Excuses are for the pretenders

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
They have been pretending for decades. Only thing that has changed is the owners net worth.
great post the excuse making for this team is just awful there is no way a excuse holds up after watching a team win with all the adversity they went through

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
SO this thread is excusing all the trolls who constanty badmouth every aspect of the team ........ verbal irony.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is just another thread for the habitual whiners. To say it’s a tired subject is the understatement of the century. But haters gonna hate.

There's a simple solution to this issue.

The Cowboys could actually win something of note. There could actually be real standards in place by our owner/GM. The coach could actually be judged based on on the field performance instead of silly things like "investment" in him that the owner doesn't want to waste, etc.

I often chuckle at people like yourself who get upset that the team gets criticized, a team that has basically done nothing for 22 seasons. What do you expect from a franchise that has largely been adrift for two decades? You may not believe it but I suspect the tone around here and most Cowboys boards would be significantly different if we were a franchise that has experienced great success the last 22 years as opposed to being one of the few franchises that has been inept as we have been.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
As one of the youngest teams, if not the youngest, in the league this rings hollow. They have been getting rid of unproductive players, i.e. Dez, Mayoa, Scandrick, Claiborne, etc., etc. The haters rejoice in this Jimmy Johnson take from years ago and celebrate another outlet for their hate. The usual posters are participating.
Jimmy's a blow hard talking about there is no fear in Dallas. Hell, the only players that were truly fearful for their jobs when he was coach were the guys at the bottom of the roster. you know, just like every other team. There was no way he would have gotten rid of an Irvin or Haley or Newton or any number of "star" players that were train wrecks off the field. So what Dallas is currently doing by jettisoning players like Dez is much more than Jimmy ever did (unless I am forgetting a big name player that he axed).

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Cowboys could actually win something of note. There could actually be real standards in place by our owner/GM. The coach could actually be judged based on on the field performance instead of silly things like "investment" in him that the owner doesn't want to waste, etc.

I often chuckle at people like yourself who get upset that the team gets criticized, a team that has basically done nothing for 22 seasons. What do you expect from a franchise that has largely been adrift for two decades? You may not believe it but I suspect the tone around here and most Cowboys boards would be significantly different if we were a franchise that has experienced great success the last 22 years as opposed to being one of the few franchises that has been inept as we have been.

Jerry being the smart business man that he is. and I am sure he has a very good stock broker. But he needs to take the advice from what most financial experts tell their clients.
Do not chase your losses, you will just lose more. And this is what he is doing with Garrett, chasing his losses, because of an emotional investment. But he is a gambler, and gamblers do the same thing, chase their losses, only to lose more.

Jerry, stop chasing your losses, cut bait and move on. Make our day, fire Garrett. :D

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Accept them? They are the ones making them.

The unbridled optimism that oozes from the Jones family is the true poison that has killed this franchise. There is always something, injuries or just plain old bad luck, that they are more than content to embrace as a reason for the failures.
Yeah, it’s an inherent problem when your executive sales director is also your GM.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I criticize the team as well. I just don't do it 99% of the time like you and some others do.

Sydla

Reaction score
I criticize the team as well. I just don't do it 99% of the time like you and some others do.

Because 99% of the time, this team fails. They have like 4 playoff wins in 20 years. They haven't seen a conference title game since the mid 90s. They have an owner that consistently proves he doesn't really have an idea as to what he's doing and the last 22 years of results show that.

That's why people complain........... a lot.

And you barely criticize the team. You are one of the biggest homers around here. Your existence is to blow smoke up their butts and then go around and chastise fans who complain that they aren't a real fan like you.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Personally, I don't get the vendetta against our current GM/owner. The team has won more SB's with the current owner/GM than with all previous. Now I get the jealousy bit because he's taken a team from nearly broke back bare to a billion dollar franchise but honestly folks, if you haven't accomplished that in your lives, that's unfortunate. I also get the vehement dislike for firing Landry BUT the last 3-4 years of Landry teams were Hogabust and Landry eventually passed away with late stage Alzheimers. You guys do realize that Tom had the endearing way of forgetting players name right

Last edited:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

There an even simplier solution to this issue .......... if you do not like the product, stop watching it or mentioning it at all.

If not then you are supporting Jerry Jones.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love this team. I want them to win. Which is why I think it’s healthy to discuss the possible reasons why they have not had playoff success for two decades plus. IMO, that’s not “hate”.

Cowboys fans have a very diverse set of opinions, except on one thing- we all want to see this team win. My intent with this post is to simply say I think our team’s leaders make and embrace too many excuses. That’s “hate”?

Don’t like or are tired of the topic? Use your power of choice and don’t post. Maybe it will die a natural death from lack of interest.

Sydla

Reaction score
Personally, I don't get the vendetta against our current GM/owner. The team has won more SB's with the current owner/GM than with all previous. Now I get the jealousy bit because he's taken a team from nearly broke back bare to a billion dollar franchise but honestly folks, if you haven't accomplished that in your lives, that's unfortunate. I also get the vehement dislike for firing Landry BUT the last 3-4 years of Landry teams were Hogabust and Landry eventually passed away with late stage Alzheimers

Vendetta?

The team won SBs back in the early and mid 90s with teams built in conjunction with Jimmy Johnson. That's not to say Jerry gets no credit. He deserves credit as well for those teams. But when one of the key variables was removed - Johnson - and the teams they built finally ran their course, what has the GM/owner done?

Nothing. Since the 1996 SB team the Cowboys, under the guidance of Jones, has made the playoffs only 9 times in 22 seasons. That's pretty abysmal, wouldn't you agree? Over that same 22 year period, they have only 3 playoff wins. That's pretty abysmal, right? They have zero conference title game appearances in 22 years. Again, that's pretty abysmal. Since 1996, 13 different NFC teams have played in at least one NFC conference title game. Only the Lions, Skins, and yes, our Cowboys have not even played in a conference title game over that 22 year period.

And now look at that in the context that the Cowboys are supposed to be one of the elite franchises in this league, one the most important franchises in NFL history.

That's why people have issues with Jerry. He's been the face and the decision maker and the player personnel guy and the picker of coaches that has resulted in a two decade run that puts the Cowboys at the bottom of NFC teams in terms of high level success. It's not because people are jealous of his money or bitter he fired Landry.

It's because he's taken a proud franchise and taken them on a two decade run of futility. How don't people see that?

JustChip

Reaction score
Personally, I don't get the vendetta against our current GM/owner. The team has won more SB's with the current owner/GM than with all previous. Now I get the jealousy bit because he's taken a team from nearly broke back bare to a billion dollar franchise but honestly folks, if you haven't accomplished that in your lives, that's unfortunate. I also get the vehement dislike for firing Landry BUT the last 3-4 years of Landry teams were Hogabust and Landry eventually passed away with late stage Alzheimers. You guys do realize that Tom had the endearing way of forgetting players name right

I don't necessarily have a "vendetta" against Jerry, and certainly not jealous of him (or anyone else for that matter) for what the have or accomplish financially. But Jerry does deserve to be criticized for the last 20 years. Those 3 Super Bowls were nice, but this is a "what have you done for me lately" world and 22 years goes way beyond any reasonable definition of lately. Jerry certainly deserves some credit for those 3 SBs, but any realistic person knows that it was mainly Jimmy. Again, the results of the last 22 years reinforces that. The last few years though, with Jerry seemingly stepping back from being as involved as he had been, gives me hope for the future.

Your point on the firing of Landry is very true. There was no shortage of believe that Tom needed to go, even Tex Schramm wanted to make a move but didn't know how to gracefully. I don't know that it was as much about firing Tom as it was the callous way it was done. Certainly there would be some that would've held it against Jerry however he did it.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Personally, I don't get the vendetta against our current GM/owner. The team has won more SB's with the current owner/GM than with all previous. Now I get the jealousy bit because he's taken a team from nearly broke back bare to a billion dollar franchise but honestly folks, if you haven't accomplished that in your lives, that's unfortunate. I also get the vehement dislike for firing Landry BUT the last 3-4 years of Landry teams were Hogabust and Landry eventually passed away with late stage Alzheimers

It is about confidence the right people are in the right positions to give the team the best opportunity for success. I have typically been a Jerry supporter. I used to poke Gregg using Jerry's success on the old board but seeing Jerry on All or Nothing just chapped my hide. When Zeke showed poor effort against Denver, Jerry stated he didn't want to make excuses and then proceeded to make excuses. That's toxic.