Expect a longgggg draft day

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I fully expect this draft to fall alot like the Julius Jones draft did.

Dallas wants OLB/S/OT and at 18 honestly there appears to be a glut of those guys available. The elite OL will be off the board as will the best OLB and the bluechip S. Michael Huff.

To me you're looking at a mix of guys with fairly equal talent. There's about 9 blue-chippers in this draft and then you can pick your position for the next best guy at each but value is similar.

I'd say Dallas can trade down to 22 to 28 and get the OL/LB/FS they wanted anyway while grabbing a 4th this year and a 1st or 2nd next year depending upon how far down the drop is. I suspect Dallas would like to stay in front of the Giants but that issue may be less important wiht rumors of Arrington being closer to finally signing as a Giant and with them needing some youth at CB. Ashton Youboty could be a ripe selection for them. If you remove the Ginats from the mix Dallas could be set to select Bobby Carpenter prior to the Steelers drafting to close the 1st round.

A lot of teams would like to move down as the value chart will favor moves down once you get passed slot 9 or 10. Thus Dallas will likely have to take a return involving next year's draft.

The draft is a really wonderful thing to watch play out but it can be boring at times and can also break your heart. With Ireland running the most successful draft since Johnson/Ackles last season I believe any extra selections have more weight in Dallas than in most places. So while we may yawn through this draft don't be suprised to see Ireland put in position to rebuild the offense next draft day.

I would love to wrong about this but am afraid thats not the case.

In the end I expect a trade down and minimal return this season with a Bobby Carpenter/Donte Whitner/Marcus McNeill selection as the draftee. I do think those 3 could start in Dallas though McNeill probably wouldn't week 1.

Reaction score
The 1st round is 15 mins between picks isn't it, and the draft starts at 11 est? So that means Dallas' pick could be 4 - 4 1/2 hours deep into the draft if they stand pat?

Man, I know a lot of you guys live for this stuff, but gawd dang, that's an arse whip to me.

I think I'll just do as I always do, watch the first hour or so, then check in every hour while I do my normal chores/errands.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
Man, I know a lot of you guys live for this stuff, but gawd dang, that's an arse whip to me.

No way man. The draft is the absolute best. I can watch it all day without ever getting up. I find it one of the most exciting days in all of sports. But I see what you're saying. Everyone at work makes fun of me for it, but I think its better than Superbowl Sunday (provided dallas isn't it in)

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
All will depend on who makes the first reach or makes an unexpected pick. Once that starts to happen, players slide.

We could very well get some good offers to trade down.

Or we might ending up sitting put bec. the offers aren't good enough.

Should be a very interesting draft. One of the most interesting drafts I will have watched (anticipating it to be).

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell said:
I'd say Dallas can trade down to 22 to 28 and get the OL/LB/FS they wanted anyway while grabbing a 4th this year and a 1st or 2nd next year depending upon how far down the drop is.
Been saying the same thing for months now JT so I gotta agree. Some may have forgot we do not have a 4th this year because of Canty. We need to acquire more picks so Ireland can do his magic. It does make for a long wait. Sunday night, we will all be happy and gushing over next year. :D

sago1

Reaction score
Actually most teams rarely take the full 15 mins; it's more like 7-11 mins unless trade talks ongoing. Also some of the earlier drafting teams know exactly who they want, aren't interested in trading with anyone & select their player with a minimum of fuss. Count me as one of those who will sit glued to the TV to see what player goes to which team & which (if any) team does the totally unexpected either by trade, pick or a real reach. I like the excitement of anticipating who Cowboys will take depending on what players still on the board. I expect the Cowboys to actually pick about 2 1/2 into the draft.

SouthernStar

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
The 1st round is 15 mins between picks isn't it, and the draft starts at 11 est? So that means Dallas' pick could be 4 - 4 1/2 hours deep into the draft if they stand pat?
The first pick will be immediate, and the next 3 or 4 will go very fast. Then things will slow down. Take an hour OFF of your estimate.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:

I think I'll just do as I always do, watch the first hour or so, then check in every hour while I do my normal chores/errands.
The draft starts at Noon est which is 11 in Big D. the NFL network will have a pre draft special on at 11 est.

I agree it will be a long day but I think we may have a few surprises this year. I wouldn't mind seeing us trade our 18 for someones second and fourth this year nad their first next year. Hopefully it will be a sucky team like the texans so we can have a good DP next year along with our pick.

Reaction score
kobe2jail said:
No way man. The draft is the absolute best. I can watch it all day without ever getting up. I find it one of the most exciting days in all of sports. But I see what you're saying. Everyone at work makes fun of me for it, but I think its better than Superbowl Sunday (provided dallas isn't it in)

I hear ya friend. Everyone's different, and I don't fault anyone for their preferences.

There are plenty of things I do that my wife or friends go, "***" at. Like spending 6-8 hours in the kitchen, working on a new recipe, or simply wandering around our property for hours on end, with a dog on one side, and a pistol strapped to my leg, basicly kickin' cow-patties and looking for something to "draw down" on. :laugh2:

Reaction score
SouthernStar said:
The first pick will be immediate, and the next 3 or 4 will go very fast. Then things will slow down. Take an hour OFF of your estimate.

I'll bet you $$$'s to doughnuts I'm closer to right than your "hour off" estimate.

Last year, Dallas was ACTUALLY almost 30-mins BEHIND the projected time. Trust me, I did the projections well ahead of time as I was out shopping for washer/dryers w/ the wife.

I remember distinctly looking at my watch, going, "GET ON WITH IT, ya slow SOB's!!!" :laugh2:

2much2soon

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
There are plenty of things I do that my wife or friends go, "***" at. Like spending 6-8 hours in the kitchen, working on a new recipe, or simply wandering around our property for hours on end, with a dog on one side, and a pistol strapped to my leg, basicly kickin' cow-patties and looking for something to "draw down" on. :laugh2:

sounds like life in Eastern Oregon

bford24

Reaction score
It does suck when the top team knows who they want but still wait 15 minutes. I think it was a few years ago that it happened with Carson Palmer. He was signed right before the draft and they still waited the whole time.

I am so excited for the draft, it is a great time.

ddh33

Reaction score
I think you're exactly right. If someone unexpectedly falls, then I'm sure Dallas will feel comfortable staying right where they are and making the selection. I do think they will be hoping for trade down options though.

rkstevens

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
I'll bet you $$$'s to doughnuts I'm closer to right than your "hour off" estimate.

Last year, Dallas was ACTUALLY almost 30-mins BEHIND the projected time. Trust me, I did the projections well ahead of time as I was out shopping for washer/dryers w/ the wife.

I remember distinctly looking at my watch, going, "GET ON WITH IT, ya slow SOB's!!!" :laugh2:
Yeah, it seems like teams still take the full 15 minutes even if it's a no brainer pick. Plus, don't forget that they have 15 minutes to pick or work a trade, and if they make a trade, the new team gets a full 15 minutes.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
ddh33 said:
If someone unexpectedly falls, then I'm sure Dallas will feel comfortable staying right where they are and making the selection. I do think they will be hoping for trade down options though.

Jimmy Williams is the one guy I think could drop a bit on draft day. It's hard to imagine there being a better player on the board at 18 than Williams if he's still available. Take BPA?? Trade down???

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
HAHAHA this is the exact reason why me and buds are having a "get drunk at 9 am draft party" We got a skins fan im the cboys fan a rams fan and 4 pats fans. the crap talking alone will make the time fly:laugh1:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
rkstevens said:
Yeah, it seems like teams still take the full 15 minutes even if it's a no brainer pick. Plus, don't forget that they have 15 minutes to pick or work a trade, and if they make a trade, the new team gets a full 15 minutes.
I don't think that's correct...if one team is down to 4 minutes left when a trade is made, the team that took their draft slot still has to make the pick in that last 4 minutes...they don't start the 15 minutes over from the time of the deal.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasCowpoke said:

Yes it can be a drag but it is fun as well IMO.

Only thing for me that sucks about it is watching it all day, plus listening online, and into the night talking about the picks and such.

With all of that going on I have silly goofy dreams of the draft all night.:laugh1:

Rockytop6

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
I hear ya friend. Everyone's different, and I don't fault anyone for their preferences.

Sounds like the life of Riley to me.