Video: Ezekiel Elliott Not The No. 1 Running Back Yet | First Take | June 27, 2017

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Some of those who like to choose others over Elliott ignore that fact that he led the league as a mere rookie and that he's only going to improve. If Zeke's leading the NFL in rushing isn't enough, then perhaps some of us are really hard to please. But this is just the beginning, folks!

We can also look forward to seeing that his receiving stats are due to increase this year -- it's a given. The staff is highly intent upon passing the ball to Zeke more generously this year. They'll get him the ball in the open field to take full advantage of his elusive traits. It's already been set up for that to be a high priority in training camp. If that doesn't give our opponents' DCs nightmares, I don't know what will.

Anyway, congrats to all those other RBs out there who are playing great as well. Regardless, give me Zeke Elliott any day and I'll never look back.

Last edited:

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score

I think Zeke is number 1, but I'm biased lol

Don't know where they got the 15 game thing, Johnson started 16 games although maybe they are trying to say he didn't play much in one of them.

Not like I'm that familiar with the Cards.

Pants

Reaction score
Any of these better RBs are only going to be as good as the scheme that they are in and how they are used...Zeke is the full package, and I have no doubt that they could have him catch 80 passes if they wanted to check down A LOT more than they do now...but, I can see less focus on the passing game for Zeke (not more) with the receivers Dallas has, including our shiny new slot guy, Mr Switzer and their propensity to always have Witten on the field...they are going to use a receiver more than Zeke when a pass is being called

Proof

Reaction score
It doesn't matter to me if Zeke gets 2 catches or 8 catches a game if we win. Just because he gets less catches than a running back in a different system doesn't mean anything.

Just because a player gets more targets doesn't mean they're the better player...or receiver. As I stated, Dallas doesn't pass the ball much and they have a lot of players competing in the intermediate passing game. If Cole Beasley was the the slot receiver for the Cardinals...would Johnson have as many catches? If Carson Palmer threw the ball 140 times less a season..would Johnson have as many catches? I believe Zeke is more valuable to his team...I don't believe we win more than 8 games without him last season.

Regardless....Johnson wasn't in this conversation after his rookie season. That speaks to how valuable Zeke is. He can do everything on the field...with Dunbar off the team, you will see that soon.

I love zeke but every point in this post is incorrect lol.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Well Zeke is three years younger than Bell and Johnson which is most important when you're talking about great backs. I love what we have and could not care less about rankings honestly.

Remember #21 will be more effective in the passing game this year.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I'm a huge Zeke fan and would NOT trade him for any RB/WR in the league.

But loyalty to Zeke aside, I think Johnson is the best offensive player in the league.The only thing i'm not sure about is how well he blocks.

negativecreep

Reaction score
Omg SAS, for the love of all that is holy SHUT UP! Not football season, we know you hate our fan base, we know you like to yell and use big words and who am I to stop you? Just give me a break and go after baseball or something until week 1.

FiveTime

Reaction score
I'm a huge Zeke fan and would NOT trade him for any RB/WR in the league.

But loyalty to Zeke aside, I think Johnson is the best offensive player in the league.The only thing i'm not sure about is how well he blocks.

I wouldn't trade Zeke for any other back in the NFL. That being said, I really wanted Dallas to draft Johnson. The only reason I knew about him is because I'm from Iowa and my wife and I are big Hawkeye fans. In Johnson's senior season he just tore up the Iowa defense. IIRC, it was mostly receiving yards and his rushing yards were pretty low...I think he might have had 200+ all purpose yards in that game. Iowa recruited him but wanted him as a linebacker. UNI told him he could play RB so he went there...turned out pretty well for him.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Those are the opinions of ex-spurts

I wonder what the players' opinions are? That's what really counts.

:thumbup:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Is this some kind of sick joke?

Zeke averaged 5.1 yards a carry, Johnson averaged 4.2. So you are better if you average almost a full yard less per carry?

I looked for Johnson's 83 yard TD reception but that seems to be missing.

They have the same average yards per reception. So, because their quarterback had to check off to his RB every other passing play that means that Johnson is a better receiver? Catching 67% of the passes thrown your way is now better then catching 82% of them?

I'm confused.

Raw statistic

Do you think Johnson couldn't average 4 ypc behind the Cowboys line?