ESPN Story About Giants... Has Lesson For Cowboys

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
superpunk said:
The word is - it annoys the crap out of me. Because, in any argument, they appear to think the answer is "sweep." As if a one year anomaly somehow has ANYTHING to do with this upcoming season. If you want to be realistic, it has every bit as much relevance as us dominating them for the previous 7. None.

They HATE Dallas. Absolutely hate us. Saw on ExtremeSkins the other day a huge thread where regulars from that board had spent god knows how much time dissecting the Cowboys and came to the conclusion that Dallas won't have a winning season.

They're just as negatively biased against Dallas as they are Biased for the Commanders. Just like Lloys and Antwan Randal El are suddenly superstar recievers... TO is suddenly only a little better than average.

Seriously, here are a couple of their takes from last year to this year:

Last season - "Keyshawn is the slowest WR in football. He's terrible."
This season - "I was glad to see Dallas let Keyshawn go. He was tough and a great blocker. The Upgrade from him to T.O. is very little. Basically a wash."

Last season - "Larry Allen is the biggest joke in the NFL. He hasn't been good since the 90's and he's been getting into the pro bowl on rep for years now."
This season - "Dallas lets go of one of the best guards of all time to bring in Kosier. They get rid of a dominating force at guard and think they've upgraded."

Other gems I've read over there:

"Drew Bledsoe is the worse QB in the NFL."
Yet...
"If Drew Bledsoe gets hurt, the Cowboys season is over."

Either Bledsoe helps the Cowboys or he doesn't. :rolleyes:

They're clueless over there.

Of course, Arrington was the most dominating force in the NFL prior to him going to NY. Now he's an overrated whiner who can't play within a system.

Plus, they haven't paid attention to how many character guys parcells has brought in. They're still stuck in the 90's and proclaiming Dallas as a bunch of thugs. Nevermind that the team is full of team captains from college and academic all americans. They don't see that... only that "TO will fit right in."

And never forget that Gibbs is the best human ever to live. I always see threads like, "I remember where I was when I heard that Gibbs was coming back to coach! I nearly spudged myself when I heard he was gonna coach again. Now after taking us to THE SECOND ROUND OF THE PLAYOFFS... he's right on track to bring another superbowl to DC BABY!!!!!"

They seem to forget that the Tampa team they beat was horrific and that they never stood a chance against Seattle.

It's amusing really.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
They HATE Dallas. Absolutely hate us. Saw on ExtremeSkins the other day a huge thread where regulars from that board had spent god knows how much time dissecting the Cowboys and came to the conclusion that Dallas won't have a winning season.

Hate. Envy. It consumes them.

I could be completely content to not even discuss the Washington Commanders until the week before each game. Not them. At any given time, you can visit one of their boards and EVERY SINGLE TIME you will see a Dallas-based thread or comment.

They're just as negatively biased against Dallas as they are Biased for the Commanders. Just like Lloys and Antwan Randal El are suddenly superstar recievers... TO is suddenly only a little better than average.

Can you imagine the difference if we signed those two and they got Owens. I shudder to think.

It's amusing really.

I find it funny temporarily. After a few moments, I get incensed by the sheer amount of ignorance that oozes from them.

The Answer

Benched
Reaction score
lspain1 said:
With the exception of the Indianapolis Colts, no team seemed to be more disappointed with its finish to the 2005 season than the New York Giants. Their disastrous playoff loss to Carolina was not only unexpected but it also appeared to create some dissension within the locker room.

Team leader Tiki Barber openly questioned head coach Tom Coughlin's game plan versus Carolina and his apparent inability to make adjustments during the game. The two have since patched things up, but Barber's comments were not that far out of line. Carolina had a masterful game plan -- especially on defense. The Panthers went after quarterback Eli Manning all day with a variety of in-line stunts. The Giants' offensive line used a man-blocking scheme and simply could not deal with Carolina's loops and twists. They never switched to a zone-blocking concept, and that may have incited Barber to make those comments.

Whatever caused their demise against Carolina, the Giants were a frustrated team in the immediate aftermath. However, time has healed a lot of these wounds and the Giants have quietly put together a very productive offseason.

LINK

This article is the "outside" teaser for an insider article on the Giants. The Cowboys twist to the story is that our O-Line must face the same kind of attack from defenses. It's an important message because the G-Men O-Line was considered one of the better ones last year.

Maybe it's just me, but The Answer isn't concerned with this 'lesson' from the Giants and could care less about them.

Are we talking about the same Carolina team that we beat in their home field in a pivotal game late december that altered their playoff seeding? Yes they did blitz us repeatedly, but we made them pay with the running game for attacking Bledsoe on every down.

The Giants Oline wasn't that good and they are definitely giving them too much credit. The Giants lost their playoff game because they simply aren't that good and Eli Manning is vastly overrated. And just how Edgerrin James made older brother go in Indy, Tiki Barber was the catalyst for their offense, not Eli Manning.

~The Answer

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Sorry, I wouldn't boogie on over to an Eagles board and start talk of owning them given their recent history against us prior to Coach Parcells' arrival. That's just me. The truth is there. The facts are always there. I don't need to crow about my team's recent victories to try and secure some kind of juvenile temporary bragging rights that somehow extends past the games themselves.

Excuse me, show me one post I've made that talks about Gibbs being superior to Parcells, or about the Commanders having domination over the Cowboys. I'm not the type of person to rub in a victory, because I know I can't stand it when people rub it in after beating the Commanders. To me that shows a lack of class and honor.

When have I crowed about the Commanders recent victories here? I've only come here to talk with fellow NFC East fans and engage in debate over players, and personnel moves. It is the offseason after all.

When have I been anything but respectful towards the Dallas Cowboys as an organization here? You tell me. All the questions I've asked have been to get the opinions of fans in Cowboys nation.

In college I took a sport history course, it was a survey of recorded western sport history as measured against the principles of those who founded sport, the Greeks. The principles were agon, the struggle, and its relationship to arete, the victory. Agon is a process - the good and the bad of the struggle, that led to honor and fame, not merely a win. A victory is not truly meaningful unless you respect and know your enemy/opponent.

You won't see me bashing the Cowboys here, I will only defend myself if I'm attacked.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Excuse me, show me one post I've made that talks about Gibbs being superior to Parcells, or about the Commanders having domination over the Cowboys. I'm not the type of person to rub in a victory, because I know I can't stand it when people rub it in after beating the Commanders. To me that shows a lack of class and honor.

Go look around any Commanders board.

You will see dozens of clowns with signature pics of the Moss catch in game one or the picture of Coach Parcells in front of the scoreboard in game two. Dozens.

Contrast that here. You might see a few dogs peeing on a helmet or a few Crayton pictures, but nothing close to the obsession your fellow fans have.

When have I crowed about the Commanders recent victories here? I've only come here to talk with fellow NFC East fans and engage in debate over players, and personnel moves. It is the offseason after all.

Ever thought it isn't about you? You just happen to be an active Commander fan. And to me, that's worthy of contempt. Once I see "riggo" whether it be "riggoman", "riggoforever" or whatever, I don't care.

When have I been anything but respectful towards the Dallas Cowboys as an organization here? You tell me. All the questions I've asked have been to get the opinions of fans in Cowboys nation.

And if I showed up on a Commander board with a Staubach username, you think I would get greeted with tact and dignified class? You need to get to understand your fellow simiens better.

In college I took a sport history course, it was a survey of recorded western sport history as measured against the principles of those who founded sport, the Greeks. The principles were agon, the struggle, and its relationship to arete, the victory. Agon is a process - the good and the bad of the struggle, that led to honor and fame, not merely a win. A victory is not truly meaningful unless you respect and know your enemy/opponent.

You won't see me bashing the Cowboys here, I will only defend myself if I'm attacked.

If you don't care for the reaction, quit wearing your Commander pride here. If you insist, then be prepared. I would expect no less visiting a rival board.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Go look around any Commanders board.

You will see dozens of clowns with signature pics of the Moss catch in game one or the picture of Coach Parcells in front of the scoreboard in game two. Dozens.
quote]

Ok, point taken. But to be honest the only time I have contempt for Cowboy fans is for about 3.5 hours twice, on the rare occasion three times a year.

The Moss catches last year gave us the confidence we needed to make the playoffs, because since 1998 there has been like a hex against the Commanders in the rivalry. So for many people including myself its not intended to slight the Cowboys, but rather just a sign that its a rivalry again.