Everyone is Saying TE at 26, I Think It's LB

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You draft the best player on your board regardless. Taking the best talent available is always the best plan. Drafting for position is not the way to build a team. So let's debate away!!!!!!! Picking so late opens up all kinds of possibilities.
Mazi Smith, Gibbs, Washington, and Kincaid. I just want one!!!!

morasp

Reaction score
Bad year to draft a LB. Sanders looks like a good one but the rest of these guys remind me of Jaylon Smith hitting the wrong hole and getting caught up in traffic as the RB runs by them.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’d be fine for a LBr at 26 but the only one I’d consider is Sanders. Simpson is one of the most overrated players in the class IMO. Never sniffed a 100 tackle season and instincts are a negative on the scouting report.

I’m a huge Felix fan but he’s not a LBr he’s an Edge.

Carson

Reaction score
Mazi Smith, Gibbs, Washington, and Kincaid. I just want one!!!!
IMO, Kincaid is the guy. He’s a much better receiver type than Fergy (No knock on Ferguson, I love the player). He also gives you another cog on the offense. Lamb-Gallup-Cooks-Pollard-Kincaid? That’s insane.

Mazi is my favorite pick. I just don’t see the value at 26 at the moment. I also believe this team is content with bringing back Hankins and Watkins late if needed to eat snaps.

I like Washington, but I don’t love Washington. However, like Kincaid, he brings a different dimension. It’s drool worthy thinking of Tyler Smith pulling and running next to Washington and Pollard goes untouched for 10+ every time.

I love the explosiveness of Gibbs. But he’s another one, I feel it Pollard is their 1a guy, they will likely look to fill that need later. Unless it’s Bijan

baltcowboy

Reaction score
IMO, Kincaid is the guy. He’s a much better receiver type than Fergy (No knock on Ferguson, I love the player). He also gives you another cog on the offense. Lamb-Gallup-Cooks-Pollard-Kincaid? That’s insane.

Mazi is my favorite pick. I just don’t see the value at 26 at the moment. I also believe this team is content with bringing back Hankins and Watkins late if needed to eat snaps.

I like Washington, but I don’t love Washington. However, like Kincaid, he brings a different dimension. It’s drool worthy thinking of Tyler Smith pulling and running next to Washington and Pollard goes untouched for 10+ every time.

I love the explosiveness of Gibbs. But he’s another one, I feel it Pollard is their 1a guy, they will likely look to fill that need later. Unless it’s Bijan
Mazi could develop into a Dexter Lawrence. His combine numbers are very similar. I see him as a guy the team has to develop. The defense is literally one player away from being pound for pound the best defense in football. I would take a chance with Mazi.

I don’t think Kincaid will be there at 26. There are at least 3 teams Detroit, Chargers, Washington that will probably draft Mayer and Kincaid before us. Washington is a wild card who could go before any of those two but is the most likely to fall to 26. I think he needs lots of work as a receiver but his blocking is League ready day 1. In two years I believe he is will the best tight end from this draft but we want to win now.
Gibbs is Pollard from last year on a rookie deal. I don’t think Robinson makes it to 26th. I actually could see Washington drafting him at 15.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Mazi could develop into a Dexter Lawrence. His combine numbers are very similar. I see him as a guy the team has to develop. The defense is literally one player away from being pound for pound the best defense in football. I would take a chance with Mazi.

I don’t think Kincaid will be there at 26. There are at least 3 teams Detroit, Chargers, Washington that will probably draft Mayer and Kincaid before us. Washington is a wild card who could go before any of those two but is the most likely to fall to 26. I think he needs lots of work as a receiver but his blocking is League ready day 1. In two years I believe he is will the best tight end from this draft but we want to win now.
Gibbs is Pollard from last year on a rookie deal. I don’t think Robinson makes it to 26th. I actually could see Washington drafting him at 15.
Mazi could, but he’s not close to the same level Dexter was as a prospect. Dexter had sack, TFL and pressure production where Mazi has almost zero.

Mazi is at least a full round lower as a prospect.

Aven8

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this makes sense too.

Linebacker is the pick in round 1.

Why?

It makes more sense, and you can add a player at a position of need that can possibly impact games in year 1 if he's talented enough. And there are guys like that in this draft right now, who can be had in round 1.

The more I think about it, the more I think Trenton Simpson will likely be in the mix for the Cowboys. He gives you a high RAS player that gives you advantage over the Eagles and 9ers if you coach him up right. Plus, it gives you an athlete to team up with Parsons and LVE, which just makes too much sense if you ask me.

Another guy who I can see filling this role, and being able to start year 1 along with, rather than "behind," some guys is Felix Anudike-Uzomah. You can play him at edge and sort of in a LB in the edge/LB role that Parsons plays in the nickel.

In other words, both of these players would give you another linebacker/edge type that would allow you to be more versatile with what you do with Parsons, and you don't risk a whole lot because they're scheme fits with their floor, at least, and both players have higher ceilings without too much risk for reward.

After that, you can still likely land a really solid, possibly even HOF level TE in round 2.

This draft has some beasts as far as TEs go, all the way down to Whyle, Gindorff, Kuntz, the Penn State and Miami kid and just all of those guys...

Crazy year for TEs, which is why I think LB makes more sense in round 1.

I think it's deep enough that you could take your corner in round 2, and then draft your TE in round 3.. Go back to the trenches after that.
I would be stoked with Simpson. Dude is fast in pursuit

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Mazi could, but he’s not close to the same level Dexter was as a prospect. Dexter had sack, TFL and pressure production where Mazi has almost zero.

Mazi is at least a full round lower as a prospect.
I agree but we are picking at 26. Every guy at that pick has a question except the running backs. Mazi is big athlete from a big program. If we are going to take a flyer on a 1 tech early it’s this guy. I would take him in the second but he won’t make it to 58.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I agree but we are picking at 26. Every guy at that pick has a question except the running backs. Mazi is big athlete from a big program. If we are going to take a flyer on a 1 tech early it’s this guy. I would take him in the second but he won’t make it to 58.
I don’t think so…I’d bet a top 20ish player falls that is a much, much cleaner prospect.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don’t think so…I’d bet a top 20ish player falls that is a much, much cleaner prospect.
Who you have in mind…… I will say this I think there will be a run on cornerbacks, pass rushers and offensive tackles.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I think DT is in the mix. Could be OG/C as well but they will trade down if that's the case.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Who you have in mind…… I will say this I think there will be a run on cornerbacks, pass rushers and offensive tackles.
Any OT, CB, DE or WR that falls.

Not big on TEs would also be open to Kincaid. Fine with Sanders.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Any OT, CB, DE or WR that falls.

Not big on TEs would also be open to Kincaid. Fine with Sanders.
I think someone will be in the war room standing on the table for any number these guys. Wish we could see the arguments live. This will be a great draft experience for us all. The Cowboys appear to have a plan.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You draft the best player on your board regardless. Taking the best talent available is always the best plan. Drafting for position is not the way to build a team. So let's debate away!!!!!!! Picking so late opens up all kinds of possibilities.
:hammer:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm pretty sure this makes sense too.

Linebacker is the pick in round 1.

Why?

It makes more sense, and you can add a player at a position of need that can possibly impact games in year 1 if he's talented enough. And there are guys like that in this draft right now, who can be had in round 1.

The more I think about it, the more I think Trenton Simpson will likely be in the mix for the Cowboys. He gives you a high RAS player that gives you advantage over the Eagles and 9ers if you coach him up right. Plus, it gives you an athlete to team up with Parsons and LVE, which just makes too much sense if you ask me.

Another guy who I can see filling this role, and being able to start year 1 along with, rather than "behind," some guys is Felix Anudike-Uzomah. You can play him at edge and sort of in a LB in the edge/LB role that Parsons plays in the nickel.

In other words, both of these players would give you another linebacker/edge type that would allow you to be more versatile with what you do with Parsons, and you don't risk a whole lot because they're scheme fits with their floor, at least, and both players have higher ceilings without too much risk for reward.

After that, you can still likely land a really solid, possibly even HOF level TE in round 2.

This draft has some beasts as far as TEs go, all the way down to Whyle, Gindorff, Kuntz, the Penn State and Miami kid and just all of those guys...

Crazy year for TEs, which is why I think LB makes more sense in round 1.

I think it's deep enough that you could take your corner in round 2, and then draft your TE in round 3.. Go back to the trenches after that.
I don't think the Cowboys know what position they'll draft at #26.

I think they'll lean towards BPA over drafting specific positions.

They've put significant effort and money into filling their needs before the draft.

They want CB and WR but I'm skeptical that they'll love any players at those positions for pick 26.

From a general perspective, I don't know if it makes sense to draft another mid/late round TE.
- They have 3 young TEs that all contributed last season.
- If they're going to draft another one, it seems they would want a player that is clearly on another level above the players they already have on the roster.

LB
I'm certain they project LVE and Clark as the starters unless Parsons plays more snaps at LB.
- They only play 2 LBs. Parsons is always at DE when they have 2 other LBs on the field.
- My gut feeling at this time is that Parsons will play more snaps at LB this season.
- Parsons played primarily LB in 2021 and had 13 sacks.
- He played primarily DE in 2022 and had 13.5 sacks.
- There are concerns about him wearing down while playing as an undersized DE.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If they like Campbell, who, IIRC Quinn was at the Iowa pro-day a few days ago, probably could trade down into early 2 day to acquire.
That being said, DT is a bigger need, and some mocks have some guys falling to 26.
He was at the Iowa State pro day. Though, it’s not far-fetched to imagine him also going to the Iowa pro day but I haven’t seen anything reported.

John813

Reaction score
He was at the Iowa State pro day. Though, it’s not far-fetched to imagine him also going to the Iowa pro day but I haven’t seen anything reported.
You’re right. I thought I saw something about Iowa pro day but it may of been an assumption and not confirmed