Even Houston Gets It

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
rcaldw;2399523 said:
Hey Lab, good to talk to you again. Yes, I want him fired now. I've never understood staying with something that you already know isn't the answer. The only other guy you have to replace him with (Jason Garrett) might not be the answer either, but at least we are one step removed from what we KNOW is not the answer. Furthermore, I think you saw the Wade factor early in this season before Romo even went down. Wade Phillips might be a fine coordinator in some places but the guy is not a long term head coach.
Say we tank the rest of the year with Garrett. Is less than half a season as an interim enough to judge him anyway? If we suck with him, do you go outside the organization for a whole new staff? Would you kill Garrett's coaching career over seven games?

If the answer is no, do you keep a HC next year who doesn't do any better than Wade did?

No, like jackrussell said... You just look like Al Davis if you fire Wade now.

Now if we have a healthy team and are still awful after a few more games... Okay. But I doubt that happens.

And I still don't see what RJ has done to deserve a promotion to head coach.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2399597 said:
Say we tank the rest of the year with Garrett. Is less than half a season as an interim enough to judge him anyway? If we suck with him, do you go outside the organization for a whole new staff? Would you kill Garrett's coaching career over seven games?

If the answer is no, do you keep a HC next year who doesn't do any better than Wade did?

Now if we have a healthy team and are still awful after a few more games... Okay. But I doubt that happens.

You may well be right on Garrett on both counts. (not enough time this year, and what has he done to deserve the head job)

But I don't know how you hold him accountable in a situation like this? You HAVE to hold the head coach accountable, but how do you hold assistants to a high level of accountability in an atmosphere that has almost become embarrassing?

I would prefer to give Garrett a shot at it now, with a bye week, and Romo returning. Man, it can't hurt anything, look at where we are heading.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2399597 said:

He looks like a head coach and he said **** that on Hard Knocks.

Good enough for me. :cool:

superpunk

Reaction score
Let's not confuse the issue.

The issue is not does rcaldw think Garrett will be a good head coach. That is an invented red herring to the actual issue, which is...

Wade Phillips is clearly not qualified to be the head coach of this team, in rcaldw and many others' opinion. And so the option is anyone but Wade's dumb *** - and the logical promotion choice becomes Jason Garrett - by default.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
superpunk;2399624 said:
Let's not confuse the issue.

The issue is not does rcaldw think Garrett will be a good head coach. That is an invented red herring to the actual issue, which is...

Wade Phillips is clearly not qualified to be the head coach of this team, in rcaldw and many others' opinion. And so the option is anyone but Wade's dumb *** - and the logical promotion choice becomes Jason Garrett - by default.
"Invented red herring", eh? :cool:

If you're going to fire your head coach midseason, the person replacing him might be of minor importance. And you might want to be sure he's going to be better than the person you're firing -- otherwise, what's the point?

You can't seriously believe that "anyone but Wade's dumb ***" would be better. If that's the case, why don't we let Campo do it? Or Reggie Herring? Or for that matter, Jerry Jones Jr.? Hey, he did a bang-up job on that website.

superpunk

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2399649 said:
"Invented red herring", eh? :cool:

Yes.

If you're going to fire your head coach midseason, the person replacing him might be of minor importance. And you might want to be sure he's going to be better than the person you're firing -- otherwise, what's the point?

It's the devil you know. There's no point in continuing with this stupid bumpkin coaching the team. Make the change that we ALL know is coming already. Quit *****footing around and giving a guy a chance he clearly doesn't deserve.

You can't seriously believe that "anyone but Wade's dumb ***" would be better. If that's the case, why don't we let Campo do it? Or Reggie Herring? Or for that matter, Jerry Jones Jr.? Hey, he did a bang-up job on that website.

Let's not get ridiculous with the Campo talk. Although he'd probably be a minor step up from the Great Bumpkin.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
rcaldw;2399396 said:
I live in Houston and was listening to sports talk radio on my way into work. They have a guy on one of the stations who does some great impersonations. He was impersonating Wade Phillips. It was spot on in terms of Phillip's attitude. No fire in the gut, no strength, nothing to respect other than being a nice guy. Uncle Wade, as some Dallas sports writers have put it.

If people in another city, who don't even follow the Cowboys or LIKE the Cowboys, can spot what our head coach is, when will the owner do it?

You may get tired of threads like these, and you may say that they don't change anything, but I say that unless what needs to be changed gets changed NOTHING matters.

This team will not win a Super Bowl with Wade Phillips as head coach. I'm absolutely convinced of that.

Until Jerry is convinced of that, just enjoy NFL Football in general, because our team is just one more team playing out the drama that will end up in some other team being crowned champion.

It's a shame that it's coming from people who clearly don't get it with their own football team so they spend all their time worrying about the Cowboys and what their coach is or isn't.

Perhaps he should worry more about what Gary isn't getting done in Houston and how pathetic that team still is.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Yes, I have had enough of the lazy attitude......fire those sorry players up!