Expecting big things from Canty, Spears, and Ware

Avenging Hayseed

Interwebs fooseball expert
Reaction score
Really excited about the prospects of our young defense next year. Look for Spears to be a big tie em up kinda guy who eats blocks and holds the point. Ware, I think the sky is the limit with him. Really wanna see something from Burnett. But CANTY, I saw something in him last year that REALLY impressed me. The guy can flat out be a tackle machine which is no small feat playing D.L in a 3-4. The dude otta be called the COBRA with the way he plays. At 6-7 with a huge wingspan he plays pretty compact for a man of his length. Its almost like he baits the R.B/Q.B in. His compact style makes it look as if there is no way for him to get to the ballcarrier, then, like a cobra he uncoils that 6-7 with the long reach and he THERE to make the tackle. Think that explains some of the HUGE tackle numbers he put up playing the 3-4 at Virginia.

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
He just has a way of making himself look small "compact" till the last second. Not easy at 6-7....LOL

sago1

Reaction score
Also think he will be helped a lot by having Pasquolli (sp?) coaching LBs & even Kitchens (or is it the other new coach?) coaching inside LBs. Guys whose expertise are LBs & they should coach LBs. Same goes for other positions. Also, never understood why Zimmer had any other responsibility beyond DC.

ghst187

Reaction score
I think someone who will surprise again next year is Ratliff. The guy actually plays a little bit like Canty and has an incredible motor and hunger. I like the attitude he plays with, same for Pepper Johnson. I'm not sure where Pepper fits in right now though...maybe takes over for Glover in the nickel?

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I think someone who will surprise again next year is Ratliff. The guy actually plays a little bit like Canty and has an incredible motor and hunger. I like the attitude he plays with, same for Pepper Johnson. I'm not sure where Pepper fits in right now though...maybe takes over for Glover in the nickel?
....I noticed that right off with Ratliff. He's got a motor. Think he's gonna be a nice role player for years to come. Shame he got injured last year because he seemed to be progressing nicely...

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
And I STILL dont care what anybody says LOL, im ALL FOR drafting Carpenter and playing him inside next to these other young up and comers. Think he FITS like a glove. The guy is 6-3 255. You cant look at where Carpenter IS NOW, gotta see him as what he will be 2-3 years down the road or so. I see him ending up a little over 260, To me that looks like INSIDE backer even in the 3-4. Dont want him covering R.B's on the outside but I do want him headhunting in the middle. Man you stick him next to Brady with Burnett and Ware on the outside and I think we have something. Everything Ive read on Carpenter suggests he's nothing if not versatile. Think he can easily make the switch INSIDE. In fact he already does have a LITTLE experience there, although not much. Think he has a high football IQ too, something needed on the inside.

ghst187

Reaction score
Avenging Hayseed said:
And I STILL dont care what anybody says LOL, im ALL FOR drafting Carpenter and playing him inside next to these other young up and comers. Think he FITS like a glove. The guy is 6-3 255. You cant look at where Carpenter IS NOW, gotta see him as what he will be 2-3 years down the road or so. I see him ending up a little over 260, To me that looks like INSIDE backer even in the 3-4. Dont want him covering R.B's on the outside but I do want him headhunting in the middle. Man you stick him next to Brady with Burnett and Ware on the outside and I think we have something. Everything Ive read on Carpenter suggests he's nothing if not versatile. Think he can easily make the switch INSIDE. In fact he already does have a LITTLE experience there, although not much. Think he has a high football IQ too, something needed on the inside.

I agree with all of this and esp the last line.
In an ideal scenario, we'd trade down 4 or 5 spots and are still able to take Carpenter in the first. I don't see any other player out there, even in FA, that fits the ILB position so well as Carpenter would. 3-4 OLBs aren't all that difficult to find and I'd like to cut Singleton and grab Ayodele from Jax. We get younger, bigger, and more talented in a few quick swipes of JJ's pen.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
The play that really opened my eyes about Canty was one he made vs the Broncos....he did a super "swim" move and went directly to the QB....It's not the kind of move one would expect from a player this young...and it was done to perfection.

Given his size, for a moment I had a Too Tall Jones flashback.

burmafrd

Reaction score
the next charactor that mentions a sophomore slump will be SHOT DEAD.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Hope you got your will made out- there is a 45-70 coming your way!!!

burmafrd

Reaction score
It is almost scary the young talent we have on the line now. Canty, Spears, Ratlief. Johnson might be good as well. We really are in great shape there.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
The play that really opened my eyes about Canty was one he made vs the Broncos....he did a super "swim" move and went directly to the QB....It's not the kind of move one would expect from a player this young...and it was done to perfection.

Given his size, for a moment I had a Too Tall Jones flashback.

Oh, if only! :pray2:

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
i think the 06-07 season we will see Crayton break into the starting receiving group...just dont know whos gonna lose their pos

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Hey I'm a pessimist its what I do.
I get annoyed with all of the optimism this time of year.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I agree with all of this and esp the last line.
In an ideal scenario, we'd trade down 4 or 5 spots and are still able to take Carpenter in the first. I don't see any other player out there, even in FA, that fits the ILB position so well as Carpenter would. 3-4 OLBs aren't all that difficult to find and I'd like to cut Singleton and grab Ayodele from Jax. We get younger, bigger, and more talented in a few quick swipes of JJ's pen.

Dude... Trade our #18 for both of Denver's first round picks... Then we'd have pick nos. 22 and 29...

If Denver doesn't want to give up the other first for gaining 4 spots... then we can trade Glover for their third or a fourth round pick... That would give Dallas at least another first day pick or another beginning of the last day's draft pick... Glover would absolutley set the Broncos new D-line on fire, while giving Dallas some much needed drafting flexibility.