Everyone is Saying TE at 26, I Think It's LB

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this makes sense too.

Linebacker is the pick in round 1.

Why?

It makes more sense, and you can add a player at a position of need that can possibly impact games in year 1 if he's talented enough. And there are guys like that in this draft right now, who can be had in round 1.

The more I think about it, the more I think Trenton Simpson will likely be in the mix for the Cowboys. He gives you a high RAS player that gives you advantage over the Eagles and 9ers if you coach him up right. Plus, it gives you an athlete to team up with Parsons and LVE, which just makes too much sense if you ask me.

Another guy who I can see filling this role, and being able to start year 1 along with, rather than "behind," some guys is Felix Anudike-Uzomah. You can play him at edge and sort of in a LB in the edge/LB role that Parsons plays in the nickel.

In other words, both of these players would give you another linebacker/edge type that would allow you to be more versatile with what you do with Parsons, and you don't risk a whole lot because they're scheme fits with their floor, at least, and both players have higher ceilings without too much risk for reward.

After that, you can still likely land a really solid, possibly even HOF level TE in round 2.

This draft has some beasts as far as TEs go, all the way down to Whyle, Gindorff, Kuntz, the Penn State and Miami kid and just all of those guys...

Crazy year for TEs, which is why I think LB makes more sense in round 1.

I think it's deep enough that you could take your corner in round 2, and then draft your TE in round 3.. Go back to the trenches after that.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'd put 500 down that we don't draft a lb. None are worth a 1st
You don't think a guy like Simpson would or could be their pick?

Campbell has a super high floor.

I can see them going CB, WR maybe even RB, but more likely LB over TE.

For me, the best case scenario is Quentin Johnson falls..Then we're set at WR for a long time, and he can start/play year 1.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'd put 500 down that we don't draft a lb. None are worth a 1st
Given the number of positions they could possibly draft, this would be a safe bet.

For you.

Anyway, I mean...The RAS speaks for itself. You could even make sense out of Drew Sanders, though. I'm talking about building this team, right now. Is TE really that big of a need that you just have to have a TE? What if there are several you like and you want to upgrade the defense with a super talented prospect?

Doesn't seem like such a slam dunk to me when you have so many talented TEs in this draft, and you have 3 right now who fit the team.

Landryhat73

Reaction score

For me, the best case scenario is Quentin Johnson falls..Then we're set at WR for a long time, and he can start/play year 1.
Would love Campbell on this team, not only is he an unbelievable athlete but it transfers to the field but not with pick 26 - to many other needs

stilltheguru

Reaction score

Nah I don't think it's a possibility. The top 3 or so lbs may end up good but I don't see any chance we draft them

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Would love Campbell on this team, not only is he an unbelievable athlete but it transfers to the field but not with pick 26 - to many other needs
I think you're overlooking what Simpson can do. He can rush the passer, can tackle, can cover.. what else would you want?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
IMO, none of the LBers (non-edge) in this draft are 1st rounders, and borderline late 2nds.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I think you're overlooking what Simpson can do. He can rush the passer, can tackle, can cover.. what else would you want?
Don’t have anything bad to say about Simpson, haven’t really seen him play. I just think we can fill more pressing needs then LB with 26.

NotForLong

Reaction score
You have me watching some Highlight Film of Him . . . Wow . . . He definitely needs to be in the Conversation

Big and Strong and He can move around . . . I think he would neutralize Hurts as a Spy

You got me wanting this guy

John813

Reaction score
If they like Campbell, who, IIRC Quinn was at the Iowa pro-day a few days ago, probably could trade down into early 2 day to acquire.
That being said, DT is a bigger need, and some mocks have some guys falling to 26.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I love this type of debating on the board. The Cowboys have finally done enough in the offseason that we can actually debate the best player on the board. I even seen Cowboys YouTube draft nicks have the Cowboys drafting another wide receiver if the board fell a certain way. Good times before the draft finally. :thumbup:

NotForLong

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this makes sense too.

Linebacker is the pick in round 1.

Why?

It makes more sense, and you can add a player at a position of need that can possibly impact games in year 1 if he's talented enough. And there are guys like that in this draft right now, who can be had in round 1.

The more I think about it, the more I think Trenton Simpson will likely be in the mix for the Cowboys. He gives you a high RAS player that gives you advantage over the Eagles and 9ers if you coach him up right. Plus, it gives you an athlete to team up with Parsons and LVE, which just makes too much sense if you ask me.

Another guy who I can see filling this role, and being able to start year 1 along with, rather than "behind," some guys is Felix Anudike-Uzomah. You can play him at edge and sort of in a LB in the edge/LB role that Parsons plays in the nickel.

In other words, both of these players would give you another linebacker/edge type that would allow you to be more versatile with what you do with Parsons, and you don't risk a whole lot because they're scheme fits with their floor, at least, and both players have higher ceilings without too much risk for reward.

After that, you can still likely land a really solid, possibly even HOF level TE in round 2.

This draft has some beasts as far as TEs go, all the way down to Whyle, Gindorff, Kuntz, the Penn State and Miami kid and just all of those guys...

Crazy year for TEs, which is why I think LB makes more sense in round 1.

I think it's deep enough that you could take your corner in round 2, and then draft your TE in round 3.. Go back to the trenches after that.
https://atozsports.com/.amp/new-york/giants-clemson-pro-day-nfl-draft-news/
Sorry to burst your bubble but barring a trade up ahead of the Giants there is no way Simpson gets past the Giants . . . They appear to be all in

NotForLong

Reaction score
If they like Campbell, who, IIRC Quinn was at the Iowa pro-day a few days ago, probably could trade down into early 2 day to acquire.
That being said, DT is a bigger need, and some mocks have some guys falling to 26.
Kipper projects 4 Defensive Tackles being there when we draft

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All depends on how the draft falls. I can see OL or WR also. He is someone to keep an eye on that's for sure. We need someone to replace Barr. How much do the Cowboys believe in Cox and Clark?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have finally done enough in the offseason that we can actually debate the best player on the board.
You draft the best player on your board regardless. Taking the best talent available is always the best plan. Drafting for position is not the way to build a team. So let's debate away!!!!!!! Picking so late opens up all kinds of possibilities.