or 1.5 million per year AAV on a 4 year deal) after 2 years pass. There are a lot of arguments one can make about this contract, but none of the moves Dak has made would involve him losing any money whatsoever in the long run.

Unless he gets injured or completely sucks?

Adreme

Reaction score
Unless he gets injured or completely sucks?

If he gets injured then he loses money, but that is true for any player and yet many bet on themselves and they usually win.

As for sucking, I mean it seems unlikely. If he replicates last year he easily makes what he wants, but even if he takes a small step back he should still get what he wants pretty easily. In terms of making money this is a pretty safe bet for him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That just it.....he doesn't have to be good enough. All he has to do is be the starting QB IF/when this team gets to the NFCCG. In other words, if he put up the exact stats from 2019 this season and we play in the NFCCG, who's getting the buck of the credit........Dak. Why? It's the way the NFL system/QB market is set up. Nevermind he has a better 2020 head coach and new potential elite WR. Guess what happens to his value .....again with exact stats from last season. I'm 100% confident Dak and his people have figured this out. This is the Cowboys not getting this done now is odd IMO. You've given him a better team with better coaching, new WR, potential better defense, and ST but expect a contract next to be cheaper? Strange is all I can say.........
I understand that he deserves to be paid what the going rate is now.

I just think he is being given bad advice.

Agent is trying to make a name for himself on this one, and is overplaying his hand.

Jerry loves Dak, and always overpays and caves.

Can you imagine what this guy must be asking for to make Jerry say no?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
If he gets injured then he loses money, but that is true for any player and yet many bet on themselves and they usually win.

As for sucking, I mean it seems unlikely. If he replicates last year he easily makes what he wants, but even if he takes a small step back he should still get what he wants pretty easily. In terms of making money this is a pretty safe bet for him.
To be fair, most positions get injured at an increased opportunity than QB, although he certainly isn't immune.

Big_D

Reaction score

I think playing him on the tag is best case scenario. Dak gets top 5 average, Cowboys get to see if he is efficient running a different style offense under a new HC. See how that plays out then make the long term decision?

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
. There are a lot of arguments one can make about this contract, but none of the moves Dak has made would involve him losing any money whatsoever in the long run.

Wrong. He could have had a lot more money as a signing/roster bonus last year, that money is gone. You assume that there will be teams willing to pay what he wants and that's a gamble, maybe one will but maybe not. He'll have suitors but his demands may be a turn off.

Adreme

Reaction score
Wrong. He could have had a lot more money as a signing/roster bonus last year, that money is gone. You assume that there will be teams willing to pay what he wants and that's a gamble, maybe one will but maybe not. He'll have suitors but his demands may be a turn off.

Any signing bonus he gets would still exist in whatever contract he gets. If he was offered (easy money example) 50 million signing bonus last year it would still exist whenever he signs his next contract whether it be last year, this year or next year. That money will still be there and is not lost in any way as that is not how NFL contracts work. There is no missing money for Dak. As for suitors if a franchise QB hits the open market he will get a record contract. We have seen it happen on the very rare times it does. There are maybe 15 QBs who can lead a team to a Super Bowl. Everyone wants to have one of those 15. If you do not then you will pay big money for it and there is no shortage of teams that will need a QB in 1-2 years.

Basically all Dak has to do is play close to the level he did last year and avoid any major injuries and he makes money on this move by a wide margin.