News: Ex-Longhorn Geoff Swaim: Learning curve with Cowboys starting to smoothe out

CCBoy

Reaction score
Ex-Longhorn Geoff Swaim: Learning curve with Cowboys starting to smoothe out
Ex-Longhorn Geoff Swaim: Learning curve with Cowboys starting to smoothe out | SportsDay

1470687142-NS_04AfternoonPract29.jpg

OXNARD, Calif. - Include tight end Geoff Swaim among the Cowboys taking advantage of opportunities over the first eight practices of training camp.

Swaim (6-4, 260) had a touchdown grab from backup Dak Prescott on Sunday and he's been a popular go-to for the rookie quarterback. The second-year player out of Texas has shown good hands and improvement while taking advantage of the position players ahead of him taking veteran rest days or coming back from injury.

"It's exposure and experience," coach Jason Garrett said. "And he's probably playing more decisively. He understands his technique more. He understands our system more. He's been in the different situations so he can pounce on them a little bit more instead of just surviving in those situations."

Swaim, a seventh-round pick in 2015, is part of a tight end group led by veteran/iron man Jason Witten. Gavin Escobar is working his way back from an Achilles injury. James Hanna is on the physically unable to perform list with a knee injury. Dallas also drafted project Rico Gathers, the former Baylor basketball player, and added undrafted rookie Austin Traylor.

Swaim had just one catch for no yards while playing in four games as a rookie in 2015.

Swaim is working on both his blocking - which he did primarily at UT - and his route running/receiving...

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
He was brought in as a blocking end. He has to get up to speed for the NFL.
Is that like damp fodder?

Texas longhorns are either soft or head cases.

Get some Texas Tech or Aggies for toughness!!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Is that like damp fodder?

Texas longhorns are either soft or head cases.

Get some Texas Tech or Aggies for toughness!!

Remember Darrel Royal?

Insult another school as your dartboard...know what USC stands for after OJ Simpson?

University of Scared Caucasians

Yuma Cactus

Reaction score
The TE group really impressed me last week, even with Hanna standing on the sidelines. Witten is a given but Escobar, Swaim and Traylor have all been catching almost everything. Rico made some excellent catches but also a number of bad drops. Not sure of Hanna's status but he just stood on the sidelines not doing any re-hab during practice. As a comparison Zeke, Collins and Mayowa worked the bands daily.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The TE group really impressed me last week, even with Hanna standing on the sidelines. Witten is a given but Escobar, Swaim and Traylor have all been catching almost everything. Rico made some excellent catches but also a number of bad drops. Not sure of Hanna's status but he just stood on the sidelines not doing any re-hab during practice. As a comparison Zeke, Collins and Mayowa worked the bands daily.

Yuma, what do you think about Cedric Thornton and Irving?

What about McClain at defensive tackle?

Do the rushmen have success against a very good offensive line?

Consistency is developed...right?

What about Irving with a long arm move?

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Hanna, over the years he's produced as a durable blocking TE, doesn't strike me as one that will loaf around when he needs to work/get conditioned. I can't recall what injury he's currently being hampered with but it might be one that requires rest/non-usage. He's no T.McClain.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Hanna, over the years he's produced as a durable blocking TE, doesn't strike me as one that will loaf around when he needs to work/get conditioned. I can't recall what injury he's currently being hampered with but it might be one that requires rest/non-usage. He's no T.McClain.

McClain had a valid injury, prior to this camp. This toe thing now, is an ingrown toe nail...

plasticman

Reaction score
Four TE's drafted in the last five years a 2nd riunder, two 6th's and a 7th....and they.are all still here so far.

Thats how you build a team.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
H-m-m-m, maybe Swaim will work out after all -- Garrett apparently approves of his development. He'd better if Swaim wants to stick around.

It's well known how our Texas-ex started out as a blocking acquisition at TE. Now he's morphing into a route-running and receiving TE. Nice.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've always had a bit of resentment towards the Swaim pick, because I thought it should have been Thomas Rawls instead of him. Not Swaim's fault in any way, just an issue for me. It's great to hear that he's stepping up, developing, and seizing opportunity. I had originally felt that Gaithers would make this team as one of 4 TE's they kept, but I've since changed my opinion. And Escobar's recovery and improvement make that look all but impossible.

Unless Hanna's issue is significant, I think Gaithers is a practice squad guy at best.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I've always had a bit of resentment towards the Swaim pick, because I thought it should have been Thomas Rawls instead of him. Not Swaim's fault in any way, just an issue for me. It's great to hear that he's stepping up, developing, and seizing opportunity. I had originally felt that Gaithers would make this team as one of 4 TE's they kept, but I've since changed my opinion. And Escobar's recovery and improvement make that look all but impossible.

Unless Hanna's issue is significant, I think Gaithers is a practice squad guy at best.

Yep... Gaithers has a looooooong way to go.

You may have got your Thomas Rawls with Darius Jackson..

Anyways, Alfred Morris is supposedly looking awesome in our scheme so one way or the other Dallas is going to have a quality runner all year.