viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3793374

Updated: December 26, 2008, 1:05 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
A Dallas Cowboys wide receiver says he's frustrated by a perceived lack of involvement in the offense -- and it's not Terrell Owens.

NFC East blog

ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Nearly a month ago, Owens and fellow receivers Patrick Crayton and Roy E. Williams met separately with offensive coordinator Jason Garrett to express their concerns about the team's offense.

Since then, Crayton and Owens have said they've seen some positive results in the way the offense is running. Williams, however, has been frustrated as the Cowboys have struggled, and admitted as much as Dallas readied for its win-or-go-home game Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Williams, who has been dealing with a foot injury, has 17 receptions for 194 yards and one touchdown since the Cowboys dealt their first-round, third-round and sixth-round picks to the Detroit Lions to acquire him. And after trying to dismiss questions about his limited production since coming to Dallas, in a trade that was seen as a way for the Cowboys to open up the offense and give quarterback Tony Romo a deep-ball threat, Williams opened up.

"I know I am a player in this league," Williams said, according to Dallas-Fort Worth area media reports. "My thing is, if you brought me in half the season, you obviously know what I am capable of doing. You wouldn't have spent what you did to get a person. You know what I can do. I know what I can do. I can tell you what I can't do. I'm just waiting."
Owens stuck up for Williams, saying his teammate has legitimate reasons to be frustrated.

"If you bring a guy over here and you pay him that much money, you want [him] to be involved," Owens said, according to The (Fort Worth) Star-Telegram. "He has a lot of talent. Otherwise, he wouldn't be here. I'm not saying that in a negative way. I'm saying that because I know he can help the team. Once we figure out a way we can get him more involved and he can help this offense, the better off we'll be."

The trade rescued Williams from the hapless Lions and brought him back home, where he starred at Texas and at Odessa Permian High School (of "Friday Night Lights" fame). It also resulted in a five-year, $45 million contract with the Cowboys.

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said a number of factors have played a role in Williams' lack of production with the Cowboys. He came to the team at midseason and didn't play with Romo, who was out with a finger injury, for three weeks, Phillips explained. And Williams' foot injury has also affected him, Phillips said.

"I think we do need to get comfortable with him," Phillips said, according to the Star-Telegram. "I don't think we've come to that point. We haven't had that feel yet. But I think we will as we go along or certainly next year."
Williams said he has not been hindered by the injury -- and that he is getting open on the field.

"People can watch the film," Williams said, according to the Star-Telegram. "I'm doing what I am coached to do."

But Williams said the most important thing is for the Cowboys to win on Sunday and earn an NFC wild-card playoff berth. He said he made that point earlier this week to teammates who have been ribbing him about having played for the winless Lions, who could become the NFL's first 0-16 team on Sunday.

"That's what I told guys," Williams said, according to the Star-Telegram. "They joke about me with the 0-16 Detroit thing and I just told them, 'If we don't win this game, we're all in the same boat. We both are going to be watching the same playoff game next week.' They all understood that. That put it in perspective."

Owens, for his part, said the Cowboys' offense will click "if we do the necessary things," according to the Dallas Morning News. "If Tony has the time and we get holes for guys who run the ball effectively and Tony can pass effectively, we can't be stopped."

UDcowboysfan

Reaction score
Pretty much just synthesized eight blog articles into one story, great journalism haha.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
How many of these "frustrated" articles do we need?

Heck, if they can't make the team implode with TO stories, they try another WR.

I am really getting to the point where I hate reading any of these baffons.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I am a little disappointed that Wade Phillips says they are still not comfortable
with him yet. Not sure how long it takes to integrate a talent like this in an offense.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;2524576 said:
How many of these "frustrated" articles do we need?

Heck, if they can't make the team implode with TO stories, they try another WR.

I am really getting to the point where I hate reading any of these baffons.

Maybe you should get mad at the "baffons" <sic> that keep running their mouths to the press.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2524584 said:
I am a little disappointed that Wade Phillips says they are still not comfortable
with him yet. Not sure how long it takes to integrate a talent like this in an offense.

Who knows when Wade said that, the quotes are from various interviews from various times of the year from various people, and the "writer" doesn't bother to state when, where or why.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
TheCount;2524625 said:
Who knows when Wade said that, the quotes are from various interviews from various times of the year from various people, and the "writer" doesn't bother to state when, where or why.

He (the blogger) does do that. But does it matter?

We're still not getting Roy the ball. So Phillips' comments would still apply no matter when they were uttered.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Brad Johnson threw the bomb to him against the Giants. Williams caught the ball with one arm. There was enough separation, and Johnson stuck it in there for him. It was a big play.

Brad Johnson threw the fade to him, TD. GAME WINNER!

Roy Williams standing in the endzone at Pittsburgh all by himself, never looked at from the get go until the pressure forced his eyes to move to his left.

Tony Romo doesn't have any problems throwing floating picks to Owens on the road from our own redzone. He stared down Owens on the first interception. He jacks up balls up for grabs on 3rd and 2.

No excuses.

The coordinator and the quarterback should be able to use this high priced weapon much more than they are using him. They are both riverboat gamblers, they have no excuses.

newlander

Reaction score
Another thread on this right now about RW's sloppy route running . SOME truth to that, but also figuring into the equation are Romo's health, Procter's ineptitude and the overall inconsistency of the Offense in general.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2524643 said:
He (the blogger) does do that. But does it matter?

We're still not getting Roy the ball. So Phillips' comments would still apply no matter when they were uttered.

:hammer:

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2524584 said:

The talent was, is vastly OVERRATED

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2524612 said:
Maybe you should get mad at the "baffons" <sic> that keep running their mouths to the press.

Wow! The typo police. :rolleyes:

I'm more concerned with the buffoons who make stuff up. But whatever.