CFZ Excited about this defense

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
in GB we could not lock down thier run game in the second half which led to 2 and shorts which led to big plays in the passing game..again I think the problem we had was closing out some teams as they could run on us down the stretch, certainly we were not horrrible at anything on defense last year BUT if you can make them one deminsional with this pass rush it curtains for sure...like we were doing early in the seson and it led to many turnovers
This isn't data.

Besides, the Green Bay game is the perfect example of why you never sacrifice pass defense for run defense and why the only run defense that matters is playing with the lead. If not for the INTs, Dallas blows them out because GB's offense wasn't generating points via the run game. Dallas was winning 28-14 in the 4th quarter and had GB in a 4th and 7. There is no more definitive passing down in football - GB hit a 39-yard TD pass. Get a stop, and the game is over.

The pass defense - and to some extent the passing offense - killed Dallas against GB. The running game, on either side, was largely irrelevant to the outcome.

quickccc

Reaction score
In ’22, Teams could just run amok on our run defense and we could do nuthin’ to stop it much of the season.

- We acquired vet Hankins and tweaked and shored up gap lanes, at expense of sacks, but vs run, it helped our defense.
Hankins got dinged and injured, and it seemed like the band-aid began leaking again vs run.
If Massi develops well enuff in his rookie year, we won't have the problem of heavily depending upon one lone guy vs the run.

- I’m probably placing a lot on a rookie draft pick – but I expect Mazzi to be a huge, extra addition to our defense, pure stuffing the run.
I expect vet Hankins to continue to start and lead the 1 tech role (as he did upon trade arrival) and he was terrific)
with rookie Massi rotating and spelling Hankins while he learns the NFL trenches.
* Goal line Defense with both together should be awesome resisting force. - It could be like Snack Harrison/Hankins 2016 Giants interior.

- I strongly assume teams won’t be able to pick on CB Gilmore as they could Brown. Its not DPOY pre-ACL Gilmore, but he’s still a very solid CB in NFL.
Tight CB coverage from Diggs, Gilmore and Bland will force QBs to hold ball en route to coverage sacks and many hurried and throw away incompletions, imo

- Safety has become a such strength here (per Wilson, Kearse, Hooker and Izzy) - after so many years as a weakness.
Stephen had his critics with not investing in safety early drafts.
and I for one, am very glad the Earl Thomas and Jamaal Adams trade possibilities simply fell thru.

- Cowboys seem to have hit it big with late round draftee Wilson, ..and may have another late round gem find in Izzy.
In fact, we may have hit it more big with our late rd. DBs (ala Wilson, Izzy, Bland) than what we have with our very recent early round DBs (ala Joseph, Wright)
And team did not have to draft a safety very early to do so.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
It’s not your life. Two daughters, three sisters. They love me. Live and let live. But you do you. That’s OK.
I feel you . That's you but not mine. I never said I would go after the Team I said NOT MY DAUGHTER

But we are in agreement. DO YOU.

Women and Men Sports should NEVER be intertwined. This is America and I still Have the right to say that.

Three sisters, One Daughter and two granddaughters and a Host of nieces, They love me and Better yet I LOVE THEM

None of them attempt to play with the Boys, They listen to my thoughts on the matter.

Peace.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I feel you . That's you but not mine. I never said I would go after the Team I said NOT MY DAUGHTER

But we are in agreement. DO YOU.

Women and Men Sports should NEVER be intertwined. This is America and I still Have the right to say that.

Three sisters, One Daughter and two granddaughters and a Host of nieces, They love me and Better yet I LOVE THEM

None of them attempt to play with the Boys, They listen to my thoughts on the matter.

Peace.
So there’s never a Family baseball game. Where they interact. This is not the place for this discussion but. I know my girls know there is good as anyone.

quickccc

Reaction score
Our pass rush wasn’t what it had been earlier in the season. We only sacked Lawrence once. He was able to avoid pressure and make plays. We had all the momentum just like in the Green Bay game and our defense let us down. The Cowboys continue to lack a killer instinct.
Like some others, I contributed the lack of pass rush later in the year as Quinn making major tweaks and adjustments in the run gap defense.

Sacrificing pass rush for immediate on the run improvement for the much needed run defense.

It's one thing if one guy is in a sackless slump, ..but when we have several guys not getting sacks, after leading or being 2nd in sacks, then something
just had to be going on.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
try again.

any other so any of the other 31 and we are in??? lmao

some of you cant help yourselves but Daks top 10 but the OL and run game and OC aided in that loss. period end of story., and that top d, while great, also had diggs not make play on kittles or why was an DL chasing Kittles that far down field, whose play was that why was that coverage called?? or that INT that hit him in the hands. sorry but dak dint pay well for good reason ie INT1 Gallup gets pushed off his route and undercut making no effort to go back for the ball but the DB ran the route for him. Odd, a DB is better at reading and runnig a route. Dalton makes 2 boneheaded mental mistakes , again OL cant open hole, gets stood up and or pushed back all game Ceedee only player making plays.. sure all dak..31 starters were better options. come on , what a clueless statement like those on sm still thinking Rush wins that game! with NO RUN GAME bad play calling and the of the best DL.f7 inthe league with no OL to speak of..right..
The fact that you wrote an entire book about how Dak didn't play like dog **** in that game vs the 49ers is proof that Dak indeed played like dog ****. I'm not a huge Dak fan but I'm not someone who just bashes him for no reason. I think if our defense plays well and Dak just plays average this team can go far next season. That said. Dak is the biggest reason we lost to the 49ers. Don't know why the offends you so much.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Like some others, I contributed the lack of pass rush later in the year as Quinn making major tweaks and adjustments in the run gap defense.

Sacrificing pass rush for immediate on the run improvement for the much needed run defense.

It's one thing if one guy is in a sackless slump, ..but when we have several guys not getting sacks, after leading or being 2nd in sacks, then something
just had to be going on.
Our pass rush was on a historic pace to break the 84 Bears sack record then it disappeared. You could put some of it on tweaks to stop the run, but not all of it. Not only were our sack numbers down, but our pressures were way down which hurt our pass coverage. If the Cowboys are going to have a top defense, they have to be efficient at getting to the QB and stopping the run.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
How can you be the best defense in the league and only rank 8 to 10
Play against good offenses. Defensive rankings are a product of who you play more than anything else.

Look at Philly last year. They got smoked by every good offense they played.

9of11

Reaction score
I just want the Cowboys to beat the iggles and winers....If we lost all our games but beat the iggle and winers...its a positive season for me...Did i tell everyone how much I HATE the iggles and winers.........

quickccc

Reaction score
Our pass rush was on a historic pace to break the 84 Bears sack record then it disappeared. You could put some of it on tweaks to stop the run, but not all of it. Not only were our sack numbers down, but our pressures were way down which hurt our pass coverage. If the Cowboys are going to have a top defense, they have to be efficient at getting to the QB and stopping the run.
Stopping the run comes first - and we've displayed if first season half how we can be a top sack the QB unit.

You cannot have teams being able to effectively do with both busting you wide open vs run,.. and having backup QBs doing a number on you vs the pass.
That basically allows them to be able to pick their poison and do what able they want on you.
You have to be able to eliminate the more easier one, and force them to become one dimensional.

Again,.. how do you explain all of our pass rushers ineffective and going into a sack-less slump all at the same time and same point of the season ?

I cannot place the sack-less streak on team fatigue because if that was the case, then we would not have played as strong as we did vs Brady and Bucs, .
.and 3 quarters vs Shanahan's Niners playoff game.

Reaction score
So there’s never a Family baseball game. Where they interact. This is not the place for this discussion but. I know my girls know there is good as anyone.
Yeah right , you know what I mean but yeah go ahead and be a smartazz.. I mean organized sports but yeah you showed me where you are with this

B Blessed

Reaction score
And to be honest the girls never played "Family Baseball" I came up in the Late 70's early 80's Girls did not try to play with us. Pick up softball we had a couple of Lesbians that would play and played well. But football

and basketball ? No way they would get hurt. They didn't want to play, we didn't want them to

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm kinda tired of people calling Joseph a bust, especially after getting us back in the San Fran game by forcing that fumble. Had we won that game, he'd be the biggest reason. That was a clutch play....guy deserves a chance. Prob one of our best STs players.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I just want the Cowboys to beat the iggles and winers....If we lost all our games but beat the iggle and winers...its a positive season for me...Did i tell everyone how much I HATE the iggles and winers.........
I didn"t hate the niners until I saw how classless their fans were last year. I got banned from posting after I made a Karma post after their QBs went down as Karma for injuring Pollaed. They didn't like that at all. Lol

MikeB80

Reaction score
I have a sneaking suspicion the 2023 Dallas Cowboys defense is going to really miss playing against,

Carson Wentz
Detroits offense missing both starting wr, a rb and the starting tight end
Rookie Justin Fields
Matt Ryan
Davis Mills
Gardner Minshew
Joshua Dobbs
Sam Howell

blueblood70

Reaction score
The fact that you wrote an entire book about how Dak didn't play like dog **** in that game vs the 49ers is proof that Dak indeed played like dog ****. I'm not a huge Dak fan but I'm not someone who just bashes him for no reason. I think if our defense plays well and Dak just plays average this team can go far next season. That said. Dak is the biggest reason we lost to the 49ers. Don't know why the offends you so much.
Nope, talk to texted NOT WROTE, less time for you drools.

all facts on why it wasn't JUST DAK, many on O and coaches were all FRESH Dog droppings, like your response. that hater troll type dribble. Blame one person, not what caused the poor play.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Nope, talk to texted NOT WROTE, less time for you drools.

all facts on why it wasn't JUST DAK, many on O and coaches were all FRESH Dog droppings, like your response. that hater troll type dribble. Blame one person, not what caused the poor play.
I'm probably the most positive poster on this entire forum. This forum is full of troll hater types for sure, I'm starting to believe it's encouraged. That's a completely different story for another day. I am on record and can bring back hundreds of posts of mine that say I don't hate Dak nor am I his biggest fan. The wild card game the week prior to the 49ers he was the best player on either team. Against the 49ers he was the worst player on the field. This is one of the few instances where I will back a Dak hater troll. There is steam coming out your ears because I said Dak played like dog **** against the 49ers. I honestly don't understand how that is wrong. It's okay if you disagree with me but the way your defending his horrendous QB play that day is pretty ridiculous. There were absolutely 20+ other QBs in the league that day that give us a better chance to win. ON THAT DAY. Not saying every day but on THAT DAY. He completely let this team down when they really needed him to play average. Not even good he just needed to be average that day.