ESPN Today

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
calcbfan1 said:
I totally agree...I never watch sportscenter or any other program with Stuart Scott. That guy's ego is way over inflated...soooooooooo boring!

When he starts belting out the irritating urban slang catch phrases and yelps, I am scrambling for my remote control.

And back to CNN, I used to enjoy Fred Hickman and Vince Cellini. I wonder what became of them.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
I interrupt this ESPN bashing thread to bring you this mild voice of dissent:

Let me be the voice of dissent. While I agree with a lot of what folks have said, I do still watch SportsCenter when I have time and I enjoy it. I do skip it during big buildups (like Super Bowl week) if I'm not interested in the game or the teams.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled ESPN bashing thread.

:)

wileedog

Reaction score
Have to admit I always enjoyed the Olberman/Patrick duo.

Haven't really watched ESPN since, as the above-mentioned Scott is simply unwatchable, and every one else is trying their hardest to match his 'unwatchableness'.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Ya know, I remember thinking back when I was young, why dont they put real pple in TV shows. You know how the wife is always drop dead gorgeous and could win miss USA just rolling out of bed. The Husband is a well educated executive somewhere. Then Rosanne came out and I was taught a lesson. Thats why you dont put real pple in TV shows. She sucks.

Stuart scott is right up this vein. How come you never see anyone with a disfigurement, well Stuart scott and his eyes are just that. Man, its hard to look at and should not be front and center. Wearing dark glasses indoors to cover it makes him look arrogant or stupid.

Hes a perfect example of why the TV personalities should be QG models and Hollywood movie star gorgoeus. I cant stand to look at him and wether hes good at what he does or not, that eye distracts from the whole story.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WOW...we have 100% agreemant on here, is this a first?

I rarely watch SC anymore also. Maybe a few minutes here and there. Even 10 years ago I started taping it (before TIVO, which I still don't have) and just FF through all the crap.

Now SC is almost worthless. With NFLN, local shows (for Cowboys news) and the Internet, and this teriffic site COWBOYSZONE. It's all I need. I don't even go to ESPN website as often. I don't want TIVO yet. But may get it by this next NFL season. Never had a need for it. Don't watch much TV. Now that football is over, my TV will be on maybe about 10 - 30 minutes a day.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Novacek84 said:
I posted most of the following thought in the "Kornheiser goes to MNF" thread but thought some discussion about ESPN and what they are doing deserved its own thread:

ESPN is truly driving away the hardcore sportsfan such as myself, and has been for years. Their signature show- Sports Center- is unwatchable in my opinion. Many people who are major sports fans agree. What does that say about the direction they are heading in? Stuart Scott represents everything that is wrong with ESPN and he is a major personality for them. It's all about style over substance. I can't believe I don't watch Sports Center but it's just too much. I'd rather watch ESPN News and get the news & scores I need and then move on. The only shows I can watch on that network now are Baseball Tonight and NFL Live. Even Sunday Countdown is a fluff piece (except for Tom Jackson who deserves better.) These guys running ESPN have truly lost it. Thoughts??

I see that you were born in 1970. I was born in 1967

I sometimes suspect that we are out of touch with our younger peers. Schtick and "in your face inuendo" seems to be the style of the day.

And media seems to primarily be targeting males in their teens and 20's. Perhaps because they are more likely to be single, and don't have to ask the wifes permission to spend cash on toys and beer :p:

I stopped listening to sports radio for the same reasons you mentioned above. Sports radio used to be about sports. But I'm not sure what it is about now.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Fred is actually working for (gulp!) ESPN now.

Vince is cleaning the grease traps at the Sonic Drive-In off 8th Street in Odessa.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Avery said:
Fred is actually working for (gulp!) ESPN now.

Vince is cleaning the grease traps at the Sonic Drive-In off 8th Street in Odessa.

Really? I haven't seen him.

They must have him buried somewhere. But then again, I don't watch SportsCenter unless desperate.

Novacek84

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
I see that you were born in 1970. I was born in 1967

I sometimes suspect that we are out of touch with our younger peers. Schtick and "in your face inuendo" seems to be the style of the day.

And media seems to primarily be targeting males in their teens and 20's. Perhaps because they are more likely to be single, and don't have to ask the wifes permission to spend cash on toys and beer :p:

I stopped listening to sports radio for the same reasons you mentioned above. Sports radio used to be about sports. But I'm not sure what it is about now.
If you want a good sports talk program with no schtick I encourage you to get Direct TV and watch the Mike and the Mad Dog show on the YES network. Being from CT I get it on radio as well but if you can deal with the NY sports angle and all the constant NY media coverage it really is a good, no nonsense show. They are the best I've heard on sports radio talk. They really get to the heart of the issues.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Second interuption to the thread.

Guess I'm just part of the small group keeping these guys on the air. I much prefer SportsCenter to anything else on. NFL Network is pretty good during the season, but I find it unwatchable from the Pro Bowl thru camp, with a two week exception for the draft. But I catch SC for other things besides the NFL, so maybe that's the difference here.