ESPN. the new MTV for sports

jday

Reaction score
ESPN is to sports what MTV is to music; they report all around sports, but rarely do they dive into actual football; or at least, here lately. For seven months football fans have waited for football news, and ESPN is under the vastly mistaken impression that we care how unlucky Lucky was, as evidenced by yesterday post practice press conference with Jason Garrett. And the truth of the matter is, despite the unfortunate events behind his dismissal, this is the absolute best thing that could have possibly happened to Lucky because his future (or lack thereof) with the Cowboys was solidified the moment they turned in Ryan Switzer’s card during the draft. At least now Lucky has the opportunity to catch on with another team before training camp begins as opposed to hoping and praying someone can find room on their final 53 following final cuts in early September. Lucky knows it, we know it, ESPN knows it. But to acknowledge that would be to let slip all the potential drama they can stir up in the wake of this otherwise unfortunate happenstance.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They search out story lines now rather than actual sports-related news, scores, analysis, highlights, etc.

And with that, the higher the drama factor, the more they will cover it.

It's getting so ridiculous - I can see why so many people have stopped watching ESPN.

aria

Reaction score
Thoughts? Whether it's best for Lucky or not the Cowboys epically botched this in every way possible. As much as I despise ESPN, I do think this is pretty news worthy. I mean when was the last time you heard of a player be falsely misrepresented that resulted in a warrant and then his team fires him for it without gathering all the facts or believing him?

It was a total knee jerk reaction and hypocritical of how they've handled other players.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Then again, it's the middle of July and the only sport being played right now is baseball - so actual sports-related content is pretty sparse. Sportscenter has had "Top 10 Plays" that included homemade clips of guys dunking, ultimate frisbee, and some European sports I've never even heard of.

So if they have a story to report on in the NFL, especially if it's with the Cowboys, they'll be all over it. I just don't like how they have turned into a glorified gossip column in some ways.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
ESPN is to sports what MTV is to music; they report all around sports, but rarely do they dive into actual football; or at least, here lately. For seven months football fans have waited for football news, and ESPN is under the vastly mistaken impression that we care how unlucky Lucky was, as evidenced by yesterday post practice press conference with Jason Garrett. And the truth of the matter is, despite the unfortunate events behind his dismissal, this is the absolute best thing that could have possibly happened to Lucky because his future (or lack thereof) with the Cowboys was solidified the moment they turned in Ryan Switzer’s card during the draft. At least now Lucky has the opportunity to catch on with another team before training camp begins as opposed to hoping and praying someone can find room on their final 53 following final cuts in early September. Lucky knows it, we know it, ESPN knows it. But to acknowledge that would be to let slip all the potential drama they can stir up in the wake of this otherwise unfortunate happenstance.

Thoughts?

I do not give a dam about ESPN or MTV.
:espn:

jday

Reaction score
Thoughts? Whether it's best for Lucky or not the Cowboys epically botched this in every way possible. As much as I despise ESPN, I do think this is pretty news worthy. I mean when was the last time you heard of a player be falsely misrepresented that resulted in a warrant and then his team fires him for it without gathering all the facts or believing him?

It was a total knee jerk reaction and hypocritical of how they've handled other players.
You can't be serious, aria. Knee jerk? Hypocritical? It may be all of those things, but who cares? We are talking about a bottom of the roster receiver who struggles to run routes, was largely used as a gimmick and a blocker and was barely serviceable as a punt returner. He was not going to make the final 53 and everyone knows it. Now he has a better opportunity of making another squad then what he would have had he been a final cut. This is one of those end justifies the means situations. It doesn't matter how we got to this point, what matters is that in the end it was truly a win-win for everyone involved....save Todd Archer...which in light of recent events and his inability to let non-football related drama go, I'm actually happy about that.

jday

Reaction score
Then again, it's the middle of July and the only sport being played right now is baseball - so actual sports-related content is pretty sparse. Sportscenter has had "Top 10 Plays" that included homemade clips of guys dunking, ultimate frisbee, and some European sports I've never even heard of.

So if they have a story to report on in the NFL, especially if it's with the Cowboys, they'll be all over it. I just don't like how they have turned into a glorified gossip column in some ways.
I'm really specifically attacking the manner in which ESPN grilled Garrett about Lucky and the subsequent article Todd Archer wrote about it. But obviously the TV coverage it garnered was also nauseating. But to your point, I get it. News is slow and the Dallas Cowboys are the best click-bait the national media has.

aria

Reaction score
You can't be serious, aria. Knee jerk? Hypocritical? It may be all of those things, but who cares? We are talking about a bottom of the roster receiver who struggles to run routes, was largely used as a gimmick and a blocker and was barely serviceable as a punt returner. He was not going to make the final 53 and everyone knows it. Now he has a better opportunity of making another squad then what he would have had he been a final cut. This is one of those end justifies the means situations. It doesn't matter how we got to this point, what matters is that in the end it was truly a win-win for everyone involved....save Todd Archer...which in light of recent events and his inability to let non-football related drama go, I'm actually happy about that.
I agree it's better for Lucky but I completely disagree with how it was handled, bottom of the roster player or not. It was hypocritical and unprofessional. Just because he's not a top tier player doesn't negate how bad they handled it.

Not to mention, the only mesage it sent to the players is that if you're a low level player we have zero tolerance but if you're a high level player we'll do everything we can to protect you. Some players may look at that as a free pass because they know from a team standpoint they're "untouchable".

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

Thoughts?
Tabloid news is all they care about. I haven't turned ESPN on at all.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
I agree it's better for Lucky but I completely disagree with how it was handled, bottom of the roster player or not. It was hypocritical and unprofessional. Just because he's not a top tier player doesn't negate how bad they handled it.

Not to mention, the only mesage it sent to the players is that if you're a low level player we have zero tolerance but if you're a high level player we'll do everything we can to protect you. Some players may look at that as a free pass because they know from a team standpoint they're "untouchable".

I read a report today characterizing Jerry as upset to the point that his voice was shaking while defending the decision.

The problem I have in assessing the situation is I don't know what has transpired before, outside the public eye. I don't know if Lucky's been a problem at other times. I also don't know how he characterized the situation to management or if even notified them about the latest issue. I'm speculating here, but I don't think the Cowboys cut the guy if this the first time they've had a problem with him.

jday

Reaction score
You've pared it down to just a single paragraph before "popping the question" Yea!

ESPN has lost its way. Now its losing viewers. I won't predict it will drown, but its certainly floundering.
I essentially wrote the hole of that during my commute to work today in my head. So when I got to work I just put it down and hit submit. No further details were necessary.

But that one paragraph is usually how most of my stuff starts. It acts as a framework to what I want to say and i just expound on it.

jday

Reaction score

I'm not sure how long you have followed football, aria (that's not intended as a slight so please do not take it that way), but the bolded part of your response above has been a reality in football for longer than I have been alive. It's cliche.

Did they handle it the best? Probably not. But bad stuff happens to people every day. People make poor choices every day. If how they handled it was wrong, oh well, that's just about par for the course for every single person alive. I can tolerate bad choices. What I cannot tolerate is a media entity that will blast our fo for accountability and behavior issues for 30 minutes of a 45 minute opening training camp press conference and then turn right around and blast the fo for attempting to address that same type of situation in a manner that they championed a few days ago in regards to other players such as Wilson. Was it a knee jerk reaction? Probably. But given everything that has happened over the past two or three weeks, do you really honestly blame them?

If you do, the Cowboys organization is not the only hypocrite in this debate.

jday

Reaction score
I read a report today characterizing Jerry as upset to the point that his voice was shaking while defending the decision.

The problem I have in assessing the situation is I don't know what has transpired before, outside the public eye. I don't know if Lucky's been a problem at other times. I also don't know how he characterized the situation to management or if even notified them about the latest issue. I'm speculating here, but I don't think the Cowboys cut the guy if this the first time they've had a problem with him.

Players get cut for stupid reasons all the time. Rather or not they were ultimately justified in their decision is so far from the point they are not even in the same zip code because at the end of the day Jerry doesn't need a good reason to cut a player; it's his team, he can do whatever he wants however he wants whenever he wants when it comes to the team he owns and manages. I really wish Jerry would have just simply said that and been done with it. But because they went the political route, they only gave the media more wiggle room to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

aria

Reaction score
I'm not sure how long you have followed football, aria (that's not intended as a slight so please do not take it that way), but the bolded part of your response above has been a reality in football for longer than I have been alive. It's cliche.

Did they handle it the best? Probably not. But bad stuff happens to people every day. People make poor choices every day. If how they handled it was wrong, oh well, that's just about par for the course for every single person alive. I can tolerate bad choices. What I cannot tolerate is a media entity that will blast our fo for accountability and behavior issues for 30 minutes of a 45 minute opening training camp press conference and then turn right around and blast the fo for attempting to address that same type of situation in a manner that they championed a few days ago in regards to other players such as Wilson. Was it a knee jerk reaction? Probably. But given everything that has happened over the past two or three weeks, do you really honestly blame them?

If you do, the Cowboys organization is not the only hypocrite in this debate.
No offense taken and thanks for clarifying that :) I realize that what you bolded has been going on in football forever but it doesn't make it right nor does it send any kind of message to some of the players it should be directed at so I think its pointless. By firing Lucky the way they did, all it showed me, and a lot of people, is how bad they handled the situation, how hypocritical they are and how unprofessional they are.

I don't agree with your statement "Did they handle it the best? Probably not. But bad stuff happens to people every day. People make poor choices every day. If how they handled it was wrong, oh well, that's just about par for the course for every single person alive. I can tolerate bad choices"

If you truly believe that then I can only assume you wouldn't be upset if Goodell suspended Zeke for reasons you didn't agree with or should I say you would "tolerate bad choices"? If Zeke gets suspended, it will be for one or two games for things he has done that have been well publicized (whether we agree with it or not). Lucky got FIRED (not a one or two game suspension) due to something he didn't do. If the other "incidents" that the Cowboys say added up to his firing were that big of a deal then why didn't they fire him before this since he wasn't guilty of what he was accused of?

Again, this is one of the few times where I will side with the media. Firing a guy over something he is innocent of and trying to cover it up with robotic preprogrammed excuses IS newsworthy IMO. This was a guys job and reputation. Absolutely I will blame them for their knee jerk reaction, who else is there to blame? Not Lucky. Perhaps the media wouldn't have blasted them as much if they weren't saying one thing and doing another. It's laughable and sad.They served a turd sandwich, covered it with potpourri and tried to tell us it smelled good. Few people are buying it.

They should have just came out and said "we messed up and would like to apologize to Lucky for the way we handled the situation up but talent wise he wasn't the right fit for our team so we're moving forward without him". If they had said that, I would have had much more respect for them and I don't think the media would be hounding them as much either. They brought the attention on themselves and deservedly so IMO.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
In the 90's my friends and I used to joke that 'Eventually MTV will find a way to ruin everything.' They would have great ideas for shows and eventually they would ruin it with this uninspired, mass produced product. And if you look back, you see how they tried to be PC when they could, but the 90's culture would usually reject it. Their PC nature would still infiltrate the product and ruin things for the viewer.

I see a lot of that with ESPN. SportsCenter is unwatchable. They had NFL Primetime with Berman and Tom Jackson and foolishly gave up those rights to NBC. Anything involved with the NBA is unwatchable. The same with the NFL pregame and they have completely ruined college basketball from a pregame show perspective. Even 30 for 30 has dropped dramatically in terms of quality as it has taken a clear direction towards fanboy documentaries instead of insightful stories.

YR

jday

Reaction score
No offense taken and thanks for clarifying that :) I realize that what you bolded has been going on in football forever but it doesn't make it right nor does it send any kind of message to some of the players it should be directed at so I think its pointless. By firing Lucky the way they did, all it showed me, and a lot of people, is how bad they handled the situation, how hypocritical they are and how unprofessional they are.

I don't agree with your statement "Did they handle it the best? Probably not. But bad stuff happens to people every day. People make poor choices every day. If how they handled it was wrong, oh well, that's just about par for the course for every single person alive. I can tolerate bad choices"

If you truly believe that then I can only assume you wouldn't be upset if Goodell suspended Zeke for reasons you didn't agree with or should I say you would "tolerate bad choices"? If Zeke gets suspended, it will be for one or two games for things he has done that have been well publicized (whether we agree with it or not). Lucky got FIRED (not a one or two game suspension) due to something he didn't do. If the other "incidents" that the Cowboys say added up to his firing were that big of a deal then why didn't they fire him before this since he wasn't guilty of what he was accused of?

Again, this is one of the few times where I will side with the media. Firing a guy over something he is innocent of and trying to cover it up with robotic preprogrammed excuses IS newsworthy IMO. This was a guys job and reputation. Absolutely I will blame them for their knee jerk reaction, who else is there to blame? Not Lucky. Perhaps the media wouldn't have blasted them as much if they weren't saying one thing and doing another. It's laughable and sad.They served a turd sandwich, covered it with potpourri and tried to tell us it smelled good. Few people are buying it.

They should have just came out and said "we messed up and would like to apologize to Lucky for the way we handled the situation up but talent wise he wasn't the right fit for our team so we're moving forward without him". If they had said that, I would have had much more respect for them and I don't think the media would be hounding them as much either. They brought the attention on themselves and deservedly so IMO.
As for my take on Zeke, see here: http://cowboyszone.com/threads/hide-and-go-zeke.378104/

The first thing you have to understand is that the response Jerry/Stephen/Jason parroted throughout the day was not their own words. Those were the words their lawyers/public relations department crafted in the wake of Lucky's proved innocence. They pay their lawyers and public relations department to handle those types of situations so that their focus can be where it needs to be...which is not on a guy who was at this point a camp body, given the Switzer aquisition.

That said, if I'm Jerry's PR person, I tell Jason and Stephen to shut up and let Jerry say the following: I am the owner and the gm. I will do what I want, when I want, how I want. Any questions?

jday

Reaction score
In the 90's my friends and I used to joke that 'Eventually MTV will find a way to ruin everything.' They would have great ideas for shows and eventually they would ruin it with this uninspired, mass produced product. And if you look back, you see how they tried to be PC when they could, but the 90's culture would usually reject it. Their PC nature would still infiltrate the product and ruin things for the viewer.

I see a lot of that with ESPN. SportsCenter is unwatchable. They had NFL Primetime with Berman and Tom Jackson and foolishly gave up those rights to NBC. Anything involved with the NBA is unwatchable. The same with the NFL pregame and they have completely ruined college basketball from a pregame show perspective. Even 30 for 30 has dropped dramatically in terms of quality as it has taken a clear direction towards fanboy documentaries instead of insightful stories.

YR
This exactly.