Ever had a $1,000 omelet?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/05/17/pricey.omelet.ap/index.html

Pricey omelet costs $1,000
Monday, May 17, 2004 Posted: 11:46 AM EDT (1546 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- It's not made of gold -- just eggs, lobster, caviar and a few trimmings.

But an omelet on the menu of a swanky Manhattan hotel will set you back $1,000, plus tip.

"I couldn't believe it was the price when I first saw '1,000' on the menu. I thought it was the calorie count," Virginia Marnell, a customer at Norma's restaurant in Le Parker Meridien hotel on West 57th Street, told the Daily News for Monday editions.

The omelet, which debuted May 5 and is billed as the "Zillion Dollar Frittata," has six eggs, a lobster and -- here's the kicker -- 10 ounces of sevruga caviar.

The restaurant pays $65 an ounce for the caviar, according to Norma's general manager, Steven Pipes.

"Since we knew it was going to be a very expensive dish, we decided to have some fun with it," Pipes told the News. "It's not just a gimmick, though. It tastes good."

Beside the omelet's entry in the menu is the following message: "Norma dares you to expense this."

No one has ordered it yet.

A "budget" version of the omelet, containing only one ounce of caviar, sells for $100.

David

Reaction score
No way! Think I'll stick with the Denny's grand slam for $5.99

Reef Engineer

Reaction score
Caviar is disgusting. Acquired taste my ***. I can't imagine shoveling 10 oz of that crap down my throat - I'd hurl after the first spoonful.

David

Reaction score
Reef Engineer said:
Caviar is disgusting. Acquired taste my ***. I can't imagine shoveling 10 oz of that crap down my throat - I'd hurl after the first spoonful.
Totally agree! Caviar, nasty personified.

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
I don't know what's more disgusting: The fish eggs or the price tag. :confused:

Reaction score
Reef Engineer said:

ahhhhh, y'all just don't know what's good.

a blini, topped w/ smoked salmon, alioi mayonaise, chopped egg and a TOP-GRADE caviar, chased w/ an ice cold shot of russian vodka!!??

brother, THAT'S eatin'!!!!

'course, i love anchovies, sardines, oysters and all that fishyer-the-better stuff, so there ya go.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
I'll stick with some Breakfast tacos for 1.00 or so a pop. :D