FA players want no parts of Dallas

Wood

Reaction score
For the price that some of these FA are signing (Long, Carroll, Moore) - one thing is becoming crystal clear. FA players are avoiding signing with Cowboys. I believe part of it is Cowboys now have a "cheap" reputation with FA players. Its something I don't think Jerry & Co. anticipated as they set their off-season plans.

Now Cowboys are desperate and I mean really desperate for pass rush help. Bosa is more of DE than pass rusher. You hate to box yourself into corner but Dallas has managed to do it again (same as RB last year). The player I see Dallas going for is Lawson but that would have to be trade back.

Just disgusted.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
That's not the case. We just don't want players at inflates rates.

For instance Lamar was shown to be a huge Cowboys fan and wanted to come here.

But money talks.

You shouldn't be disgusted. You should be happy this team isn't in the business of overpaying free agents they don't know.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
I dont think this is the case at all, if Jerry wants someone he will get them. I would just bet other teams were willing to pay a little more. To be honest the fas we passed on probably werent worth it anyway.

Sydla

Reaction score

But money talks.

You shouldn't be disgusted. You should be happy this team isn't in the business of overpaying free agents they don't know.

Except some of these guys aren't getting overpaid.

Dallas seems to be particularly low balling guys this year.

visionary

Reaction score
For the price that some of these FA are signing (Long, Carroll, Moore) - one thing is becoming crystal clear. FA players are avoiding signing with Cowboys. I believe part of it is Cowboys now have a "cheap" reputation with FA players. Its something I don't think Jerry & Co. anticipated as they set their off-season plans.

Now Cowboys are desperate and I mean really desperate for pass rush help. Bosa is more of DE than pass rusher. You hate to box yourself into corner but Dallas has managed to do it again (same as RB last year). The player I see Dallas going for is Lawson but that would have to be trade back.

Just disgusted.

Not disgusting
You have a GM who had no idea how to build a team
You have a HC that can't coach

And we're surprised? Lol

Wood

Reaction score

But money talks.

but those are not inflated prices

Long - 1 year for $3 mill (up to $4 million if he hits incentives)
Carroll - $2 million
Moore - $2.6 million

Sorry I just don't see the over-pay there. I really didn't want Moore but this is more to point that players don't see Dallas as desirable destination. They are just signing 1 year deals which tells me they are not committed to teams they resigned with but didn't see Dallas as better alternative. Thats a concern.

robjay04

Reaction score
Who cares? When a guy who averaged a half a sack a game for his career becomes the highest paid defensive end in football, it shows how weak the market is. Dallas doesn't want no part of paying the most for average players and I can't blame them. Making a pro bowl has become a joke in this league but players who are not even good enough to be named 5th or 6th alternates to a pro bowl are being paid like superstars.

Greg Hardy is a better football player than Vernon and was just as productive for us last year in a per game basis coming off a year layoff. That shows you how weak it is and also goes to show you how much Greg Hardy is kicking himself right now.

These players are not good players that are passing on us, Jeremy Mincey has more sacks the past two years as Long and he didn't even have a sack last year!

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Just disgusted.

They want to beat everyone on salaries and then put up with the rah-rah stuff from Garrett.

He is much more suited for college. His platitudes and coachisms play so much better with teenagers.

He has a backup QB and coaches kid mentality. Too much brain and not enough brawn.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Who cares? When a guy who averaged a half a sack a game for his career becomes the highest paid defensive end in football, it shows how weak the market is. Dallas doesn't want no part of paying the most for average players and I can't blame them. Making a pro bowl has become a joke in this league but players who are not even good enough to be named 5th or 6th alternates to a pro bowl are being paid like superstars.

Greg Hardy is a better football player than Vernon and was just as productive for us last year in a per game basis coming off a year layoff. That shows you how weak it is and also goes to show you how much Greg Hardy is kicking himself right now.

Hardy paid the price of being falsely accused. Everyone just wants to keep kicking him while he's down. He shouldn't show remorse for something he didn't do.

Reaction score

Carroll - $2 million
Moore - $2.6 million

Sorry I just don't see the over-pay there. I really didn't want Moore but this is more to point that players don't see Dallas as desirable destination. They are just signing 1 year deals which tells me they are not committed to teams they resigned with but didn't see Dallas as better alternative. Thats a concern.

Did Dallas even show interest in those players and offer them a deal? Pretty thin,,,

Wood

Reaction score
Did Dallas even show interest in those players and offer them a deal? Pretty thin,,,

absolutely, Long had dinner scheduled for Garrett tonight. Carroll was sitting on Dallas offer for 3 days (he choose philly) and Moore also visited with Cowboys.

Solution

Reaction score
This Bosa hate is becoming infuriating. We could use him just about more than any other team in the league, but nope, hes garbage. Nevermind what the professional scouts say.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Players notice how we treated DMurray, used him up and then cut him loose
Made Hardy jump through hoops just to get paid and called him to the office over hallway infractions
Same with Melton and McClain

We can all sit here and talk about how great it is we don't waste money but that doesn't attract talent

We have 100% of the guys doing the right thing 99% of the time or is it
We have 99% of the guys doing the right thing 100% of the time

That elusive 1%

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

Carroll - $2 million
Moore - $2.6 million

Do you know how the Cowboys valued these players?

What they were willing to offer?

No?

Then you can't draw a sweeping conclusion.

What part of you lack critical information needed to declare that players don't want to come here don't you understand?

ccb04

Reaction score
There are guys I had interest in...that I simply wouldn't have paid the money to.

- Matt Forte: $9 mil guaranteed at 30 y/o...no thanks.
- Olivier Vernon: $85 million with more guaranteed money than JJ Watt? No thanks.
- Never had any love for Long. He'll be a backup to Sheard & Ninkovich with the Pats...which is what he should be at this point. Boys don't have that luxury.

Personally, would rather retain Hardy for at least a year than pay what Vernon got, or bother bringing in Long...even though it may not happen.

Mario Williams was one deal I thought they should've pursued given the parameters of what he signed. But that was AFTER seeing the deal he signed with Miami. In other words...in hindsight. Perhaps Miller as well. But that's about it IMO. And I liked the Thornton signing.

Interestingly, the Pats, Steelers, Panthers, Packers, etc...have also remained low key. Yes, they are all better off than the Boys right now. But staying lower key is often the MO of the consistently better teams.

IMO, regardless of needs...I believe the Boys were smart not jumping into the madness that took place in early free agency given some of the contracts. This coming from a guy that was big on several players, to include Vernon, etc...as mentioned.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Where exactly is the team, with HIll? He arrived, supposedly, yesterday. And now, where is the incoming safety?

We already know that players aren't in any rush to get to Dallas...and this is long termed support planning.

The draft board is chocked full with needs to draft...and very little play around a quarterback as things sit now.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Carroll - $2 million
Moore - $2.6 million

A couple things are probably going on. One, we're definitely only interested in paying on the low-end for the veteran FAs. In the cases you mention here, I agree, those are good value deals. But basically, you've got one veteran guy who's already had a big payday who wanted his best shot at a ring (Long probably wouldn't have gone to ATL if not NE, since he's got relationships with the coaches there, anyway). Dallas is a third-choice in that scenario, unless we want to overpay for the privilege of moving up the list.

The other two guys stayed where they were for one year deals with basically the same money. If we're not offering more years, and we're not offering guaranteed dollars or a higher salary, that makes sense, too. If you've got one year to show your best, stay where you are, don't uproot your family, don't try to learn a new system, and hope for the best.

The only way we start landing these guys is by coughing up dough, and we don't want to cough up dough in FA. We're going to bottom-feed, and try to draft better. That's our MO right now.