Failing to succeed

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you ever get the chance to read the story of Milton Hershey, the founder of Hershey's (what a coincidence), it is an amazing story of failing to succeed. His credo was "I haven't failed, I've just found a lot of ways it won't succeed" borrowing from Thomas Edison.

We've all been witnesses to "The Education Of Booger Jones" as he's made mistake after mistake and repeated some for good measure to arrive at the point where he's not a half bad GM. What's that??? Alert the media for frogs falling from the sky, CC has complimented Booger.

My dislike for Booger has never stemmed from his running the team. It's his and he can do as he pleases and I've mentioned it before, if I owned it, I think I know enough to be just as dangerous as he was. I would hire a GM as a scapegoat that I could fire as a sacrifice to the rabid fans but I would be calling the shots, especially the big shots. And you would too.

My dislike for him stems from his spotlight seeking, inability to speak and his homespun Boogerisms that he thinks are so endearing. I dislike anyone that is in so much love with themselves.

However, in the GM gig, he has shown a lot of improvement by changing out those voices in his ears and has made some good decisions in the draft and FA and if you think that's all on Son, we can save that for another thread because I attribute the change in philosophy to the man making it up. Booger is as much in charge as he has always been and that's OK.

While we rail about the old boy and blame him for everything including putting that goofy smile on Rowdy, let's ask ourselves one question. We hold that playoff record against him but in 2007, 2014 and 2016, did he not assemble a team of players that could have made it to the SB? Those were damned good teams and should have at least made it to the NFC Champs game but that leads us to coaching and that's an entirely different discussion. We can debate Garrett and why he's there but as far as player talent, Booger has not been in the bottom half of team builders.

Like Hershey and Edison, he's learned what doesn't work and also like them, he has a stubborn streak and will run an idea into the ground before giving it up. He thought he didn't need an OL because of Houdini and not only did he reverse that, he built one of the best in the league. He's allowed himself to get rid of players he really liked, Owens and Bryant, to better his team and that is based on listening. He used to be a new year every year GM and seems to be thinking more of the building toward the future and nothing exemplifies that more than the Jaylon Smith pick.

Yes, he's made quite a few bad decisions and he's paid for them. But, I give credit to Booger for learning life's greatest lesson about knowledge. If you don't know it, find someone that does.

I take my shots at him and have fun at his expense but just like I've said about our HC, we could do a lot worse, I feel the same way about GM.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I like the man, myself...and he does have old fashioned guts, work ethics, and tirelessly seeks success. He's loyal to a fault, but not afraid to pull the trigger if he has been insulted or degraded. I respect that in himself. He has always been a player's owner...and had to endure a huge learning curve when he stood up for all franchise team's rights and assumed the yoke of the cap and free agency. He paid dearly for paying players of his dynasty period...and that took close to a decade to work out from under.

Warts and all, I both like and respect the man, Jerry Jones.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the man, myself...and he does have old fashioned guts, work ethics, and tirelessly seeks success. He's loyal to a fault, but not afraid to pull the trigger if he has been insulted or degraded. I respect that in himself. He has always been a player's owner...and had to endure a huge learning curve when he stood up for all franchise team's rights and assumed the yoke of the cap and free agency. He paid dearly for paying players of his dynasty period...and that took close to a decade to work out from under.

Warts and all, I both like and respect the man, Jerry Jones.
I respect what he's done because he was butt deep in alligators when he bought the swamp but I just don't like him or his personality. Hell, only Will Rogers never met a man he didn't like....but he didn't meet Booger.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I respect what he's done because he was butt deep in alligators when he bought the swamp but I just don't like him or his personality. Hell, only Will Rogers never met a man he didn't like....but he didn't meet Booger.

I respect the man who took gambles his whole life, and retained dignity through it. I'll gladly give my respects to his walked path, which like all lives, had ups and downs.

In the oil field, dignity of life was on the surface and fabric of life. He respects sacrifice, which he gave intensely, himself.

Naw, I like the man...he's genuine. He lived a life where a blow - over was intensely felt by an entire state. A fire and a derrick was pure risk with every hole sank into the ground.

He came up with a rough group in Arkansas and in the oil field, both...he came up country, and it showed.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Hes a narcissistic, sociopath who has stolen from us a once storied franchise.

Nothing more than a thief.

Comcerning the product on the field he failed at every turn trying to prove that he could be successful. Topping that off with repeatedly making the same mistakes.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Comcerning the product on the field he failed at every turn trying to prove that he could be successful. Topping that off with repeatedly making the same mistakes.

No, a thief takes from another what was already his...not at all the same as a sports fan. To be blunt...

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
No, a thief takes from another what was already his...not at all the same as a sports fan. To be blunt...
One steals a nickel the other a Cadillac.....a thief is a thief. To be blunt.

And if I choose to pay for an item......it is mine.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Ooooooorrrrrrr, I was thinking of starting the thread with this.

Dre11

Reaction score

This storied franchise was lost before he came, he restored it when he bought it and fired Landry,hired Johnson. What rock were you under?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"We could do a lot worse"... that's called lowering your standards
And your higher standards have gotten you...........? It's not lowering anyone's standards as there aren't any standards involved. Standards denote a level of control or involvement and my only involvement is that of a fan and the only control I have is to remain one or not. I probably have higher standards for a GM and HC but these are the only two I am getting as long as I decide to remain a fan. And I'm pretty good at making lemonade.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This storied franchise was lost before he came, he restored it when he bought it and fired Landry,hired Johnson. What rock were you under?
It is convenient amnesia to forget what this team looked like at the end of the Landry-Schramm-Brandt era that had an exceedingly long run by comparison and had one A player and only because they used a pick when the other league was around and won Walker by default.

Everything has a life and so it was with those three and Landry no longer innovated, coaches like Walsh had picked up where he left off. Other teams were using variations of the Flex, shifting was everywhere and the shotgun was reborn, thanks to him.

He was a great coach at the right time but it passes all of them by eventually and 29 years is 6 lifetimes to coaches today. But even with all of the accolades and love Landry gets, he still only won 2 rings. The Cowboys were overdue for a complete makeover.

CCBoy

Reaction score
One steals a nickel the other a Cadillac.....a thief is a thief. To be blunt.

And if I choose to pay for an item......it is mine.

No, not close, as you invest anticipation and emotion. In theft, a specific item has to be denied...and you still have the means to enjoy. What you supposedly lose, is of your own choice. Not a bargained element of exchange. Your thoughts are your own, and so is the responsibility for how one invests them.

You receive no monetary loss or mental defect by the franchise's actions.

As a fan, appreciation is in your own court. Own it, but don't claim theft...that just doesn't hold substance in law, which you claim unlawful action. Not at all similar....one owns his own disappointment.

Haimerej

Reaction score
My dislike for him stems from his spotlight seeking, inability to speak and his homespun Boogerisms that he thinks are so endearing. I dislike anyone that is in so much love with themselves.

I always suspected much of the criticism stemmed from a personal or even a cultural dislike. I don't think he's dumb or anything but when people hear his voice they tend to think, "hillbilly." For a good chunk of people, those "-isms" actually are endearing, though.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It ‘s weird, because everyone who actually knows the man.....not wannabes who achived <1% of what he has in life, but people who KNOW him.....all seem to love him.

I have issues at times with how he's run things—mainly owner Jerry letting himself be GM.
Though thats not really the case anymore, I get the frustration.
Still, the old guy can take a leak and get rid of more combined business and football knowledge that the vast majority on this site.

The attacks on him personally get old..
Hey...jmo.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always suspected much of the criticism stemmed from a personal or even a cultural dislike. I don't think he's dumb or anything but when people hear his voice they tend to think, "hillbilly." For a good chunk of people, those "-isms" actually are endearing, though.
Booger struggled initially in the Dallas scene with the Highland Parkers with his firing of Landry and his personality and the word that was most used about him was disingenuous. There was something of a used car salesman in his approach and he was also dealing with that Arkansas stereotype that many Texans embrace.....barefoot, ignorant and inbred. How dare this Arkansas hillbilly buy our team, fire our coach and run his mouth all the time. Who does he think he is?

I agree that not everyone dislikes the "-ism's" or him but I don't care what they like, I can't stand to watch him attempt to speak with all the "uhs" and "ums" to hold the floor while he tries to compose a thought and he still screws it up like ********* and some of the more inane things to come out of his mouth.

But I solved that little problem sometime back and I do not watch anything with him in it because he has nothing to say that I want to hear. I don't have to like the owner to like the team and didn't know much about Murchison and what I did know about Bright, I disliked more than Booger.

It comes from the "Doesn't Matter" in the importance file room but as the GM of the team, I do give him credit for failing to succeed and then figuring out how failing could lead to succeeding. He's built a good football team and he's changed his blueprint to get there. Booger's proof that one is never to old to learn.

visionary

Reaction score
If you ever get the chance to read the story of Milton Hershey, the founder of Hershey's (what a coincidence), it is an amazing story of failing to succeed. His credo was "I haven't failed, I've just found a lot of ways it won't succeed" borrowing from Thomas Edison.

We've all been witnesses to "The Education Of Booger Jones" as he's made mistake after mistake and repeated some for good measure to arrive at the point where he's not a half bad GM. What's that??? Alert the media for frogs falling from the sky, CC has complimented Booger.

My dislike for Booger has never stemmed from his running the team. It's his and he can do as he pleases and I've mentioned it before, if I owned it, I think I know enough to be just as dangerous as he was. I would hire a GM as a scapegoat that I could fire as a sacrifice to the rabid fans but I would be calling the shots, especially the big shots. And you would too.

However, in the GM gig, he has shown a lot of improvement by changing out those voices in his ears and has made some good decisions in the draft and FA and if you think that's all on Son, we can save that for another thread because I attribute the change in philosophy to the man making it up. Booger is as much in charge as he has always been and that's OK.

While we rail about the old boy and blame him for everything including putting that goofy smile on Rowdy, let's ask ourselves one question. We hold that playoff record against him but in 2007, 2014 and 2016, did he not assemble a team of players that could have made it to the SB? Those were damned good teams and should have at least made it to the NFC Champs game but that leads us to coaching and that's an entirely different discussion. We can debate Garrett and why he's there but as far as player talent, Booger has not been in the bottom half of team builders.

Like Hershey and Edison, he's learned what doesn't work and also like them, he has a stubborn streak and will run an idea into the ground before giving it up. He thought he didn't need an OL because of Houdini and not only did he reverse that, he built one of the best in the league. He's allowed himself to get rid of players he really liked, Owens and Bryant, to better his team and that is based on listening. He used to be a new year every year GM and seems to be thinking more of the building toward the future and nothing exemplifies that more than the Jaylon Smith pick.

Yes, he's made quite a few bad decisions and he's paid for them. But, I give credit to Booger for learning life's greatest lesson about knowledge. If you don't know it, find someone that does.

I take my shots at him and have fun at his expense but just like I've said about our HC, we could do a lot worse, I feel the same way about GM.

CC, my friend, I'm sorry to disagree but it would be very very very difficult to do worse than this GM and HC