News: ESPN: Twitter mailbag: Skepticism at how far rookie stars can carry Cowboys

NewsBot

Reaction score
Twitter mailbag: Skepticism at how far rookie stars can carry Cowboys

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys Twitter mailbag is ready.

In it we discuss:

** How far can Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott carry the Cowboys?

** Playing rookies not named Prescott, Elliott

** Morris Claiborne

Away we go:

@toddarcher: What some call negativity others might call skepticism. We just haven't seen this from two rookies before. That's not to say it can't happen but history tells a different story. Elliott's job is easier than Prescott's. I think we can all agree on that. I don't see him hitting any kind of rookie wall. I don't see Prescott hitting a wall, but I think you're seeing teams doing more things that cause him trouble now that there is more film on him. That's only natural. The same thing happened to Tony Romo in 2006 and Romo made great improvement in 2007. Prescott has been great. He has exceeded all expectations, but there are signs, despite the great completion percentages and passer ratings, that things are changing a little bit. Coverages are more complex. The same goes with pressure packages. They will only get more difficult the bigger the games get down the stretch. Jason Garrett preaches the process, the process, the process. There are times where I think they are just looking at the results. But back to the question, I don't think people are being negative about the Cowboys. They have the best record in football. They can have home-field advantage. I think most are enjoying the ride, but I don't think having skepticism is a bad thing.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
We will see how much support Dak has after the next loss. I think many of you will immediately call for Romo. I've seen Dak struggle more when Zeke is unable to get anything going. I've not seen a whole bunch that points to Dak needing to sit. if Archer is suggesting otherwise , please compare film on Dak to other QBS in the league . it's like only a small percentage of you guys watch football outside of the Dallas Cowboys . I do and I can tell you all quarterbacks in this league have warts. . All of them. Dak is a top 10 QB in this league as a rookie. He will do nothing but get better and better. Film shows you tendencies and what the player does well and what he struggles with. Dak has the mind to overcome his faults .

Great time to be a Cowboy fan. Great things are coming for this franchise .

mahoneybill

Reaction score
ESPN trolling for clicks.

To me the DEz comment of " we follow these guys" is all I need to know. When a vet says that about a rookie you know theres chemistry, and a desire to succeed for them and all....

Great to have that team feeling again.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
We will see how much support Dak has after the next loss. I think many of you will immediately call for Romo. I've seen Dak struggle more when Zeke is unable to get anything going. I've not seen a whole bunch that points to Dak needing to sit. if Archer is suggesting otherwise , please compare film on Dak to other QBS in the league . it's like only a small percentage of you guys watch football outside of the Dallas Cowboys . I do and I can tell you all quarterbacks in this league have warts. . All of them. Dak is a top 10 QB in this league as a rookie. He will do nothing but get better and better. Film shows you tendencies and what the player does well and what he struggles with. Dak has the mind to overcome his faults .

Great time to be a Cowboy fan. Great things are coming for this franchise .

Even if Dak has a multiple interception game, I'm still backing him as starter. I hate what happened to Tony Romo, but there's no turning back now. We've seen enough of Dak to know he's the future. Romo is the past. He will only see action if Dak gets hurt.
Romo will not be here next year, not as a backup. Book it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Even if Dak has a multiple interception game, I'm still backing him as starter. I hate what happened to Tony Romo, but there's no turning back now. We've seen enough of Dak to know he's the future. Romo is the past. He will only see action if Dak gets hurt.
Romo will not be here next year, not as a backup. Book it.
Stout lad, you said what's in me heart. You are a student of the game and a bard.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the record, having some skepticism (using Archer's words) about Dak as the season goes on, does not mean you want to go back to Romo. You can look at Dak in a vacuum and wonder how far the team the can go with him at the helm if his rookie struggles continue.

And no matter what anyone says about his stats, he has had some struggles. He and the team have overcome it, and I think he can continue to overcome it. At least I hope he can.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
For the record, having some skepticism (using Archer's words) about Dak as the season goes on, does not mean you want to go back to Romo. You can look at Dak in a vacuum and wonder how far the team the can go with him at the helm if his rookie struggles continue.

And no matter what anyone says about his stats, he has had some struggles. He and the team have overcome it, and I think he can continue to overcome it. At least I hope he can.
What rookie struggles are there to continue? I mean, he hasn't been perfect but there haven't been any "struggles" and the guy has been a top 10 QB this season.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Missing receivers. Not seeing the field. Still need work on his.mechanics. And in general, the offensive slow starts.

All correctable, but the slow starts are worrisome to me the most.
When the guy is already a top 10 QB in the league, I think it may a bit overreactionary to be worried about Dak.

I'm on record saying I don't think we make the SB this year, but it won't be because of the rookies, I don't think.

mahoneybill

Reaction score

I'll take 11 win struggles any day compared to our past seasons... No QB is perfect, but Dak has at least not gifted the opposition anything big at this point....

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Top 10 in a down year for the league in overall QB play? Nope, I'm not willing to go there.

Dak has played well, tho, despite my concerns. So it is what it is. I'm enjoying the rode.
Hey to each their own. But I just find it hard to be concerned about a guy who is having arguably the greatest rookie season of all time. Yeah, he has stuff he needs to work on, but all rookies do. I'm not sure how one can expect a rookie QB to even be as good as Dak's been, much less better.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey to each their own. But I just find it hard to be concerned about a guy who is having arguably the greatest rookie season of all time. Yeah, he has stuff he needs to work on, but all rookies do. I'm not sure how one can expect a rookie QB to even be as good as Dak's been, much less better.
And pointing those out is not a bad thing..