Excited about OL this year!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The line was getting old, slow, injured and in some cases, out-muscled. Excited to see so much young talent on it this year.

We are going to get some guys poached or traded this year after the dust is settled. I don't feel like any position is a lock, there are a lot of ways they could do the line this year with so much youth and versatility.
  • It was fun watching the energy from Bass and Hoffman last year when they got opportunities.
  • Now you add top pedigree like Guyton and Beebe.
  • Tyler Smith is our All Pro
  • Zack is still our HOF leader, and along with Steele will probably be much healthier this year.
  • Still think Richards might show something and have the rookie Thomas too.
  • Half-decent journeyman in Edoga. Still have Waletzko and Ball lingering around.
There will be some growing pains as these guys find their cohesion and some of the younger players develop, but feel pretty good about it right now. Just wish we had a deep RB platoon to go with it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should be some very good competition in TC which only helps everyone to be better. Should have some good depth.

I think they will try different lineups it OTA's, and mini camps. Then get settled in on one early in Oxnard.

Maybe Larry Allen can stop in to give them all some pointers as well.

If they gel real quick, is also a key. Especially to the run game. Which we still need to see how the RB situation works out.
I am sure there will be many mixed opinions on Zeke, unless they pick up a released RB or trade for one.

However this is about the OL and their run blocking and pass protection.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The line was getting old, slow, injured and in some cases, out-muscled. Excited to see so much young talent on it this year.

We are going to get some guys poached or traded this year after the dust is settled. I don't feel like any position is a lock, there are a lot of ways they could do the line this year with so much youth and versatility.
  • It was fun watching the energy from Bass and Hoffman last year when they got opportunities.
  • Zack is still our HOF leader, and along with Steele will probably be much healthier this year.
  • Half-decent journeyman in Edoga. Still have Waletzko and Ball lingering around.
There will be some growing pains as these guys find their cohesion and some of the younger players develop, but feel pretty good about it right now. Just wish we had a deep RB platoon to go with it.
One should not expect things to be great the first games of the season depending on who is playing where. Potential is excellent but once again that is all it is; nothing proven. I do not think Hoffman is going to be anything except a decent backup. Bass more hopefully. Cooper has to get experience playing center which he never has. Guyton has some rough edges.
Tyron Smith was second team all pro and deserved it last year so that is a real loss.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Maybe Larry Allen can stop in to give them all some pointers as well.
Why just 'stop in'? Throw some pads on him and let's see what he's got. Once a stud...always a stud regardless of age. Love me some Larry Allen.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Why just 'stop in'? Throw some pads on him and let's see what he's got. Once a stud...always a stud regardless of age. Love me some Larry Allen.
Lets call up Williams while we are at it.

gtb1943

Reaction score
A guy can dream. Never knew how good we had it back then. Top 3 olines of all time IMO.
We never really stank at O line from the first couple years under Landry until the Great Wall crumbled. Then we have only had three or four years here and there when we were really good. We got decent and then good under BP that lasted until 2010 and then it took several years to rebuild when Jerry refused to use high draft picks. Finally when we picked Tyron we started to rebuild, it was a real tragedy losing Fredbeard who was on the way to the HOF. We would have had three of them to build the rest around until this year.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

They better practice and play with knee braces considering the lack of experience and depth. One goes down and it will be Top 10 pick in the 2025 NFL draft.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree it's the one position that seems to be getting all the attention and that's for the good of being the fact that the trenches are really important and it looks like it's headed towards like 2014 where they finally rebuilt it and got it like at its peak...

That's supposed to be Romo friendly and then you know we happened in 2015 and 2016 two straight off seasons your quarterback gets hurt I just hope we don't end up with one of the best offensive lines in football but no quarterback again.... I mean in 2016 we got a new quarterback and running back I mean it didn't get us to a Super Bowl but I see the offensive line is headed in that same direction but now we have no quarterback under contract for 2025 but yes I am very encouraged about the offensive line they're just young it looks like they have multiple options for every position of need so there's going to be a lot of competition....

I believe the run game is already gonna be better I believe when I watched Hoffman and bass last year in a couple games they seem to be the better run production games of the year so getting some younger stronger more physical players in those positions would be good....

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
We never really stank at O line from the first couple years under Landry until the Great Wall crumbled. Then we have only had three or four years here and there when we were really good. We got decent and then good under BP that lasted until 2010 and then it took several years to rebuild when Jerry refused to use high draft picks. Finally when we picked Tyron we started to rebuild, it was a real tragedy losing Fredbeard who was on the way to the HOF. We would have had three of them to build the rest around until this year.
Agree. Pretty good history of superstars in Dallas with the line even if they’re not all Hollywood. Hoping this is the next wave. Sad that the trifecta didn’t get a Super Bowl, those guys made rookie Dak and Zeke shine, but Zack still has a shot.

conner01

Reaction score

I’m excited about the future but I’m worried about this year. LT for any rookie is tough, even the elite prospects

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The pass blocking was really good last season but the run blocking was some of the worst I think I’ve ever seen.

I think we see a set back in pass protection but a boost in run blocking.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

“top pedigree”? Two rookies on the OL, one playing a position in the NFL he did not play in college, and this is an offensive line that you’re counting on to be the difference between victory and defeat? “Ball lingering around”, “Half-decent journeyman”, this does not instill confidence. There is such a thing as misplaced optimism.

rambo2

Reaction score

It's awesome.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
I think we got some real potential. The new talent + a couple of nasties from 2023 draft. I really believe in Bass. He did some first class road grading last year and good with the pass blocking too. Kudos to @ blueblood70 for calling his name out above.

I must admit I want to see these guys work. FWIW I think Bass can play center too. Need an improved run scheme. What's y'all's take on Solari? I'm not a fan based on last year.

plasticman

Reaction score
All I heard prior to the draft was how Guyton was raw and would need time to develop due to such a small number of starts.

Now he's the blind-side protector in game #1?

Sorry, I'm not buying it. The Cowboys are going to "plug and play" two rookie O-line starters? Running behind them is the oldest version of Ezekiel Elliott to date?

I'm saying that Guyton is not a game #1 starter and the Cowboys offense will struggle during the first half of the regular season. In fact, my over/under for available starters on the O-line for game #1 is three.

In addition, didn't Steele tend to struggle at points last season? I predict an unforeseen starter in the O-line's future