Ethernet or USB?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Is one faster than the other? I've been using USB for the last year, but am acquiring a computer with an Ethernet hub. Stick with USB or make the switch?

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
bbgun said:
Is one faster than the other? I've been using USB for the last year, but am acquiring a computer with an Ethernet hub. Stick with USB or make the switch?

Can you be more specific on what you are purchasing/connecting?

You are really talking about different technologies. Ethernet is used for networking computers/nodes together. An ethernet hub is a box that will enable you to split one ethernet connection into several. USB is used for connecting peripherals to your computer. You can also use ethernet to connect peripherals to a computer but anything that connects by ethernet is network enabled and will usually cost more.

You can use USB to connect computers but usually it's done with ethernet.
It really depends on what you are wanting to connect together.

Both come in different models and different speeds. Here is a link that shows the different speeds.

http://www.macspeedzone.com/archive/5.0/usbcomparison.html

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I prefer ethernet myself.

Normally it is just for networking computers and if you have one computer it is no big deal.

However even with my one home computer and my cable modem I have found that ethernet is faster in transfer rate.....if you are going to have mutliple computers hooked up together through a router/hub then I suggest ethernet.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
If you are talking about using Ethernet vs USB for DSL... I've tried both with my Verizon DSL and Ethernet works much better. I've done speed tests on both and in one case I had a 1 quarter increase using Ethernet

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Yes, home DSL is what I was referring to. Sorry for the vagueness, and thanks for the replies.