FA players want no parts of Dallas

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
absolutely, Long had dinner scheduled for Garrett tonight. Carroll was sitting on Dallas offer for 3 days (he choose philly) and Moore also visited with Cowboys.

And Long never made it for dinner . . . . .

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
For the price that some of these FA are signing (Long, Carroll, Moore) - one thing is becoming crystal clear. FA players are avoiding signing with Cowboys. I believe part of it is Cowboys now have a "cheap" reputation with FA players. Its something I don't think Jerry & Co. anticipated as they set their off-season plans.

Now Cowboys are desperate and I mean really desperate for pass rush help. Bosa is more of DE than pass rusher. You hate to box yourself into corner but Dallas has managed to do it again (same as RB last year). The player I see Dallas going for is Lawson but that would have to be trade back.

Just disgusted.

Agree....

Jerry lowballing players + Coaching fiasco + aging franchise players = Not a good recipe for success:(

Free agents don't wanna go down w/ the Big D Titanic:rolleyes:

This whole idea that 2015 was a fluke o_O....2014 was the fluke....And 2016 isn't gonna get any better. Jerry better start working on his list for new coaches....starting right now...because Parcells or Jimmy ain't coming to save his rear this time.;)

superonyx

Reaction score
but those are not inflated prices

Long - 1 year for $3 mill (up to $4 million if he hits incentives)
Carroll - $2 million
Moore - $2.6 million

Sorry I just don't see the over-pay there. I really didn't want Moore but this is more to point that players don't see Dallas as desirable destination. They are just signing 1 year deals which tells me they are not committed to teams they resigned with but didn't see Dallas as better alternative. Thats a concern.

I can't help but wonder if these guys don't want to come here on 1 year deals because they are thinking about where they could be after this year...we have shown we won't pay veterans...we have also shown that our defense isn't capable of getting either Sacks or Interceptions...we can't get a guy over 8 sacks if our life depended on it. We can't get our CB's a single interception for years. If you were any of these guys why would you come here and be another cog in a wheel of statistically unsuccessful defenses...you would end up a free agent after the year and have no chance to get another contract from anyone.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Cowboys got thornton and fans should be happy about that, it was a key position in need of upgrade.

They have gone cheap on everyone else.
Lets call it the "Murray" treatment, lowball and see if they are dumb enough to sign on.

It makes the draft more important now.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I hate cheap people. Financially responsible is ok, but cheap is terrible. I once sat next to a table of 4 guys who each got soup & salad and 1 drink. The four of them tipped the waitress .25 each for a total of $1.00. Disgusting

The Cowboys should be responsible with the money but not cheap

CCBoy

Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if these guys don't want to come here on 1 year deals because they are thinking about where they could be after this year...we have shown we won't pay veterans...we have also shown that our defense isn't capable of getting either Sacks or Interceptions...we can't get a guy over 8 sacks if our life depended on it. We can't get our CB's a single interception for years. If you were any of these guys why would you come here and be another cog in a wheel of statistically unsuccessful defenses...you would end up a free agent after the year and have no chance to get another contract from anyone.

I think that the players are listening to the vantage of their Agents. And Dallas is sticking to an off season budget, while looking at the expense that a terrific offensive line will cost into the future...myself.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I hate cheap people. Financially responsible is ok, but cheap is terrible. I once sat next to a table of 4 guys who each got soup & salad and 1 drink. The four of them tipped the waitress .25 each for a total of $1.00. Disgusting

Cheap? With what Dallas has paid for players who have been loyal and accomplished for the team. What do you think brought about the collapse of the Dynasty? Poor coaching, Jerry...or cap hell from being loyal to those who took the team to the 'Dance?' And a ton of career ending injuries, that left immeasurable Dead Money. The change from just an offensive line after the lockout, took Dallas five seasons to fully overcome.

Naw, Jerry has always paid his players...but now, and a decision by the GM and owner, to not overpay during free agency is a good team development goal. When one needs a single player...then he brings out the check book. This isn't a popularity contest...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Agree....

Jerry lowballing players + Coaching fiasco + aging franchise players = Not a good recipe for success:(

Free agents don't wanna go down w/ the Big D Titanic:rolleyes:

This whole idea that 2015 was a fluke o_O....2014 was the fluke....And 2016 isn't gonna get any better. Jerry better start working on his list for new coaches....starting right now...because Parcells or Jimmy ain't coming to save his rear this time.;)

Jerry rants are in another part of this site...

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Cheap? With what Dallas has paid for players who have been loyal and accomplished for the team. What do you think brought about the collapse of the Dynasty? Poor coaching, Jerry...or cap hell from being loyal to those who took the team to the 'Dance?' And a ton of career ending injuries, that left immeasurable Dead Money. The change from just an offensive line after the lockout, took Dallas five seasons to fully overcome.

Naw, Jerry has always paid his players...but now, and a decision by the GM and owner, to not overpay during free agency is a good team development goal. When one needs a single player...then he brings out the check book. This isn't a popularity contest...

We missed on some players who weren't " overpaid". Mario signed a fair deal, Chris long was cheap at 2 mill. There are others. Don't overpay but you shouldn't lowball either.

The collapse of the dynasty was due to the salary cap being instituted, coupled with jimmy leaving, other teams raiding our players, and some injuries. I like Jerry and I think he is loyal to his players.

CCBoy

Reaction score
We missed on some players who weren't " overpaid". Mario signed a fair deal, Chris long was cheap at 2 mill. There are others. Don't overpay but you shouldn't lowball either.

The collapse of the dynasty was due to the salary cap being instituted, coupled with jimmy leaving, other teams raiding our players, and some injuries. I like Jerry and I think he is loyal to his players.

Mario wasn't the right stage in his own career for that high of a cap hit. Simple as that...not cheap.

Jerry financed the new AT&T stadium during a National financial crisis. And made it the top of sporting venues.

As to Jimmy, that excuse was worn out about the time that Jimma' arrived in Miami as a 'saint' and just didn't succeed with full power and blessings.

superonyx

Reaction score

I agree about not overpaying aging players or players that have not proven to be worth the money. The Giants did that with that DE this offseason who has never had many sacks.

However we let some quality depth sign with other teams for relatively cheap contracts. I don't want to see them create a future cap problem chasing average talent. But some of these second day free agents signed for decently low short term deals. Also if we don't fill it some weaknesses or holes with vets then we may be putting ourselves in position to reach for players in the draft that fill a need. Best player available will become the best player available at our needed position.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I agree about not overpaying aging players or players that have not proven to be worth the money. The Giants did that with that DE this offseason who has never had many sacks.

However we let some quality depth sign with other teams for relatively cheap contracts. I don't want to see them create a future cap problem chasing average talent. But some of these second day free agents signed for decently low short term deals. Also if we don't fill it some weaknesses or holes with vets then we may be putting ourselves in position to reach for players in the draft that fill a need. Best player available will become the best player available at our needed position.

The numbers need out ran the high end contracts for this off season. Dallas was losing a high number of veterans that all needed replacing. The economics of a future picture outweighed immediate need, without a structured limit line for considerations. There was a limit to how much Dallas is currently willing to fork out. New England regularly signs players just outside the current year's Dallas figure. But their system is built upon a strong influx of such veterans. Dallas is heading towards a strong drafted nucleus.

But here, Dallas is building the old Dallas way...of developing good football players that also show some team loyalties as well. The current group is actually pretty young, and they will grow more strongly together. Another year or two and the Dallas offensive line should be nothing but dominant. Their defense is headed in the same directions, and with youth as well.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

GB developed their strategy because they never had the cash. They had to draft well and avoid FA.

DAL earns over 500m in revenues and has a net profit in the 100s of millions.

They shouldn't be cheap.