ESPN - Thompson moved to WR

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Paul Thompson started the season throwing Oklahoma's passes. Now, the junior will be catching the passes.

Sooners coach Bob Stoops said Monday that Thompson will be switched to wide receiver, ESPN's Joe Schad reported.

"He's an excellent athlete who's worked hard and we want the opportunity to get him on the field," Stoops said. "Rhett Bomar has got four years in front of him and he's ahead in some areas right now."

Thompson, a 6-foot-4 right-hander, bided his time behind Nate Hybl and White to earn the spot as Oklahoma's top quarterback before the season began, but he was replaced by Bomar after the Sooners were upset in their opener by TCU.

Thompson was the backup as Hybl guided the Sooners to the Rose Bowl, and played in 10 games during White's 2003 Heisman Trophy season. He redshirted last season as White returned for a sixth year with the Sooners.

In 15 career games, Thompson has completed 42 of 73 passes for 428 yards and four touchdowns, with three interceptions. In 2003, he rushed for 183 yards and three touchdowns on 25 carries and some fans thought he should have played in the national championship game as LSU's defense pressured White, who was still recovering from two knee surgeries.

Regarded as the team's quarterback of the future, Bomar came to Oklahoma last season from Grand Prairie High School. He had thrown for 6,097 yards and 58 touchdowns in his career there and was regarded by many as the nation's No. 2 recruit behind Adrian Peterson.

They should have moved Paul to WR 2 years ago. Its all Bomars baby now.

royhitshard

Reaction score
I am truly glad to see him get some playing time. He is great on the run. My only concern is if he gets hurt. With all the shots Bomar took on Sat., theye cannot afford to lose Thompson. I am sure the shots Bomar takes will only increase. I hope he does well. Bomar to Thompson...TOUCHDOWN! Boy I long to hear that!

NickZepp

Reaction score
I think he probably gets less playing time at WR then he would have if he stayed just as a QB.