ESPN: UVA's Brooks and two other dimissed from team

MrPhil

Reaction score
Didn't see this posted anywhere already so forgive me if I just didn't see it.

Virginia dismisses three potential starters on defenseBy Joe Schad
ESPN.com

Virginia Coach Al Groh dismissed linebacker Ahmad Brooks, defensive end Vince Redd and cornerback Tony Franklin from the team on Tuesday.

"It's best for us and the players to move on from these circumstances," Groh said at a news conference in Charlottesville, one day before the Cavaliers begin spring practice.

All three players were potential starters on defense, but Groh said the losses will not affect Virginia's outlook this season.

Franklin, a senior who was expected to start at safety, was arrested for marijuana possession on Dec. 4. Franklin and Redd, a junior and possible starter at defensive end, were among the Cavaliers suspended for violating team rules last season.

"It really doesn't change our prospectus when you consider two of the three players weren't even a part of what the team was able to do in Nashville [at the Music City Bowl]," Groh said. "It's essential internally that we have the discipline to do things the right way and not just chase talent for talent's sake. That's what we're doing."

Brooks, a senior, led Virginia in tackles as a freshman and sophomore but played in only six games during an injury-riddled 2005. As a sophomore, Brooks was All-ACC and a Butkus Award finalist. But he ballooned to 270 pounds as he struggled to recover from knee and ankle injuries last year.

In January, Brooks announced he would not enter the NFL draft. Now, transfering to a lower-division school or entering the NFL's supplemental draft are options. Brooks, once viewed as a first-round prospect, chose to return in large part, however, because his stock had slipped.

"It is a privelege and not a right to wear a Cavaliers jersey and to represent our university and community," Groh said. "There are certain things that are vital and those things come into sharper focus and are multiplied when you're rebuilding, as we are. That's focus, commitment and dependability."

Joe Schad is ESPN TV's national college football reporter.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
If Groh doesn't have the time or patience to keep him around, I doubt BP would either.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't know. If the 4th round of the supplemental rolls around and Brooks is still without a team, a funny thing could happen.

:laugh2:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Somebody will take a chance on him.
And I'm sure we can find a few folks who know Brooks personally who would vouch for his character.
Sure worked for TO. ;) :D

(Ducking from incoming missiles)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
Somebody will take a chance on him.
And I'm sure we can find a few folks who know Brooks personally who would vouch for his character.
Sure worked for TO. ;) :D

(Ducking from incoming missiles)

Peculiar how that works aing it?

:D

lkelly

Reaction score
Was it drugs with Brooks? Not sure about the other guys.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I'll bet he ends up about 60 minutes further up Interstate 64 West in Harrisonburg....JMU.

jman

Reaction score
MrPhil said:
Didn't see this posted anywhere already so forgive me if I just didn't see it.

Virginia dismisses three potential starters on defenseBy Joe Schad
ESPN.com

Virginia Coach Al Groh dismissed linebacker Ahmad Brooks, defensive end Vince Redd and cornerback Tony Franklin from the team on Tuesday.

"It's best for us and the players to move on from these circumstances," Groh said at a news conference in Charlottesville, one day before the Cavaliers begin spring practice.

All three players were potential starters on defense, but Groh said the losses will not affect Virginia's outlook this season.

Franklin, a senior who was expected to start at safety, was arrested for marijuana possession on Dec. 4. Franklin and Redd, a junior and possible starter at defensive end, were among the Cavaliers suspended for violating team rules last season.

"It really doesn't change our prospectus when you consider two of the three players weren't even a part of what the team was able to do in Nashville [at the Music City Bowl]," Groh said. "It's essential internally that we have the discipline to do things the right way and not just chase talent for talent's sake. That's what we're doing."

Brooks, a senior, led Virginia in tackles as a freshman and sophomore but played in only six games during an injury-riddled 2005. As a sophomore, Brooks was All-ACC and a Butkus Award finalist. But he ballooned to 270 pounds as he struggled to recover from knee and ankle injuries last year.

In January, Brooks announced he would not enter the NFL draft. Now, transfering to a lower-division school or entering the NFL's supplemental draft are options. Brooks, once viewed as a first-round prospect, chose to return in large part, however, because his stock had slipped.

"It is a privelege and not a right to wear a Cavaliers jersey and to represent our university and community," Groh said. "There are certain things that are vital and those things come into sharper focus and are multiplied when you're rebuilding, as we are. That's focus, commitment and dependability."

Joe Schad is ESPN TV's national college football reporter.

I guess Marcus Vick has his posse back...LOL

I hope they realize what a life chance they had and are about to completely let it go. What a bunch of knuckle heads.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Im suprised Hostile hasn't commented in this thread. I remember him liking Brooks, and I have to agree with him. I think hes a player.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Im suprised Hostile hasn't commented in this thread. I remember him liking Brooks, and I have to agree with him. I think hes a player.

rikolai

Reaction score
I live about 45 minutes away from UVA and I knew an assistant coach at Fork Union where Brooks played and I asked him about Ahmad a couple of years ago because he had already been in trouble.He told me he was a good kid and seemed to have changed his ways.I would not be surprised at all if the Cowboys take a long look at him.Obeying the rules in college versus the pros are two different beasts,especially regarding UVA.Their disciplinary guidelines are as strict as any school in the nation,IMO.If Brooks does enter the supplemental draft,I'd say his chances of going to Dallas are 50/50 and don't worry about his game.The guy is a MONSTER.I would like to know why he was dismissed,however.

Justis

Reaction score
I would love to have this beast on the team. I would start talking dynasty if that happened.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
MrPhil said:
I just became an Al Groh fan.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
lkelly said:
Was it drugs with Brooks? Not sure about the other guys.
They have been very hush-hush about Brooks and his "issues".

Point is that BP won't want him for the same reason that Groh didn't. Especially because Groh will tell BP.

Then again, I never thought BP would sign T.O. either so nothing surprises me anymore.