News: ESPN: Tyron Smith off to a strong start

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
IRVING, Texas -- Cowboys left tackle Tyron Smith has been a quiet force along the offensive line this season.

At the start of the season, the line was a major area of concern with ineffective play and the Cowboys waiting on veteran guard Brian Waters to enter the starting lineup.

IRVING, Texas -- Cowboys left tackle Tyron Smith has been a quiet force along the offensive line this season.

At the start of the season, the line was a major area of concern with ineffective play and the Cowboys waiting on veteran guard Brian Waters to enter the starting lineup.

While that was going on, Smith merged into a productive force.

"I feel like I have more knowledge than I did last year," Smith said. "I'm able to read things better than I did last year, that was my goal. I wanted to be smarter on the field."

Smith credits Waters with helping him become a better left tackle

"It's experience and getting help where I can and having Brian Waters here when I can," Smith said. "He helps us have the right mind set going into every game and lets us know some of the things we can kinda look out for every game."

Last season, Smith committed seven false start penalties, was flagged twice for holding and allowed three sacks.

Smith improved himself under line coach Bill Callahan's teachings and he's gaining confidence in the techniques he's applying. Smith has been flagged just twice for holding and false start penalties this season through six games. He's allowed just one sack.

When the Cowboys drafted Smith in the first round of the 2011 draft, the goal was to make someone the anchor of the offensive line for several years at left tackle. Smith started at right tackle his rookie season but the next two seasons he played on the coveted left side.

During his conference call with reporters, the day he was drafted, Smith noted he wanted to be a Pro Bowl player.

"Just kind of having my own goals set for me," he said. "Just always having a high standard for myself so I can have something to reach for. I'm just trying to get better as the week goes by. Taking it a day at a time. I’m not really trying to think about it."
LINK

Since the signing of Brian Waters, the entire OL has elevated their play. I'm especially happy about Smith's play. He's so young and only scratching the surface of what he'll become before too long: the best LT in the game. With Waters' tutelage, I think he'll get there.

Section446

Reaction score
The way you know that an LT is great... you never hear his name mentioned. I honestly can't remember the last time any of the telecasters mentioned him. The guy is a special talent, just imagine if he develops a Marc Colombo style mean-streak.

Bay10

ehcrossing
Reaction score
T Smith is an animal! so lucky he wears the Star.​

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
He's a bad mutha(shut your mouth)!

And protecting Romo's blind side. MVP of the oline so far, IMO.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I remember many on here gave him the "TWill" business before we even had a "TWill"

You could see he was gonna get better... greater!!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
While I agree with Watkins about Smith being good, he is absolutely wrong about the OL having problems early on until Waters came onboard. They must be doing something right to be averaging almost 31 ppg.

Section446

Reaction score
While I agree with Watkins about Smith being good, he is absolutely wrong about the OL having problems early on until Waters came onboard. They must be doing something right to be averaging almost 31 ppg.

This OL has been light years better all season, but Waters feels like he completes it.

tico

Reaction score
I would love to here the league's best D players that played against him.
give their input on him.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Who keeps on posting this positive stuff.....can we get back to regular programming, the DL sucks...Romo is a choker....let's get this party started, now I can breathe better now that all thats out there.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
He kept Orakpo in check and that's hard to do. You won't hear Cole's name on Sunday.

Section446

Reaction score
Who keeps on posting this positive stuff.....can we get back to regular programming, the DL sucks...Romo is a choker....let's get this party started, now I can breathe better now that all thats out there.
Well... :)

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I would love to here the league's best D players that played against him.
give their input on him.

I loved how he handled Orakpo without much help. I'll be looking to see how he handles the Eagirls' blitz packages.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score

Just come here for a game thread, wait for the first Cowboy bad play, and enjoy the firework display. Every ... single ... time.

sbark

Reaction score
he's too young.........only what 22.......cant be good yet