News: Ex-Longhorn Geoff Swaim: Learning curve with Cowboys starting to smoothe out

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten, Escobar, Hanna, Swaim.
Escobar recovered quick, as I had him on PUP. But now Hanna has a knee issue. Any word on him, other than the dreaded day to day crap?
So Swaim will be there. I always thought and still do think, Gathers is a PS guy.

So if Hanna's knee is not an issue, I think they will go with the 4 TE's. So does that mean no FB, which I think is a mistake not to have a FB. I never liked this TE as a FB type deal It has not worked, so why try to force it.

So with 4 TE's, and they keep a FB, so no 4 RB's, no 6th WR. Or do they take away that extra DB or DL that is needed to see if one emerges.
Maybe go 8 OL and not 9.

But hopefully all this will be sorted out in TC.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep... Gaithers has a looooooong way to go.

Based on everything I've read, for sure. Practice squad at best. But I will admit to starting to have some concern about Hanna's knee. If it's bothering this much before the season, is it something to be concerned about long term?

You may have got your Thomas Rawls with Darius Jackson..

A bit early on that, based on Rawls' rookie season, but we can hope.

Anyways, Alfred Morris is supposedly looking awesome in our scheme so one way or the other Dallas is going to have a quality runner all year.

I have a feeling that last year's leading rusher won't be on the team's opening day roster.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I have a feeling that last year's leading rusher won't be on the team's opening day roster.

I got the same feeling.

I think the only way McFadden makes the team is through injury or if none of the other backs show they are capable of taking on the 3rd down role.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten, Escobar, Hanna, Swaim.
Escobar recovered quick, as I had him on PUP. But now Hanna has a knee issue. Any word on him, other than the dreaded day to day crap?
So Swaim will be there. I always thought and still do think, Gathers is a PS guy.

So if Hanna's knee is not an issue, I think they will go with the 4 TE's. So does that mean no FB, which I think is a mistake not to have a FB. I never liked this TE as a FB type deal It has not worked, so why try to force it.

So with 4 TE's, and they keep a FB, so no 4 RB's, no 6th WR. Or do they take away that extra DB or DL that is needed to see if one emerges.
Maybe go 8 OL and not 9.

But hopefully all this will be sorted out in TC.

At this point, I think they go light at offensive line with only 8. Thus far, I don't think any of the reserve linemen have shown enough to warrant a spot, but it's early yet and we'll see how things go in the preseason games.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point, I think they go light at offensive line with only 8. Thus far, I don't think any of the reserve linemen have shown enough to warrant a spot, but it's early yet and we'll see how things go in the preseason games.

Right, and they have gone with only 8 OL before. And when they do keep 9, one is usually inactive on game days.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right, and they have gone with only 8 OL before. And when they do keep 9, one is usually inactive on game days.

I thought there were typically only 7 active linemen, although I acknowledge I'm not sure? But right now, all I see as worthy of roster spots are the 5 starters, Leary, Looney, and Green.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I got the same feeling.

I think the only way McFadden makes the team is through injury or if none of the other backs show they are capable of taking on the 3rd down role.

I am going with Zeke, McFadden, Morris.
Unless Jackson proves something, to me he is a PS guy, unless they keep 4 RB's somehow.
For what ever reason [mostly the hate DMC still gets] people have Jackson upon a pedestal. Now I want to see him succeed, because we really need team speed. So I will hold of any roster projections on his part until after a few preseason games.

I can understand fans opinions of replacing DMC with Jackson, so I am not arguing that. It is just a matter of opinion at this point. I just want to see it proven on the field.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought there were typically only 7 active linemen, although I acknowledge I'm not sure? But right now, all I see as worthy of roster spots are the 5 starters, Leary, Looney, and Green.

Those are the 8 I have making the team.
Yes, I think it is 7 active game days, so if they keep 9, then 2 are inactive.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am going with Zeke, McFadden, Morris.
Unless Jackson proves something, to me he is a PS guy, unless they keep 4 RB's somehow.
For what ever reason [mostly the hate DMC still gets] people have Jackson upon a pedestal. Now I want to see him succeed, because we really need team speed. So I will hold of any roster projections on his part until after a few preseason games.

I can understand fans opinions of replacing DMC with Jackson, so I am not arguing that. It is just a matter of opinion at this point. I just want to see it proven on the field.

Perfectly reasonable expectation to have. I just think that his poor zone scheme fit, last year if his contract, and missing a large amount of training camp with this latest injury opens the door for Jackson to make this roster at McFadden's expense.

I'm not rooting for him to lose his job, but he's digging himself a hole considering the other factors. I think the worst part is that the team couldn't even trade the league's #4 rusher from last year if they wanted to, given the circumstances.

RS12

Reaction score
Unless Hanna's issue is significant, I think Gaithers is a practice squad guy at best.

Archer said the other day Gathers is behind Traylor on the depth chart. Traylor is an obvious cut, so........

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Archer said the other day Gathers is behind Traylor on the depth chart. Traylor is an obvious cut, so........

Yowza! So much for that experiment. Time to put him into mothballs for next year maybe.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Your sarcasm means nothing to me, I am not a UT fan. I also think those QBs are overrated as well.
Yes, they are, as well as the coach and AD.
So let's talk real football and not about those college wannabes.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Egads! Sir Jones keeps bringing in exotic pieces.
Maybe one day He will learn that pot roast is more reliable than his diamonds in the rough he seeks.
Here is a clue, Sir Jones! Midwest boys for your O line, WRs from the SEC, QBs from Ohio, runners from the South and DLs from Boise and LA.
Sick of your fancy pants experiments Sir Jones!

Yuma Cactus

Reaction score
Yuma, what do you think about Cedric Thornton and Irving?
David Irving is looking great and Thornton was out most of the practices I saw but is very stout.

What about McClain at defensive tackle?
T McClain is one of my favorites. The Iggle game last year he was a beast.

Do the rushmen have success against a very good offensive line?
More success than last year especially Lawrence and Irving.

Consistency is developed...right?
Yes.

What about Irving with a long arm move?
I like Lawrence's "long arm" and love Gregory's (sad face).