CFZ Extensions in the next two years

Blitzen

Reaction score
There are going to be some extensions in the next two years that need to happen this off-season instead of next offseason. If the Cowboys want to sign long term extensions to their best young players, this would probably be the best year to produce good cap relief in future years. Cap is supposedly going way up next year but not sure of the amount. You could probably sign Ceedee and Diggs to large back loaded contracts now to push the deals way into their prime years. I would say that Ceedee is currently more important, but guys that intercept the ball as much as Diggs are very rare.

I’m more in favor of paying for better trench warfare players overall. Instead of giving Diggs a big payday, I would rather give Daron Payne a big deal. Instead of giving Dalton Schultz a big payday, I would rather package some high picks for Laremy Tunsil and sign him to a massive extension.

Tyron Smith is a strange situation because I’m not sure what his thoughts are regarding playing the next few years. It would give some clarity on whether to attempt trade or extend or just cut.

Tony Pollard’s injury makes a deal impossible to negotiate, and unless it’s for like 8mil power and only like 16 mil guaranteed, I would not resign him either way. LVE injury history means that any offer would need to have very small guaranteed cash.

Dak likely gets extended for cap relief (puke). Either way, the team moves forward with a highly paid guy that needs tons of help from other offensive players to get past the divisional round.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember with the new NFL ST contract being in place now. So the salary cap will go up, probably more than usual over the next few years
They have not announced the cap increase for this year, not that I seen.

I see different amounts on how much under the cap we are. The last was around $7 million. Not sure if that was taking in the projected increase, or from 2022 cap amount.
Also the Amazon deal, not sure if it was included in the 2022 cap amount either, and the revenue from the new NFL app, if that is part of the revenue deal.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Remember with the new NFL ST contract being in place now. So the salary cap will go up, probably more than usual over the next few years

I see different amounts on how much under the cap we are. The last was around $7 million. Not sure if that was taking in the projected increase, or from 2022 cap amount.
Also the Amazon deal, not sure if it was included in the 2022 cap amount either, and the revenue from the new NFL app, if that is part of the revenue deal.
Sportrac and Overthecap have us overspent - $7 or $9m based on $225m Cap and taking into account draft signings (Sportrac has the Cap increasing in 2024 up to $256m).

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sportrac and Overthecap have us overspent - $7 or $9m based on $225m Cap and taking into account draft signings (Sportrac has the Cap increasing in 2024 up to $256m).
Thanks. I was going to go look it up, but have not taken the time to do so yet.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There are going to be some extensions in the next two years that need to happen this off-season instead of next offseason. If the Cowboys want to sign long term extensions to their best young players, this would probably be the best year to produce good cap relief in future years. Cap is supposedly going way up next year but not sure of the amount. You could probably sign Ceedee and Diggs to large back loaded contracts now to push the deals way into their prime years. I would say that Ceedee is currently more important, but guys that intercept the ball as much as Diggs are very rare.

I’m more in favor of paying for better trench warfare players overall. Instead of giving Diggs a big payday, I would rather give Daron Payne a big deal. Instead of giving Dalton Schultz a big payday, I would rather package some high picks for Laremy Tunsil and sign him to a massive extension.

Tyron Smith is a strange situation because I’m not sure what his thoughts are regarding playing the next few years. It would give some clarity on whether to attempt trade or extend or just cut.

Tony Pollard’s injury makes a deal impossible to negotiate, and unless it’s for like 8mil power and only like 16 mil guaranteed, I would not resign him either way. LVE injury history means that any offer would need to have very small guaranteed cash.

Dak likely gets extended for cap relief (puke). Either way, the team moves forward with a highly paid guy that needs tons of help from other offensive players to get past the divisional round.
I just bumped the 2023 cap space to 61M with 5 restructures and by cutting Zeke.

Creeper

Reaction score
The problem with extending players before their contracts are up is they may not want to. And I don't blame them. A player like Diggs, for example, might want to hit the open market and see what the highest bid is.

I think the Cowboys will extend Dak. I don't think they have a choice. They cannot have him play the 2023 season with a near $50 million CAP hit. They are already over the CAP and they need CAP relief so Dak is the most logical place to go unless Jerry is willing to take a year off to absorb the pain. But don't be surprised if Dak gets another 4 years added to his contract for $45 to $50 million a year.

Judging from the way the Cowboys cut some coaches this year I think we could see some big moves with the roster too. Zeke and Tyron may both be gone, although I think Zeke will do something with his deal to try to stay. Tyron has one year left on his contract so he maybe be willing to do a restructure, add a year or two onto his deal and lower his CAP as well. But I would not be shocked if Tyron is a June 1 cut. I don't know if they will sign LVE either. He may have played himself into a contract too big for Jerry and Stephen. They may bet on Damone Clark in 2023. We may see Jabril Cox, Damone Clark and Micah Parsons at LB next year. I wish we had seen more of Cox in 2022 but I think he has good potential. Good LBs can be found in the middle rounds. Fred Warner was a 3rd round pick. Coincidentally, he is the same size as Cox, 6'3" 230 lbs (Cox is listed at 233). Who did Cox remind you of when he raced across the field to stop Danielle Jones from scoring, knocking him out in the process? I know it is one play but that's why I wanted to see more.

I don't think the Cowboys will sign TY Hilton. I could be wrong. I do think they will try to re-sign Donovan Wilson. I do think they will try to re-sign Carlos Watkins, and I don't think they will re-sign Dante Fowler.

The Cowboys will expect bigger years from Damone Clark, Jabril Cox, Bohanna, Tolbert, Sam Williams, and Israel Mukuamu.

Flamma

Reaction score
The problem with extending players before their contracts are up is they may not want to. And I don't blame them. A player like Diggs, for example, might want to hit the open market and see what the highest bid is.

I think the Cowboys will extend Dak. I don't think they have a choice. They cannot have him play the 2023 season with a near $50 million CAP hit. They are already over the CAP and they need CAP relief so Dak is the most logical place to go unless Jerry is willing to take a year off to absorb the pain. But don't be surprised if Dak gets another 4 years added to his contract for $45 to $50 million a year.
I agree with the 2nd part. Not sure how they manage with Dak at 49M cap hit. But besides Lamar Jackson, players seem to prefer an extension after 3 years. It's a ton of guaranteed money and a signing bonus up front. What you're saying is probably more likely for 3rd contracts.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Dak will likely not want just a 4 year deal this time, he’ll want the 5-6 year deal this time around…

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak will likely not want just a 4 year deal this time, he’ll want the 5-6 year deal this time around…
Jerry needs to bite the 49 million $ bullet and then cut him pre June 1st, 2024.
If he gets an extension you are all invited to......of course, my condolences to all.

41e026cfeeb80459937742b9bd14d78e--dallas-cowboys.jpg

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
although I think Zeke will do something with his deal to try to stay.
My fear. Not worth it at half the price. If he stays we'll be overpaying him and using up a roster spot that needs to go to young guy. They're just no upside to keeping Zeke at any price. We should be bringing on young guys and see what they've got, instead of watching Zeke get worse for another year.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Jerry needs to bite the 49 million $ bullet and then cut him pre June 1st, 2024.
If he gets an extension you are all invited to......of course, my condolences to all.

41e026cfeeb80459937742b9bd14d78e--dallas-cowboys.jpg
I don’t think it’s possible that we can take a $49 million hit this year… we wouldn’t be able to resign any of our free agents

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Judging from the way the Cowboys cut some coaches this year I think we could see some big moves with the roster too. Zeke and Tyron may both be gone, although I think Zeke will do something with his deal to try to stay. Tyron has one year left on his contract so he maybe be willing to do a restructure, add a year or two onto his deal and lower his CAP as well. But I would not be shocked if Tyron is a June 1 cut. I don't know if they will sign LVE either. He may have played himself into a contract too big for Jerry and Stephen. They may bet on Damone Clark in 2023. We may see Jabril Cox, Damone Clark and Micah Parsons at LB next year. I wish we had seen more of Cox in 2022 but I think he has good potential. Good LBs can be found in the middle rounds. Fred Warner was a 3rd round pick. Coincidentally, he is the same size as Cox, 6'3" 230 lbs (Cox is listed at 233). Who did Cox remind you of when he raced across the field to stop Danielle Jones from scoring, knocking him out in the process? I know it is one play but that's why I wanted to see more.

I don't think the Cowboys will sign TY Hilton. I could be wrong. I do think they will try to re-sign Donovan Wilson. I do think they will try to re-sign Carlos Watkins, and I don't think they will re-sign Dante Fowler.

The Cowboys will expect bigger years from Damone Clark, Jabril Cox, Bohanna, Tolbert, Sam Williams, and Israel Mukuamu.
No need to extend Dak, just move base salary into 2026 void year.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think it’s possible that we can take a $49 million hit this year… we wouldn’t be able to resign any of our free agents
Irrelevant as even with them we are going nowhere if we make the playoffs next season.
Remember nothing great has come without sacrifice and good GMs face their mistakes bite the bullet and build for a better tomorrow.
What have we accomplished by being good to our guys over the past 28 years?
NOTHING.
P.S. Eagles (Dished Wentz) are now headed to another SB.......hows that make you feel my Cowboy brother?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would not even entertain the thought of a Diggs extension and not for some foolish fan rant about his run support. I'm not paying any cornerback that kind of money unless he's generational which Diggs is not.

Smell ya later, dawg. Take your annoying son with you.

Mannix

Reaction score

Pollard needs to NOT be back....sorry, but the aftermath of Gallup needs to NEVER happen again.