CFZ Extensions in the next two years

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would not even entertain the thought of a Diggs extension and not for some foolish fan rant about his run support. I'm not paying any cornerback that kind of money unless he's generational which Diggs is not.

Smell ya later, dawg. Take your annoying son with you.
You are correct but dumb and dumber will make him the highest-paid CB in the NFL........

Creeper

Reaction score
No need to extend Dak, just move base salary into 2026 void year.
They can't push it all into 2026. They can convert it to bonus and spread it out of the next 3 years but that would mean jacking up his CAP number in 2024, and risking up to $40 million in dead money in 2025.

If Dak leaves in 2025 they would be so screwed on the CAP it would be a disaster. And, they have to pay Parsons in 2025 or 2026 if they pick up his option year. How much will Parsons get in a new deal?

The only way out of the Dak CAP mess is to extend his deal beyond 2026, possibly to 2028 and convert his salary to bonus over the next two years.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Laremy Tunsil wants to be the highest paid offensive lineman in the NFL. He's damn good but for that reason I would pass.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Sign CeeDee trade Diggs.
I agree, CD is a must. Diggs I thought was too, but think otherwise now. I hope Jerry doesn't sign Diggs to a long term contract for too much money based on all those picks in 2021 - but thats the kind of thing he does. We don't need another D-Law contract to go with Daks. I like D-Law, I like him on this defense and nobody showed up more than he did against the Niners - but he isn't worth the money he's being paid. Once again Jerry overpaid because of one big year. Need to avoid that mistake with Diggs.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
They can't push it all into 2026. They can convert it to bonus and spread it out of the next 3 years but that would mean jacking up his CAP number in 2024, and risking up to $40 million in dead money in 2025.

If Dak leaves in 2025 they would be so screwed on the CAP it would be a disaster. And, they have to pay Parsons in 2025 or 2026 if they pick up his option year. How much will Parsons get in a new deal?

The only way out of the Dak CAP mess is to extend his deal beyond 2026, possibly to 2028 and convert his salary to bonus over the next two years.
I thought you could allocate bonus into just one Void year, either way if it has to be spread 2023/4/5/6 it's preferable than adding guaranteed money in 2025/26 and beyond.

Because of what we did this year and biting the CAP bullet (by accident/more than design, thanks to Gregory), 2023 is potentially the last CAP HELL, I dont think you can throw that away gambling on Dak.

Dak can realistically be cut (post June 1st) 2024 saving $34m, on top of the existing $80m. Micah's money wont kick until 2025, and probably 2026 as it'll be paid as bonus.

mardwin

Reaction score
The problem with extending players before their contracts are up is they may not want to. And I don't blame them. A player like Diggs, for example, might want to hit the open market and see what the highest bid is.

I think the Cowboys will extend Dak. I don't think they have a choice. They cannot have him play the 2023 season with a near $50 million CAP hit. They are already over the CAP and they need CAP relief so Dak is the most logical place to go unless Jerry is willing to take a year off to absorb the pain. But don't be surprised if Dak gets another 4 years added to his contract for $45 to $50 million a year.

Judging from the way the Cowboys cut some coaches this year I think we could see some big moves with the roster too. Zeke and Tyron may both be gone, although I think Zeke will do something with his deal to try to stay. Tyron has one year left on his contract so he maybe be willing to do a restructure, add a year or two onto his deal and lower his CAP as well. But I would not be shocked if Tyron is a June 1 cut. I don't know if they will sign LVE either. He may have played himself into a contract too big for Jerry and Stephen. They may bet on Damone Clark in 2023. We may see Jabril Cox, Damone Clark and Micah Parsons at LB next year. I wish we had seen more of Cox in 2022 but I think he has good potential. Good LBs can be found in the middle rounds. Fred Warner was a 3rd round pick. Coincidentally, he is the same size as Cox, 6'3" 230 lbs (Cox is listed at 233). Who did Cox remind you of when he raced across the field to stop Danielle Jones from scoring, knocking him out in the process? I know it is one play but that's why I wanted to see more.

I don't think the Cowboys will sign TY Hilton. I could be wrong. I do think they will try to re-sign Donovan Wilson. I do think they will try to re-sign Carlos Watkins, and I don't think they will re-sign Dante Fowler.

The Cowboys will expect bigger years from Damone Clark, Jabril Cox, Bohanna, Tolbert, Sam Williams, and Israel Mukuamu.
That pretty much cements the next few years as more of the same. They just keep kicking the can down the road. Dak should now be seen as the short term stop gap for the next guy.