Ex-player lays out Cowboys issues, 'circus environment', 'inflated arrogance'

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was a chosen one of the staff and the coach. He wasn't in any way a "minority of this team". I have no idea where you get that idea.

He basically was an extension of management.

If you want to find out the real issues amongst the rank and file, you dig a little deeper than the top 5%.

Please do share this Witten expose' b/c I have no idea what your talking about.

kskboys

Reaction score
“It was quite mind boggling to me that the staff, headed by Garrett, was promoting a false culture around a mystique that had long since faded in the mind of those who lived outside the cultural bubble of the silver and blue. There is no doubt that the market of the Cowboys brand is the most powerful in sports. That market is based on an image that was built on the back of champions. That image is maintained by a hype machine that works in overdrive 24/7 and usually is more to the detriment of those on the roster than a benefit.”

Despite the fact that it appears his commentary was a jab at a possibly-departing Garrett, Nwaneri went on to note that was not quite what he perceived as the root cause what he coined as a false culture.

“The Dallas Cowboys fail because they have an owner who has interjected himself in the daily operations of a professional sports franchise. True enough it is his team, but there is a certain level of trust that an owner needs to have in the abilities of his coaching staff to do the job he has paid them to do. Jerry is the final say on all personnel decisions. He is the spokesperson for the cowboys. The biggest fan of the Cowboys. And in the end, his decree is passed down as if he was the head coach of the Cowboys himself. His influence over the entire narrative for the Cowboys is undisputed, both in the media, and the locker room.”

For emphasis, the post finished specifically with addressing the pitfalls facing a locker room that is dominated by the Jones specter.

“In the end, for better AND for worse, Jerry Jones is responsible for the constant failings of the Dallas Cowboys. The locker room in Dallas buckles under the immense pressure, and hype created by long past success. Long past success and nostalgia that Jerry himself is chasing. Until he decides to let go of that past glory and undisputed control/influence over the narrative of his team, changing coaches will not amount to the success he seeks. Until he steps back and lets go of the power he has embellished himself in, nothing will change. Until he allows himself to see the Dallas Cowboys for what they truly are, they will never be what he so desperately wants them to be. The Dallas Cowboys are a mediocre football franchise. A mediocre franchise with an extraordinary amount of talent. And that is solely the fault of the very man who long ago turned the silver and blue into a way of life. Jerry Jones.”

When a former player castigates a powerful figure like Jones, it is bound to provide some important food for thought for the fanbase.

For the full article:
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...n-garrett-uche-nwaneri-harsh-team-assessment/
Interesting stuff, but we already knew.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
That’s rather rhetorical to many things we all say on boards. Nothing new really. But why is it written in article format? It’s like a chapter in a novel,something is off about it. I’d have to see Reddit whom he’s talking to if any.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Uche Nwaneri lol... he was a blip on our radar...

His three months were pivotal...

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Honestly... this is the same regurgitated opinion we see all the time. I thought this was going to be by an Ex-Cowboys player who had been with the team for more than 5 mins. Those comments hold more weight than someone from the outside.
It only takes 5 minutes to figure it out.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don't lend any credence to what he said, but Troy said it and he was here. you just can't handle the truth...lol

Troy basically said he left Dallas because if the dysfunction. He actually got waived.

Has Judd Garrett left along with Jason, if it’s so ‘dysfunctional’? Why did Garrett try and keep his job?

Troy is just defending his clown friend. But it’s OK.. your buddy is out, that’s all the matters. If he’s so great, he’ll find under job

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry's biggest mistake has been making it about himself from the day he hired Barry Switzer. We'll see if he's gotten over THAT hump, but I doubt it.

Was that the last ten years?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
“It was quite mind boggling to me that the staff, headed by Garrett, was promoting a false culture around a mystique that had long since faded in the mind of those who lived outside the cultural bubble of the silver and blue. There is no doubt that the market of the Cowboys brand is the most powerful in sports. That market is based on an image that was built on the back of champions. That image is maintained by a hype machine that works in overdrive 24/7 and usually is more to the detriment of those on the roster than a benefit.”

Despite the fact that it appears his commentary was a jab at a possibly-departing Garrett, Nwaneri went on to note that was not quite what he perceived as the root cause what he coined as a false culture.

“The Dallas Cowboys fail because they have an owner who has interjected himself in the daily operations of a professional sports franchise. True enough it is his team, but there is a certain level of trust that an owner needs to have in the abilities of his coaching staff to do the job he has paid them to do. Jerry is the final say on all personnel decisions. He is the spokesperson for the cowboys. The biggest fan of the Cowboys. And in the end, his decree is passed down as if he was the head coach of the Cowboys himself. His influence over the entire narrative for the Cowboys is undisputed, both in the media, and the locker room.”

For emphasis, the post finished specifically with addressing the pitfalls facing a locker room that is dominated by the Jones specter.

“In the end, for better AND for worse, Jerry Jones is responsible for the constant failings of the Dallas Cowboys. The locker room in Dallas buckles under the immense pressure, and hype created by long past success. Long past success and nostalgia that Jerry himself is chasing. Until he decides to let go of that past glory and undisputed control/influence over the narrative of his team, changing coaches will not amount to the success he seeks. Until he steps back and lets go of the power he has embellished himself in, nothing will change. Until he allows himself to see the Dallas Cowboys for what they truly are, they will never be what he so desperately wants them to be. The Dallas Cowboys are a mediocre football franchise. A mediocre franchise with an extraordinary amount of talent. And that is solely the fault of the very man who long ago turned the silver and blue into a way of life. Jerry Jones.”

When a former player castigates a powerful figure like Jones, it is bound to provide some important food for thought for the fanbase.

For the full article:
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...n-garrett-uche-nwaneri-harsh-team-assessment/
Who?

Didnt even realize this dude was ever on the team....................what was he, practice squad?

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Here is another crazy story
During the post-game coverage for the one of the last two game Brian Broaddus told a story. He said after the 2016 season when Jerry won the EOY award, he asked him, which one would you prefer the EOY or SB? Jerry replied .. "Too close"

EVERY COWBOYS FAN READ THIS ... I heard one player once say he would give up one of his kids to get a SB ring .. to that extent .. and this guy considers personal meaningless award "too close" to a SB trophy he didn't touch for 25 years ...

Doesn't that tell you what this guy's priorities are? Yes he will do his best to win, just like we all do to do our best to win a poker game, or monopoly game etc .. but his top priority is $$$ and fame/glamour ....

I am telling all fellow fans .. enjoy the coming seasons, but keep this in mind:

DALLAS COWBOYS WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SB WHILE JERRY ON TOP.

:cool:

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Honestly... this is the same regurgitated opinion we see all the time. I thought this was going to be by an Ex-Cowboys player who had been with the team for more than 5 mins. Those comments hold more weight than someone from the outside.
Still that would be 5 min more than anybody on this board!

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
During the post-game coverage for the one of the last two game Brian Broaddus told a story. He said after the 2016 season when Jerry won the EOY award, he asked him, which one would you prefer the EOY or SB? Jerry replied .. "Too close"

EVERY COWBOYS FAN READ THIS ... I heard one player once say he would give up one of his kids to get a SB ring .. to that extent .. and this guy considers personal meaningless award "too close" to a SB trophy he didn't touch for 25 years ...

Doesn't that tell you what this guy's priorities are? Yes he will do his best to win, just like we all do to do our best to win a poker game, or monopoly game etc .. but his top priority is $$$ and fame/glamour ....

I am telling all fellow fans .. enjoy the coming seasons, but keep this in mind:

Who is this one player? I want to know so I can pray for his soul. What a satanic and worthless and disgusting thing to say. Might be one of the worst ever. Sickening that people can ever think that is OK. Wow.

Valkyr

Reaction score
So the amount of time you needed to be on the team in order to have a negative opinion of the way things are run is what exactly?

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
I remember this guy. 5 years starter in Jacksonville. Looked like a good upgrade to our line on paper. Lasted two months in Dallas. THIS is the "expert" on the culture in Dallas? A guy that couldn't make the team?

Spurdog

Reaction score

I actually tend to agree with this which is why I am only partly optimistic about McCarthy. If anything I hope if Jerry is interfering and prying in a way that Mike thinks is detrimental he will call it out and either get fired or finally put Jerry in his place and he will quit meddling. Yeah, I know... tough out.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Not a huge JG or Jerry defender by any means

But we're supposed to believe this guy gained an incredibly deep understanding of everything wrong with the Cowboys culture by being here for a couple weeks as a training camp body?

This article seems a bit of a stretch to me

People give credence to this guy but derided Dez as a malcontent.....
If 90% of the Zone can see it, I'm sure he could too. You won't hear it from many of the players because Jerry bought their houses for them. Aikman consistently eludes the same type of environment. Just sayin.