ESPN: Zeke Elliott will have to grow up under a harsh glare

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
When your family is relocating just to help you, you're breaking. I will gladly eat crow if he tops my expectations.
The fam could be relocating because he bought them a big old house with the money Jerry Jones gave him. I would move too.

LittleLexodus

Reaction score
FWIW I ran into him Thursday night at 2am at Truth and Alibi. Not that troubling as the game was on Sunday, but I would think he wouldn't be out that during in the season.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I don't know if there is fire but there is smoke. Now the smoke may drift away and disappear, but until it does by his actions, it does make you go hmmm.

haleyrules

Reaction score
So the family thinks he has been too sheltered and cant handle his new life in the NFL on his own....and they are looking into moving down to Dallas....again. It seems like this is what created the problem to begin with along with just not taking on and owning up to responsibility the last few years. I'm beginning to find his immaturity scary. The full story will be featured in ESPN the magazine and the story ends on the website that his family is happy Zeke's finally telling people no. They all should have said no to this story....I just turned 41, but reading this story annoyed me and made me feel old. I liked/still like the pick, hope he fulfills his potential, and has a long career for the Dallas Cowboys.
lol. The family is moving to Dallas!! Sounds a bit like the Clampetts...thats where the MONEY is. lol.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
Maybe not moving there to babysit but to be there for support.
I know when things are crazy for me it is pretty awesome to lean on family.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, Zeke's dad went on a twitter rant about taking his words out of context and the way he's handled his son.

visionary

Reaction score
Didn't really read anything too alarming in that article. Sounds like a typical 21-year old who grew up with no worries and now he has to adjust to not only being a professional in the NFL, but playing for the Cowboys.

Growing pains... that we only care about with the top picks. Anyone after the top 2 picks, folks don't care anything about their off-field adjustments. lol

Well, you add this to being known as a party-ER in college and showing up to camp overweight and 'visiting' a marijuana shop all before taking your first NFL snap and alarm bells should go off

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, you add this to being known as a party-ER in college and showing up to camp overweight and 'visiting' a marijuana shop all before taking your first NFL snap and alarm bells should go off
Not even a little bit. What college kid doesn't party. He visited, but did he purchase anything? As for him being overweight.. Water weight. He lost that after the first practice. I'm sorry. No alarms about anything off the field.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Is this a harsh glare? Is it abnormal for a guy to be critiqued when he fumbles twice in a game?

Or when he averages 2.6 yards a carry?

Let's not act like the things people are discussion have no bearing on what's happening on the field. If McFadden had been our starting RB for Week 1 and averaged 2.6 yards for the game, the fans would bury the guy. If he had followed that up by fumbling twice, the fans would have dug his corpse up, stabbed him through the heart with a stake, and reburied him.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Is this a harsh glare? Is it abnormal for a guy to be critiqued when he fumbles twice in a game?

Or when he averages 2.6 yards a carry?

Let's not act like the things people are discussion have no bearing on what's happening on the field. If McFadden had been our starting RB for Week 1 and averaged 2.6 yards for the game, the fans would bury the guy. If he had followed that up by fumbling twice, the fans would have dug his corpse up, stabbed him through the heart with a stake, and reburied him.

Lol, what are you talking about?

We have brainiacs on the board right now that criticize his 1,000+ yards at a 4.6 YPC clip season last year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think that's the case. There have been plenty of rumblings about him from his college days. I mean, when Joey freaking Bosa has to move out of a dorm because you party too much, you likely have some issues.
Yet Bosa was the one with the off the field concerns not Zeke.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
One big problem with parenting today is:

helicopter-parents.jpg

Exactly what I was getting at (Joe Realist's pic above)...his parents moved to Ohio to be with him when he went to college.... The whole reason he's having these issues are due to overprotective coddling, yet they are going to continue to do it. I am not saying he can't work through it or that his problems are remotely close to someone like Randy Gregory. I am glad he came from a good, caring home, but Ive read too many stories about Zeke that have more quotes from his father than anyone else. "Altercation" with a "girlfriend", daddy there to do the damage control in the press immediately afterward, the first one to tell everyone no charges would be pursued, seen in a pot shop his opening game in Seattle, daddy again to the rescue in the press the following day. Now this...another attempt to do damage control, our son is fine, he's just sheltered. It's annoying and anyone other than a child would be embarrassed and emasculated by the fact that their daddy has to come to their rescue in the news publicly...that reason alone should be enough motivation to grow up (but not this generation). Just stay out of the press for awhile, its football season, do what you know how to do, focus on the games, your goals, and this will all work itself out. Like I said in the original post I still endorse the pick, I want Zeke to blow up more than anyone, this was more of rant than a Zeke bash.

Last edited:

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the story link and correcting the thread title early on. I saw the story posted in the newsbot forum here so I didnt know if I should post it again here, but wanted to make sure it didnt slip by everyone this morning.