Evaluating all 56 sacks the Cowboys allowed in 2018

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Lost in all the good feelings about Connor Williams adding weight and muscle this offseason is an analysis of just how poorly he played in his rookie year.

Bob Sturm is writing another 4-part series in The Athletic, this time a deep dive into all 56 sacks the Cowboys allowed in 2018 - second in the NFL.

For context, teams that are second in the league in sacks allowed do not usually make the playoffs. That’s a testament to just how good the defense played last year.

I have read too often here that these sacks were Dak’s fault because he holds the ball too long. It’s not true. According to Pro Football focus, only 15 of those 56 sacks were on Dak. And, in fact, Dak and the Cowboys were one of the best teams in the league at not allowing sacks in 2016 and 2017.

So, clearly 2018 was the problem.

In the articles, there is video of every sack and commentary. What’s clear is that Conner Williams had no business starting last year. He did much better in the final quarter of the season, and I have no doubt he’ll be better this year, but a great deal of 2018’s sacks were either errors from CWill or him being outright bull rushed into the quarterback.

In one instance against Seattle, Dak was sacked in 2.6 seconds! As Sturm wrote, “At some point, you feel like the player was let down here by the organization. 2.6 seconds from snap to sack is ridiculous from an inside player.

Here is Sturm’s description of CWill’s first of many sacks to be given up in 2018:

We may one day get to a point of Connor Williams’ career when NFL Films will do a feature on how he has progressed and all signs will go back to Week 1 of 2018 when he was asked to deal with Kawaan Short in his “Welcome to the NFL” moment. That game was when everyone quickly realized the growth and development for the college tackle-turned-NFL guard was going to be much longer than anyone let on in Oxnard. This is why we should all slow our roll when practice reports and camp reports tell us a kid is fitting right in and everything is great. You truly don’t know until they’re facing live ammunition. Here, Short destroys Williams for a sack that you would hope a guard would not allow all season. But this, unfortunately, was a sign of things to come for the rookie. He was pulled off balance, and any time you end up on your stomach watching your man blindside your quarterback, something went very wrong.”

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Lost in all the good feelings about Connor Williams adding weight and muscle this offseason is an analysis of just how poorly he played in his rookie year.

Bob Sturm is writing another 4-part series in The Athletic, this time a deep dive into all 56 sacks the Cowboys allowed in 2018 - second in the NFL.

For context, teams that are second in the league in sacks allowed do not usually make the playoffs. That’s a testament to just how good the defense played last year.

I have read too often here that these sacks were Dak’s fault because he holds the ball too long. It’s not true. According to Pro Football focus, only 15 of those 56 sacks were on Dak. And, in fact, Dak and the Cowboys were one of the best teams in the league at not allowing sacks in 2016 and 2017.

In the articles, there is video of every sack and commentary. What’s clear is that Conner Williams had no business starting last year. He did much better in the final quarter of the season, and I have no doubt he’ll be better this year, but a great deal of 2018’s sacks were either errors from CWill or him being outright bull rushed into the quarterback.

In one instance against Seattle, Dak was sacked in 2.6 seconds! As Sturm wrote, “At some point, you feel like the player was let down here by the organization. 2.6 seconds from snap to sack is ridiculous from an inside player.

Here is Sturm’s description of CWill’s first of many sacks to be given up in 2018:

We may one day get to a point of Connor Williams’ career when NFL Films will do a feature on how he has progressed and all signs will go back to Week 1 of 2018 when he was asked to deal with Kawaan Short in his “Welcome to the NFL” moment. That game was when everyone quickly realized the growth and development for the college tackle-turned-NFL guard was going to be much longer than anyone let on in Oxnard. This is why we should all slow our roll when practice reports and camp reports tell us a kid is fitting right in and everything is great. You truly don’t know until they’re facing live ammunition. Here, Short destroys Williams for a sack that you would hope a guard would not allow all season. But this, unfortunately, was a sign of things to come for the rookie. He was pulled off balance, and any time you end up on your stomach watching your man blindside your quarterback, something went very wrong.”
Why make a post on the negatives when the OL was short the most important piece, i.e. the center and had a rookie playing RG? Why? Are you ignorant?

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Why make a post on the negatives when the OL was short the most important piece, i.e. the center and had a rookie playing RG? Why? Are you ignorant?

Well it sounds to me like he was saying that the rookie playing LG(not RG where All Pro Martin plays) wasn't ready physically, or mentally to play LG, and in turn was giving up sacks. In fact he even says, "he will be better this year"

So i guess the real question is Are you capable of reading?

PhillySpecial

Reaction score

Isn't the average time to throw 2.5 seconds for an NFL QB?

Sydla

Reaction score
Well it sounds to me like he was saying that the rookie playing LG(not RG where All Pro Martin plays) wasn't ready physically, or mentally to play LG, and in turn was giving up sacks. In fact he even says, "he will be better this year"

So i guess the real question is Are you capable of reading?

You are wasting your time with that guy.

A reporter did a thorough and appreciated analysis of our OL problems and Skaven brought some of the analysis here and because it's not all rainbows and sunshine being blown up Rockport's butt, he's going to whine about it. It's what he does.

Just ignore him in the future.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
You are wasting your time with that guy.

A reporter did a thorough and appreciated analysis of our OL problems and Skaven brought some of the analysis here and because it's not all rainbows and sunshine being blown up Rockport's butt, he's going to whine about it. It's what he does.

Just ignore him in the future.

Oh i know. But still, we you make just flat out wrong statements, like a rookie RG, you've got to get called out at least once. Like how do you get confused about that of all things?

Number1

Reaction score
Do an evaluation on how many sacks Dak skipped right into.

actually a few months ago I did, PFF ain't so far from wrong.
I saw 9 real silly ones (that's a lot) but then my criteria wasn't exactly strict
and another 8 he should have thrown away.

what bugged me watching it was knowing the situation on the field Dak didn't just get rid of the ball more.
he tries too hard sometimes, but that pays off more often than not

that still leaves at least 40 non QB issue sacks :(

the biggest cause of sacks wasn't so much bad OL play, as a matter of no longer having a great OL making up for silly play design
for example, why keep a mobile QB in the pocket when your OL is springing 3 leaks ?

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Well given that Bob sturm is doing an evaluation on ALL 56 sacks, that i would assume would include the ones "skipped right into"

Soooo maybe you should put down the fishing pole, and learn to read?

Maybe you should pick up a fishing pole and live a little. Untwist you panties.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Giving up on a play and throwing the ball away is a tough pill to swallow when you're losing. Dak took two, hold the ball, sacks on that 23-0 loss against the Colts. But I dont look at those like they're on Dak. To me they are situational sacks. A QB holding the ball too long trying to make a play because his team is struggling or losing. That happens to the best of the best.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

15 out of 56 is 26%....that's a 4th of the sacks being Dak's fault. He also ran out of bounce on 10 of those sacks. not sure if those are in the 15 or not.... if not, that's about 1/2 the sacks....and even if not...26% is a large proportion of the sacks....even cutting those in half would put us around 43 and that's about 13th in the league as opposed to 2nd most sacks in the league.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
so the most important piece is center. not the LT? OK. got it...

and what about the other 31 teams who don't have a Fredrick at center?

let the excuses and finger pointing at everybody else begin...

go....