CFZ Excited about this defense

9of11

Reaction score
I didn"t hate the niners until I saw how classless their fans were last year. I got banned from posting after I made a Karma post after their QBs went down as Karma for injuring Pollaed. They didn't like that at all. Lol
Yeah, that was pretty bad from their fans....of all the games I want a win against the iggles and iners.....a sweep of the iggles would make me real happy....and defiantly karma came for the winers.....it was sweet!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's hard to say at this point that the defense will be elite. My opinion is that won't happen until we get a defensive tackle who can consistently collapse the pocket. Mazi may turn into that player but it wouldn't be fair to expect that his rookie year. Odighizuwa and Golston provide some interior pressure, and Fehoko might can add to that. But for right now, better coverage and interior run-stopping is probably what we should expect, and what should make this defense even better than it was.
Until they get that elite, interior rusher, this defense will be capped as being good, but not an elite one. It is the final piece now they hopefully have a legitimate NT who can help stop the run.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Until they get that elite, interior rusher, this defense will be capped as being good, but not an elite one. It is the final piece now they hopefully have a legitimate NT who can help stop the run.
I thought 3-tech was more important to get than 1-tech after we re-signed Hankins, but Mazi should make our run defense stout paired with Hankins and does offer some pocket-pushing potential.

Right now, I look at it as Mazi and Hankins being out there early to try to put offenses in long-yardage situations so that we can bring in the pass rushers. But it is the the medium distances where it's hard to tell if a team will pass or run that is still a concern right now. Can't just stick DEs at DT in those situations. Odig and Golston are solid tweener players, but unless Mazi develops into that pocket-pushing monster or Fehoko proves to be a find as an interior penetrator, we are certainly missing that interior player who can be disruptive no matter what the offense does.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I thought 3-tech was more important to get than 1-tech after we re-signed Hankins, but Mazi should make our run defense stout paired with Hankins and does offer some pocket-pushing potential.

Right now, I look at it as Mazi and Hankins being out there early to try to put offenses in long-yardage situations so that we can bring in the pass rushers. But it is the the medium distances where it's hard to tell if a team will pass or run that is still a concern right now. Can't just stick DEs at DT in those situations. Odig and Golston are solid tweener players, but unless Mazi develops into that pocket-pushing monster or Fehoko proves to be a find as an interior penetrator, we are certainly missing that interior player who can be disruptive no matter what the offense does.
We are going to need one of those 3 tech's or Mazi to make that so called next step. Many numbers, but nobody has done so thus far.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If a player starts with energy and anger, mold that player into a controlled/disciplined player...and you have a star.

Simply, there is enough real talent on this team to do what Chuck Knoll did in Pittsburgh...mold a team that just couldn't into a dynasty. They assembled a young talented team, and now, Jerry has a similar team.

Let's see what they do as the secondary, linebackers, and defensive linemen start out to improve from good. This or the next season we as fans should see all of the real deal.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We are going to need one of those 3 tech's or Mazi to make that so called next step. Many numbers, but nobody has done so thus far.
I'm just happy right now that we actually invested a top pick in the DT position. Hopefully, it turns out well.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm just happy right now that we actually invested a top pick in the DT position. Hopefully, it turns out well.
I'm opportunistic they are finally addressing the DT position with premium draft capital. This year's success will all be about winning the early downs so teams have to face our pass rush.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys have finally grabbed the trainer bull by the horns...the big package has a lot of real talent and it's fast and strong, getting a lot stronger.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I thought that last year in the period after trading for Hankins and before Brown and Lewis were injured our biggest weakness on defense was a tackling machine LB with our #2 weakness being a top end 3 tech that can play both the run and the pass at a high level. After the trades and the draft our biggest weakness on defense is a tackling machine LB and a top end 3 tech. Maybe Osa continues to improve and we find a rotation guy behind him that can at least play at an NFL level and Clark steps up at LB and those weaknesses become strengths. Time will tell.