Ex-Panther dies from injuries playing Arena League Football

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just another reminder these guys play a dangerous game for a living...
---------
Lucas, 26, suffered apparent spinal cord injury

LOS ANGELES -- Former NFL defensive lineman Al Lucas died Sunday from a presumed spinal cord injury sustained while trying to make a tackle for the Los Angeles Avengers during an Arena Football League game, the team said.

Lucas was taken to California Hospital and all attempts to revive him were unsuccessful, team physician Dr. Luga Podesta said in a statement.

Members of the team were prohibited from speaking to the media after the game. A call to a California Hospital spokesman was not returned.

"It is with great sadness that we confirm the passing of Al Lucas. At this time, the thoughts and prayers of the entire Avenger organization are with his wife and family," team owner and chief executive officer Casey Wasserman said in a statement.

Lucas, 26, was injured during a first-quarter kickoff return against the New York Dragons.

Television replays showed Lucas bending down to make a tackle. The Dragons' ball carrier and a blocker tumbled over his head and back, with the blocker's leg appearing to hit Lucas in the head. Lucas did not move after falling to the ground.

The 6-foot-1, 300-pound lineman played two seasons (2000-01) for the Carolina Panthers, recording 49½ tackles in 20 games. He attended Troy State from 1996-99 and won the Buck Buchanan Award his senior season as the top defensive player in Division I-AA. In 43 games at Troy State he had 255 tackles and 11½ sacks.

He was selected to the Arena League's All-Rookie team in 2003 while playing for Tampa Bay.

"Al Lucas played arena football with passion and integrity. The entire AFL family extends its deepest sympathies to Al's wife and family as well as his friends, family and teammates," commissioner David Baker said in a statement.

Lucas was married to De-Shonda Lucas and had a daughter, Mariah.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2034326

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Its just a matter of time before a NFL player dies on the field. My prayers go out.

April 10, 2005 9:21 P.M.

Associated Press
LOS ANGELES -- Former NFL defensive lineman Al Lucas died Sunday from a presumed spinal cord injury sustained while trying to make a tackle for the Los Angeles Avengers during an Arena Football League game, the team said.
Lucas was taken to California Hospital and all attempts to revive him were unsuccessful, team physician Dr. Luga Podesta said in a statement.

Members of the team were prohibited from speaking to the media after the game. A call to a California Hospital spokesman was not returned.

"It is with great sadness that we confirm the passing of Al Lucas. At this time, the thoughts and prayers of the entire Avenger organization are with his wife and family," team owner and chief executive officer Casey Wasserman said in a statement.

Lucas, 26, was injured during a first-quarter kickoff return against the New York Dragons.

Television replays showed Lucas bending down to make a tackle. The Dragons' ball carrier and a blocker tumbled over his head and back, with the blocker's leg appearing to hit Lucas in the head. Lucas did not move after falling to the ground.

The 6-foot-1, 300-pound lineman played two seasons (2000-01) for the Carolina Panthers, recording 49½ tackles in 20 games. He attended Troy State from 1996-99 and won the Buck Buchanan Award his senior season as the top defensive player in Division I-AA. In 43 games at Troy State he had 255 tackles and 11½ sacks.

He was selected to the Arena League's All-Rookie team in 2003 while playing for Tampa Bay.

"Al Lucas played arena football with passion and integrity. The entire AFL family extends its deepest sympathies to Al's wife and family as well as his friends, family and teammates," commissioner David Baker said in a statement.

Lucas was married to De-Shonda Lucas and had a daughter, Mariah

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
That's a tough break for such a young man...

Prayers to his family, friends and teammates... they are all gonna have a tough time with this...

Witten

Reaction score
Lucas suffered fatal injury in Sunday's game
Story Tools: Print Email
Associated Press
Posted: 6 hours ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Former NFL defensive lineman Al Lucas died on Sunday from a presumed spinal cord injury sustained while trying to make a tackle for the Los Angeles Avengers during an Arena Football League game, the team said.

FOX Bite
Videos

Avengers suffer tragic loss
Hear reaction from the Los Angeles Avengers and the AFL as they mourn the passing of lineman Al Lucas, who was fatally injured while trying to make a tackle against the New York Dragons. Lucas, only 26 years old, died from a presumed spinal cord injury.

Al Lucas played two seasons (2000-01) for the Carolina Panthers. (Tom Hauck / Allsport / Getty Images)

The 26-year-old Lucas was injured during a first-quarter kickoff return against the New York Dragons.

The 6-foot-1, 300-pound lineman played two seasons (2000-01) for the Carolina Panthers.

Lucas was married to De-Shonda Lucas and had a daughter, Mariah.

Reaction score
Wow, this is upsetting news. I was torn from AFL yesterday due to a telethon in the area.

I would be interested in seeing that video clip.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
UppityCracker2 said:
Wow, this is upsetting news. I was torn from AFL yesterday due to a telethon in the area.

I would be interested in seeing that video clip.
I saw it on Espnews last night briefly, and it wasn't one of those big hits or anything. It's one of those that could happen to anybody in one of those pile ups. Very sad to see actually. I only saw it the one time and I don't think they showed it again, because at the time they were just reporting that he was taken off the field. I don't think the anchors knew that he'd passed on. :(

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
I saw it on Espnews last night briefly, and it wasn't one of those big hits or anything. It's one of those that could happen to anybody in one of those pile ups. Very sad to see actually. I only saw it the one time and I don't think they showed it again, because at the time they were just reporting that he was taken off the field. I don't think the anchors knew that he'd passed on. :(

Yeah, I agree that it would be sad. I thought it was one of those type of hits that are worth looking at to see what went wrong, but from what you said it sounds like something that its quite obvious and is just saddening.

TheHustler

Reaction score
I didn't see the game, but this should be a reminder to all of us, never take anything for granted, even the next play. I wish his family the best.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Sometimes it's a matter of a millimeter or a milimeter there and spectacular hits are the ones that people often walk away from.

I remember when Dale Earnhardt died thinking that was a pretty normal wall hit. It obviously wasn't.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
For all the ones that gripe about the game becoming a sissy flag football game...here you go...this game is extremely violent and dangerous. Sad because it's just a game.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
It is a tragedy...

It was originally posted yesterday... I am merging it with the original thread in the NFL Zone... no offense...