CFZ Excited about young offensive linemen

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I know there are some legitimate concerns about depth, especially at center, but I really like what we saw from the two rookie OL we kept on the roster, Asim Richards and T.J. Bass.

Richards got an extended look at left tackle that he wouldn't have received if Chumwa Edoga hadn't missed the preseason, and he did not disappoint. Some strength deficiency shows up when he's moved inside to guard, but he has good foot quickness and the ability to handle inside counters at tackle. He may not develop into anything more than a backup tackle, but there's some promise there.

Bass was everything fans hoped he'd be when Dallas signed him. He was a little quiet when the preseason started and then he worked his way up to where the team had no choice but to keep him. I think awareness is his top trait. He handles what's coming because he sees it coming. He moves his feet well and shows sufficient power to handle what's thrown at him. Looks like a starter in the making.

I'm also glad we kept Bostick on the PS because he looks like he's worth developing.

Ball and Waletzko have disappointed in their efforts at tackle, while these three players provide some hope. Of course, Ball looked a lot better at guard this preseason than he did at tackle, where he can't seem to handle speed, and I haven't given up hope on Waletzko developing. For now, though, Edoga will have to be our older option if something happens to a starting guard or tackle.

Hopefully, Bass will be able to pick up playing center so we don't have to rely on either of the two scrubs we've got on the practice squad. We've essentially got six games to get him there (three callups each), while we cross our fingers and hope nothing happens to Biadasz during that time.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know there are some legitimate concerns about depth, especially at center, but I really like what we saw from the two rookie OL we kept on the roster, Asim Richards and T.J. Bass.

Richards got an extended look at left tackle that he wouldn't have received if Chumwa Edoga hadn't missed the preseason, and he did not disappoint. Some strength deficiency shows up when he's moved inside to guard, but he has good foot quickness and the ability to handle inside counters at tackle. He may not develop into anything more than a backup tackle, but there's some promise there.

Bass was everything fans hoped he'd be when Dallas signed him. He was a little quiet when the preseason started and then he worked his way up to where the team had no choice but to keep him. I think awareness is his top trait. He handles what's coming because he sees it coming. He moves his feet well and shows sufficient power to handle what's thrown at him. Looks like a starter in the making.

I'm also glad we kept Bostick on the PS because he looks like he's worth developing.

Ball and Waletzko have disappointed in their efforts at tackle, while these three players provide some hope. Of course, Ball looked a lot better at guard this preseason than he did at tackle, where he can't seem to handle speed, and I haven't given up hope on Waletzko developing. For now, though, Edoga will have to be our older option if something happens to a starting guard or tackle.

Hopefully, Bass will be able to pick up playing center so we don't have to rely on either of the two scrubs we've got on the practice squad. We've essentially got six games to get him there (three callups each), while we cross our fingers and hope nothing happens to Biadasz during that time.
Bass playing OC this season seems very very optimistic.

Long term he looks more like an OC than OG physically.

Either way he needs an offseason like Steele after his rookie year in order to reshape his body.

stiletto

Reaction score

I hope they work out. We won't know until they get in the games but I liked what I saw from Bass over Ball/Walenzko/Farniok, etc. Clearly he has some potential where I didn't really see any in those other guys. Just hope we don't lose Biadasz or it might be ugly. No backup center with NFL experience? That's a BIG gamble.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Richards has high upside, IMO. Silky smooth athlete. Surprising power considering concerns about his bench press reps.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the OL will be better than some are saying.

My theory is some been saying all off season the did not address it. So if they suck in certain areas, they will have something to blame a poor performance on. When it could be that player just had a bad game.

And yes games do go as the OL and DL line go. But not every thing that goes wrong should be blamed on either.

stiletto

Reaction score

My theory is some been saying all off season the did not address it. So if they suck in certain areas, they will have something to blame a poor performance on. When it could be that player just had a bad game.

And yes games do go as the OL and DL line go. But not every thing that goes wrong should be blamed on either.
I would've just felt a lot better if they had gotten one guy that could flex who has started multiple games. I think they got that Harlow guy but not sure what he offers. He was cut so, I doubt too much.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Bass playing OC this season seems very very optimistic.

Long term he looks more like an OC than OG physically.

Either way he needs an offseason like Steele after his rookie year in order to reshape his body.
It depends on how quickly he can pick things up. Obviously, he picked up playing on the right side fairly quickly, but that's just a small change in comparison.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I hope they work out. We won't know until they get in the games but I liked what I saw from Bass over Ball/Walenzko/Farniok, etc. Clearly he has some potential where I didn't really see any in those other guys. Just hope we don't lose Biadasz or it might be ugly. No backup center with NFL experience? That's a BIG gamble.
Ball showed surprising power in run blocking at guard. However, when they moved him out to tackle, he showed that he still struggles with speed players and might do that pass blocking at guard against starting DTs who have topnotch movement skills.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I like those two OL Dallas picked up, and think they'll be ok if pressed into duty. I also like Alex Taylor on the PS. 2 OTs and a OG/C/OT is a good haul for one offseason.

These better keep improving because I see draft picks flowing towards the OL next draft if these don't make a good impression.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Hope you're right. They scare me.
The only part that should scare us is that we might have to rely on a UDFA and third-day pick this year as rookies instead of giving them time. It's like everyone getting mad at Tolbert last year for not being starter quality from the get-go. That was the front office's fault because we shouldn't have been relying on a small-school, third-round pick to be an NFL product as a rookie and we were because we went cheap in FA and relied on an injured WR being full-go.

Going cheap with Edoga and the center position may force Bass and Richards into action sooner than they should play, but it's what the Joneses do.

Plankton

Reaction score
Well, we will certainly learn a lot about Solari's coaching chops with the inexperience of this crew. Should be interesting.

rambo2

Reaction score

If they hit on Richards and Bass it would be huge. Then we need to sign Steele and draft another one.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Happy to not hear the Ball, Walenzko nonsense anymore.

Bass and Richards actually showed something in PS.

Gambit

Reaction score
Richards has high upside, IMO. Silky smooth athlete. Surprising power considering concerns about his bench press reps.
Richards was one my pet cats in draft. I think long term he will be a guard be he needs to work on strength. His time at LT in preseason was a nice surprise.

Gambit

Reaction score
The only part that should scare us is that we might have to rely on a UDFA and third-day pick this year as rookies instead of giving them time. It's like everyone getting mad at Tolbert last year for not being starter quality from the get-go. That was the front office's fault because we shouldn't have been relying on a small-school, third-round pick to be an NFL product as a rookie and we were because we went cheap in FA and relied on an injured WR being full-go.

Going cheap with Edoga and the center position may force Bass and Richards into action sooner than they should play, but it's what the Joneses do.
All teams are having same problem on OL, just isn't enough time for them to develop in the current era. Just no good depth League wide

gimmesix

Reaction score
If they hit on Richards and Bass it would be huge. Then we need to sign Steele and draft another one.
The only negative is that it makes this front office think it can just find what it needs this way. They don't need any reinforcement that their way can be effective when we've seen that it ultimately has not been. They deserve credit for keeping the team relevant most years, but blame for not understanding the need to couple that with a few key FA moves.

Not sure how it will play out this year, but we always seem to run into problems with areas where we chose to go cheap instead of fortify the team with quality.

rambo2

Reaction score
The only negative is that it makes this front office think it can just find what it needs this way. They don't need any reinforcement that their way can be effective when we've seen that it ultimately has not been. They deserve credit for keeping the team relevant most years, but blame for not understanding the need to couple that with a few key FA moves.

Not sure how it will play out this year, but we always seem to run into problems with areas where we chose to go cheap instead of fortify the team with quality.
Fortification = Cooks + Gillmore.