Everyone wants to blame the defense.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
links18;2396701 said:
Hey SkinsandTerps, think the Terps win this Thursday? and yes you are right, the defense is partly responsible. It seems like once they let the other team convert on a third and long, often in their own territory, they cannot recover and you just know the other team is going to score.....

I think they will embarrass the Hokies. They need a QB.

As far as the Cowboys go, I agree. Big 3rd down conversions, time and time again.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2396743 said:
I blame the O-line much more than the defense.

Yep. That OL was horrible yesterday. Flozell is playing terrible. Why not just let someone play his spot until he is healed?

Gosh - who would you put out there? :eek:

cowboybacker4life

Reaction score
superpunk;2396651 said:
Wait, who is this "everyone"?

I thought the defense gave it all they had against a really good offense for about three quarters yesterday. There comes a point where they can no longer hold back the waters.

Romo's coming back!
maybe I shouldn't have said everyone but Theebs and some others that all I have seen them say. Defense sucks this Defense sucks that.

aikemirv

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2396654 said:
it seems like the defense can never play for 4 quarters.

They played for 3 quarters in the first half!!!!!

Nexx

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2396642 said:
the defense sucks once Romo is back we will win 50-49 instead of any holding a team to a lower 14 points.

amen to that. the defense was sucking long before the offense starting sucking.

DABOYZ

Reaction score
The defense did spend alot of time on the field. But they didn't help their case by allowing the Giants to set the tone on the opening drive. They needed to step it up yesterday and it just didn't happen.

Not blaming Dware but man what is up with him running ten yards beyond the QB on his pass rush? Can we get a bull rush or spin move thrown in there every once in a while?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
The reason the D spent so much time on the field was that they couldn't stop the giants. If they could force a few three and outs they wouldn't be on the field.

That's waht a defense is suppose to do, stop the opponents. The offense has bailed them out many time in the past, it is time that they did the same for the offense, and they didn't stand up.

I blame this defense that has no heart and the stupid coaches. When they actually came after Eli, they created a couple of turnovers and made it hard for the Giants. But they quickly went back to the soft zone and got clobbered.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
cowboybacker4life;2396600 said:
Everyone can we please see what the defense can do when we actually have an offense that can move the ball and not turn it over on our own side of the field. Against Tampa this defense played great when the offense didn't commit a turnover. Against the Giants, Johnson and Boller gift wrapped 3 TD. The defense was playing pretty dang good until all that happens. They changed up their defensive game strategy a couple of weeks ago and i have seen improvement in our unit. I want to see how they play when the offense doesn't put them behind the 8ball. give them a chance

i agree totally, I for one thinks the defense has looked alot better the past two weeks.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
cowboybacker4life;2396877 said:
maybe I shouldn't have said everyone but Theebs and some others that all I have seen them say. Defense sucks this Defense sucks that.

ok fair enough.

I do think our defense stinks. As a unit it is bad.

They were in over their head going to ny with our current state of affairs on offense and I said as much all last week.

But at the same time. The defense is not good. Plain and simple.

If we score 28 or more points in a game they are good enough, if we dont we will lose.

The "2nd Downers" as I like to refer to them as, are a pretty average group.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Everyone can we please see what the defense can do when we actually have an offense that can move the ball and not turn it over on our own side of the field. Against Tampa this defense played great when the offense didn't commit a turnover. Against the Giants, Johnson and Boller gift wrapped 3 TD. The defense was playing pretty dang good until all that happens. They changed up their defensive game strategy a couple of weeks ago and i have seen improvement in our unit. I want to see how they play when the offense doesn't put them behind the 8ball. give them a chance

AdamJT13;2396606 said:
The defense played OK. They were bad at times and good at times. But the offense giving the Giants great field position over and over made the defense's performance look worse.

Chocolate Lab;2396614 said:
I don't blame the defense, I blame the offense.

Other than Mike Jenkins' ole, the offense was far worse than the defense yesterday. It wasn't even close.

DaBoys4Life;2396654 said:
it seems like the defense can never play for 4 quarters.

Tractor1;2396679 said:
Third down's the key. If a team doesn't win on third down the majority of the time, it can't win. Third and seventeen, third and twelve, third and nine or ten and continuously the opposing offense is allowed to convert. The defense is the problem.

SkinsandTerps;2396681 said:
The Defense has to take some blame.

SkinsandTerps;2396717 said:
I think they will embarrass the Hokies. They need a QB.

As far as the Cowboys go, I agree. Big 3rd down conversions, time and time again.

big dog cowboy;2396743 said:
I blame the O-line much more than the defense.

Dallas;2396762 said:
Yep. That OL was horrible yesterday. Flozell is playing terrible. Why not just let someone play his spot until he is healed?

Gosh - who would you put out there? :eek:

cowboybacker4life;2396877 said:

aikemirv;2396888 said:
They played for 3 quarters in the first half!!!!!

Nexx;2396898 said:
amen to that. the defense was sucking long before the offense starting sucking.

Mr Cowboy;2397001 said:
The reason the D spent so much time on the field was that they couldn't stop the giants. If they could force a few three and outs they wouldn't be on the field.

That's waht a defense is suppose to do, stop the opponents. The offense has bailed them out many time in the past, it is time that they did the same for the offense, and they didn't stand up.

I blame this defense that has no heart and the stupid coaches. When they actually came after Eli, they created a couple of turnovers and made it hard for the Giants. But they quickly went back to the soft zone and got clobbered.

Defense. Offense. Special teams. Play calling. Field position. Penalties. STUPID penalties.We can't run the ball. We can't throw the ball. We can't block, tackle, pressure or intimidate any given team.

Hell, other than that we're doing OK................:rolleyes:

Pick one fellas. There's plenty to go around.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Dallas' defense is ranked:

# 9 in yards allowed (300.9)
# 10 in passing yards (193.8)
#17 in rushing yards (107.1)
#21 in points allowed (24.3)

I really think that the run defense will get better when Tony Romo comes back. He will help put pressure on the other team by putting points on the board. That will give them more rest, and it will, hopefully, make the other teams have to pass more.

Dallas' offense has turned the ball over 18 times, and their opponents have turned it over 10 times. You can't be minus 8 in the turn-over battle, because you are putting your defense in bad positions. That needs to improve. The two back-up QBs were pick masters in two of their games, so that inflates the stat some.

Also, the defense's point total is inflated. The Eagles scored a TD on defense, and they scored a TD after that bogus PI call against Henry, in the endzone after a Romo pick. That is 14 points that wasn't the defense's fault.

The Cardinals returned a kickoff for a TD and blocked a punt for a TD. That is 13 points that wasn't the defense's fault. The Cardinals turned the ball over three times and lost an on-side kick and still won. One reason is Dallas turned the ball over, on the Cardinals' 25 yard line, on their first play after the defense forced an Arizona turn over.

The Giants scored 21 points off turn overs. Dallas went 3 and out, 4 times. The quarterbacks threw three picks, and the offense turned the ball right back over after Ware's fumble recovery. The Giants played on the short field like they love to do and went down hill from there. That is how they beat Pittsburgh. It was kind of like the 06 Saints game, hope had faded away for the defense. Some of the fight was taken out of them by the end of the game, and they were worn down. The 06 Giants game, at Dallas, is another example.

Dallas' defense didn't play very well against Washington, but they were on the field for 38:09 minutes while the Commanders' defense was on the field for 21:51 minutes. Dallas only lost this game by two points. In this game, the Cowboys' offense went 3 and out, 4 times. Furthermore, they went four and out, 1 time. That is 5/12 possessions or 42% of your possessions. The one four and out was the interception where the guy just made a good play.

After that play, the Commanders ran 9 plays and kicked a field goal. The offense went back out there and went 3 and out. The defense was right back on the field, and the defense wore down on a 12 play, grinding drive for a FG. The underdog smelled the upset in a rivalry game. The Commanders may have missed a longer field goal, but Dallas had 12 men on the field. I thought he missed one of them earlier, and they called it good.

The defense has given up some drives like most defenses do, especially against good teams. However, turnovers and special teams have put them in some very bad situations, as far as field position is concerned.

If Canty and Spears can find their run stopping mojo, the run defense will find itself. It is tough to get off blocks when you are tired, and your offense keeps turning the ball over. Therefore, you keep getting deeper in the hole.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score

With the exception of the opening 6 1/2 minute drive that resulted in a TD, I felt like the D was doing good for a while. They were putting a lot of pressure on Manning and then he gave up the pick for 6. Then we started to let off on the pressure and it went down from there. Not sure why we stopped blitzing cause it was clear Eli was getting rattled and making all kinds of mistakes, we just let off the throttle.:confused::confused::confused:

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2407812 said:
With the exception of the opening 6 1/2 minute drive that resulted in a TD, I felt like the D was doing good for a while. They were putting a lot of pressure on Manning and then he gave up the pick for 6. Then we started to let off on the pressure and it went down from there. Not sure why we stopped blitzing cause it was clear Eli was getting rattled and making all kinds of mistakes, we just let off the throttle.:confused::confused::confused:

Are you kidding me? That's half an entire quarter of football. Minus one play.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
The Giants had the ball for 34:13 while Dallas had it for 25:47. Greg Ellis was offsides on 3 and 4 (early in the drive) on the first Giants drive that resulted in a TD.

Here is the drive summary for the game:

1. NYG TD 11 plays 75 yards 6:13
2. Dallas punt (on the NY 37)
3. NYG punt (3 and out)
4. Dallas INT (4 and out)
5. NYG TD (drive starts at the Dallas 27) 14-0
6. Dallas punt (3 and out)
7. NYG Fumble (lost)
8. Dallas Fumble (lost)
9. NYG INT (pick 6) Mike Jenkins
10. NYG punt
11. Dal INT
12. NYG TD (drive starts at Dallas 48)
13. Dal punt (3 and out)
14. NYG half

2nd Half:

15. Dal INT
16. NY TD (drive starts at Dallas 18)
17. Dal punt (3 and out)
18. NY punt
19. Dal punt (3 and out)
20. NY Fumble (Drive starts on Dallas 30)
21. Dal TD (18 plays; 75 yards)
22. NY TD (9 plays drive)
23. Dal punt (3 and out)
24. NY punt
25. Dal End of Game

Here is just Dallas' possessions (1st Half):

1. punt
2. INT
3. punt
4. fumble
5. INT
6. punt

This was the first half. There were three turn overs and two 3 and outs in the first half. That isn't helping your defense at all. The first punt was from the NY 37.

Dallas (2nd Half Possessions)

1. INT
2. punt (3 and out)
3. punt (3 and out)
4. TD
5. punt (3 and out)
6. end of game

In the second half, there was a turn over on the first possession. All three punts were three and outs. So, before the Cowboys first TD, the defense had experienced four turn overs and four three and outs. That is eight times of going right back on the field. By the time Dallas had that long TD drive in the fourth quarter, it was too late. The defense was worn down, and the Giants put them away.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2397001 said:

The defense has underperformed for years now...no surprise that they continue to be the weak link. We have two of the weakest coaches in football today...Brian Stewart & Bruce Read are always out-coached and they have soft weak game plans with no ability for adjustments. Both should be fired immediately.

And I think we are finding out that our head coach is no defensive guru either since he is unable to improve our weak defense.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
41gy#;2407847 said:
The Giants had the ball for 34:13 while Dallas had it for 25:47. Greg Ellis was offsides on 3 and 4 (early in the drive) on the first Giants drive that resulted in a TD.

Here is the drive summary for the game:

1. NYG TD 11 plays 75 yards 6:13
2. Dallas punt (on the NY 37)
3. NYG punt (3 and out)
4. Dallas INT (4 and out)
5. NYG TD (drive starts at the Dallas 27) 14-0
6. Dallas punt (3 and out)
7. NYG Fumble (lost)
8. Dallas Fumble (lost)
9. NYG INT (pick 6) Mike Jenkins
10. NYG punt
11. Dal INT
12. NYG TD (drive starts at Dallas 48)
13. Dal punt (3 and out)
14. NYG half

2nd Half:

15. Dal INT
16. NY TD (drive starts at Dallas 18)
17. Dal punt (3 and out)
18. NY punt
19. Dal punt (3 and out)
20. NY Fumble (Drive starts on Dallas 30)
21. Dal TD (18 plays; 75 yards)
22. NY TD (9 plays drive)
23. Dal punt (3 and out)
24. NY punt
25. Dal End of Game

Here is just Dallas' possessions (1st Half):

1. punt
2. INT
3. punt
4. fumble
5. INT
6. punt

This was the first half. There were three turn overs and two 3 and outs in the first half. That isn't helping your defense at all. The first punt was from the NY 37.

Dallas (2nd Half Possessions)

1. INT
2. punt (3 and out)
3. punt (3 and out)
4. TD
5. punt (3 and out)
6. end of game

In the second half, there was a turn over on the first possession. All three punts were three and outs. So, before the Cowboys first TD, the defense had experienced four turn overs and four three and outs. That is eight times of going right back on the field. By the time Dallas had that long TD drive in the fourth quarter, it was too late. The defense was worn down, and the Giants put them away.

:hammer: That's what I've been trying to say for a while now, thanks..

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Weak Defense & Special Teams = No playoffs.

JJ better be studying the next head coach hire because he screwed up with all but the first one. And while he is at it, we need better scouts and drafts.

Time to clean house and start over: (1) get rid of old and/or under-performing players, (2) fire bad coaches, and (3) better scouts and drafts.