Ex-Deerfield Academy player (Randal Williams WR-turned-TE) makes mark with Raiders

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tuesday, September 13, 2005 By CHRIS KENNEDY

ckennedy@repub.com
Randal Williams has just started his fifth NFL season, something he owes directly to his ability to produce on special teams.

The former Deerfield Academy standout, now with the Oakland Raiders after four seasons with the Dallas Cowboys, proved his worth in that area again last Thursday night when he blocked a Josh Miller punt in the fourth quarter of his team's season-opening, 30-20 loss at the New England Patriots.

Early in that same quarter, Williams had been flagged for illegal motion on a night the Patriots graciously accepted 16 penalties committed by Oakland.

"I just wasn't having the best game," said Williams, who grew up in the Bronx section of New York City. "I was out there working hard, I had that one penalty when I went in illegal motion. Any time I taste adversity, I just have the competitive edge to go back in there and make a play. The coach called a punt rush, and it gave me an opportunity."

The protection broke down, and the 6-foot-3, 220-pound Williams broke through clean. The Raiders scored a touchdown as a result of the play, pulling to within 30-20 with a little over three minutes to play.

"It really parted like the Red Sea," said Williams, who played for current Mohawk coach Jim Smith while at Deerfield. "It's just one of those times when the opportunity is there, and you have to seize it. I wasn't going to shy away from it. I wanted to give my team an opportunity to get back in the game."

Miller was just happy that Williams pretty much picked the punt clean.

"Luckily, that guy knew how to block punts," Miller said. "Rookies will go right through you, and you can break a leg. That guy took right off, and got there fast."

Williams, who had injury problems last season, was released by Dallas in April. He signed with Oakland during training camp. Former Cowboys special teams coach Joe Avezzano now holds the same post with the Raiders.

"I had some ties with the special teams coach, and the team had some receivers banged up in training camp," said Williams, who played college football at New Hampshire. "They gave me an opportunity, and I just made the most of it."

Oakland has also presented Williams another opportunity - the chance to work at tight end. He was never able to climb the depth chart in Dallas at receiver, but perhaps at tight end he can give the Raiders another reason to keep him.

"It's a work in progress," Williams said. "I've learning the offense from the tight end's point of view, but while that's coming along, obviously, I have to make my living on special teams."

Williams feels good about the move to tight end.

"I believe I can do it, as long as they are willing to work with me and give me time to put the weight on," Williams said.

http://www.masslive.com/sports/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/11266587019400.xml&coll=1

mullet

Reaction score
I went to Deerfield Academy for two years.

I can't believe he made the Raiders team - didn't think he had a chance.

Wimbo

Reaction score
at TE??????? We know he can't catch... they expect him to block?

:confused:

Big D

Reaction score
Good For Randal. I think his stay with dallas was very valuable to him. Sometimes it takes being cut for a guy to get his head out of his @$$ and actually man up. I've watched the raiders a few times this preseason and in the opener and I think he might turn out to be a pretty good player. Although it would've been nice for him to realize his potential with us, I'm more than happy with our current options.