ESPN Today

Novacek84

Reaction score
I posted most of the following thought in the "Kornheiser goes to MNF" thread but thought some discussion about ESPN and what they are doing deserved its own thread:

ESPN is truly driving away the hardcore sportsfan such as myself, and has been for years. Their signature show- Sports Center- is unwatchable in my opinion. Many people who are major sports fans agree. What does that say about the direction they are heading in? Stuart Scott represents everything that is wrong with ESPN and he is a major personality for them. It's all about style over substance. I can't believe I don't watch Sports Center but it's just too much. I'd rather watch ESPN News and get the news & scores I need and then move on. The only shows I can watch on that network now are Baseball Tonight and NFL Live. Even Sunday Countdown is a fluff piece (except for Tom Jackson who deserves better.) These guys running ESPN have truly lost it. Thoughts??

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Nice post...I agree about them being about too much style.

I think the show is not as enjoyable now because its not just highlights. Back in the day it was all highlights of every game, now they try to have little tidbits of something or other, and skimp out on games from all sports. They focus too much on the headlines.

They are a lot like MTV...used to be all music now its just TV
used to be all sports, no its just sports TV

hope that makes sense

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Novacek84 said:
I posted most of the following thought in the "Kornheiser goes to MNF" thread but thought some discussion about ESPN and what they are doing deserved its own thread:

ESPN is truly driving away the hardcore sportsfan such as myself, and has been for years. Their signature show- Sports Center- is unwatchable in my opinion. Many people who are major sports fans agree. What does that say about the direction they are heading in? Stuart Scott represents everything that is wrong with ESPN and he is a major personality for them. It's all about style over substance. I can't believe I don't watch Sports Center but it's just too much. I'd rather watch ESPN News and get the news & scores I need and then move on. The only shows I can watch on that network now are Baseball Tonight and NFL Live. Even Sunday Countdown is a fluff piece (except for Tom Jackson who deserves better.) These guys running ESPN have truly lost it. Thoughts??

ESPN has been going downhill for a long time now. They have sold out to the hype over substance in their attempt to draw a younger crowd.

I don't watch it much anymore except to look at the ticker at the bottom for scores.

YN1SCOTT

Reaction score
Novacek84 said:

Could agree with you any more!!!!!!

Monday night football should be FOOTBALL not Dennis Miller

Sports Center should be SPORT's not the hot seat, Stew scott or this dancing with the stars guy!!!!

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
I haven't watched Sportscenter in a couple of years.

I remember watching the very first time ESPN aired in the wide eyed wonder of youth (Was everyone's commercials 5X louder than the shows or was it just my cable), but we're the ones to blame for the travesty that is ESPN though. The public made Chris Berman the first "superstar" on their network. Guys like George Grande were afterthoughts as we waited to see what nickname Berman would come up with next.

ESPN realized that they had a hit in Berman and tried to emulate him with a series of more and more self serving personalities, from Olberman to Kilborn and now Scott. I've often thought of the day when Scott is canned but what would they subject us to after him trying to push the envelope even further. Steven A. Smith 24/7 ???

Ownership changes didn't help either but I can't think of a worse match than Disney/ABC.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
That goes for me too. I used to be a Sports Center fanatic. Now, I tune in to Espn2 and read the news scrolled at the bottom of the picture. At least I can look at the menu and see what league is coming up next so I don't have to watch everything in order to see what I really like.

NorTex

Reaction score
I totally agree...I never watch sportscenter or any other program with Stuart Scott. That guy's ego is way over inflated...soooooooooo boring!

2much2soon

Reaction score
I used to be a hardcore ESPN fan back in the '80, but like all of you, I just can't stomach it anymore. I don't know what they are thinking over there with all their nonsense.
ESPN's mission statement should be "We are bigger than the sports we cover"

mbanx

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
ESPN has been going downhill for a long time now. They have sold out to the hype over substance in their attempt to draw a younger crowd.

I don't watch it much anymore except to look at the ticker at the bottom for scores.

Exactly, when I was younger I watched every morning, now it just annoys the hell out of me. I don't know if they got more hokie and annoying or if I just got old.

mbanx

Reaction score
calcbfan1 said:
I totally agree...I never watch sportscenter or any other program with Stuart Scott. That guy's ego is way over inflated...soooooooooo boring!

What are you talking about? Scotts ego is "as cool as the other side of the pillow". What are you doing now playing "Yahtzee" if you are then make sure you yell "Booyaa" if you win. :lmao2:

Hiero

Reaction score
mbanx said:
What are you talking about? Scotts ego is "as cool as the other side of the pillow". What are you doing now playing "Yahtzee" if you are then make sure you yell "Booyaa" if you win. :lmao2:
that cross eyed freak is the worst sports guy on TV.

mbanx

Reaction score
Hiero said:
that cross eyed freak is the worst sports guy on TV.

He really is if I happen to watch him for any amount of time it makes me sick, while being embarrased for him at the same time.

Novacek84

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
I haven't watched Sportscenter in a couple of years.

I remember watching the very first time ESPN aired in the wide eyed wonder of youth (Was everyone's commercials 5X louder than the shows or was it just my cable), but we're the ones to blame for the travesty that is ESPN though. The public made Chris Berman the first "superstar" on their network. Guys like George Grande were afterthoughts as we waited to see what nickname Berman would come up with next.

ESPN realized that they had a hit in Berman and tried to emulate him with a series of more and more self serving personalities, from Olberman to Kilborn and now Scott. I've often thought of the day when Scott is canned but what would they subject us to after him trying to push the envelope even further. Steven A. Smith 24/7 ???

Ownership changes didn't help either but I can't think of a worse match than Disney/ABC.
Totally agree with you. The bottom line is that Disney should not be in the sports TV business. They are used to marketing to kids and teens and there is no place for that on a 24 hour sports network. It's sad what they have become. My list of things wrong with the network:

Stuart Scott (as I mentioned already)
Suzy Kolber (adds nothing to a broadcast)
ESPN Hollywood (Oh my God)
Cold Pizza (nice try but no dice)
Mike Greenburg (whiny talk show host w/limited knowledge)
Stephen A. Smith (just another loudmouth who makes everything about race)
Tony "Kornhole" (a MNF disaster waiting to happen)

Should I go on? You know, I used to think Rich Eisen was bad, and he was at ESPN, but now that he's at NFL Network he's not so bad. He's toned down the act a lot and actually comes across as a credible voice. It just goes to show what kind of act you have to put on if you want to make it at ESPN. The exceptions are guys like Chris Fowler who have been there forever and are good. But you never see those types on Sportscenter anymore. They've been moved to the specialty shows that focus on one sport, which is fine because that's what makes those shows watchable anyway.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
The public made Chris Berman the first "superstar" on their network. Guys like George Grande were afterthoughts as we waited to see what nickname Berman would come up with next.

Very good theory.

I used to like Berman in the 1980s, but at some point he turned into Bozo the Clown. And I wonder if Stuart Scott realizes that he is universally disliked.

You mentioned George Grande. I miss that guy and a few others like Charlie Steiner. Bob Ley is still solid and Chris Fowler is good. Also, the Baseball Tonight crew (Karl Ravetch, Harold Reynolds, etc.) is good.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
I agree w/ you folks. All I watch now is the NFL Network.

I cant stand Berman.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Make it another agree on the demise of ESPN... The schtick and hype make it unwatchable. IMO they're suffering from having what amounts to a monopoly on the business. In effect, they're able to do anything they want with no fear of competition.

It's too bad CNN-SI went off the air at just the wrong time. I enjoyed its low-key, substance-over-style approach. Maybe it or another competitor to ESPN can come back someday.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Make it another agree on the demise of ESPN... The schtick and hype make it unwatchable. IMO they're suffering from having what amounts to a monopoly on the business. In effect, they're able to do anything they want with no fear of competition.

It's too bad CNN-SI went off the air at just the wrong time. I enjoyed its low-key, substance-over-style approach. Maybe it or another competitor to ESPN can come back someday.

I agree about CNNSI. It was just starting to become my choice when it went off the air.

As long as we're reminiscing about the good old days of ESPN, I think the late Tom Mees should get a mention as an outstanding anchor.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Chief said:
Very good theory.

I used to like Berman in the 1980s, but at some point he turned into Bozo the Clown. And I wonder if Stuart Scott realizes that he is universally disliked.

You mentioned George Grande. I miss that guy and a few others like Charlie Steiner. Bob Ley is still solid and Chris Fowler is good. Also, the Baseball Tonight crew (Karl Ravetch, Harold Reynolds, etc.) is good.

They have run off every talented sportscaster they had to keep Chris Berman around because he is as you said, very much the clown. I suppose he makes someone laugh. It certainly isn't me.