Fairness being raised over divisional alignment

robjgrif

Reaction score
How did we ever loose to the Cardinals?????

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...ug=jc-playoffdebate122408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Fairness being raised over divisional alignment

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports Dec 24, 4:04 pm EST

While cries of unfairness coming from Patriots Nation are likely to fall mostly on deaf ears outside of Massachusetts these days, Sunday’s finales could lead to more questions about the current divisional and playoff formats.
Not only is it possible that the New England Patriots could miss the playoffs at 11-5, but there’s the potential that two of the NFL’s eight division winners will be mediocre 8-8.

1230161142.jpg
The Patriots’ flattening of the Cards ultimately might not matter. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
(US Presswire/David Butler II)​
[/FONT]

The Arizona Cardinals, who didn’t do much more than warm up the team bus on their way to getting waxed 47-7 on Sunday at New England, and the San Diego Chargers, if they beat Denver, will win their respective NFC and AFC West divisions with eight wins. No team has won a division at 8-8 since the Cleveland Browns captured the AFC Central in 1985.
Meanwhile, even if the Patriots beat the Buffalo Bills to reach 11 wins, they’ll miss the playoffs if the Miami Dolphins and Baltimore Ravens win. However, this is about more than the Patriots getting the short end of the stick.
Since the NFL switched to its current eight-division format in 2002, which made the possibility of an 8-8 division winner more likely, three times have teams won their division with only a 9-7 mark. One of those teams, last season’s Buccaneers, went to the playoffs while the Browns sat home with a 10-6 record. This season, there’s a chance that seven teams could finish with better records than two division winners, but not make the postseason.
Still, the reaction from those with the greatest influence is simple: Remain calm.
“This is something we warned the owners that could happen when we switched to this format, so it’s not unexpected,” said Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay, who is also the co-chairman of the NFL competition committee. “The feeling is that this is an aberration, not a sign of some trend … Now, if it were to happen again over the next two or three years, maybe it’s something we look at.”
Likewise, Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian said: “It’s definitely something we anticipated when we went with this eight-division format. This is not a surprise nor is it something we should over-react to … when we proposed this system, this is something the owners ultimately wanted and felt good about.”
Moreover, it’s something that ultimately the owners believe improves interest in the game, even if it’s occasionally frustrating for fans.
Polian knows that well from having grown up as a baseball fan in New York. Until 1969, major league baseball featured a one-division format in each league. The division winner went to the World Series. No playoffs, no wild cards, no anything to keep fans in multiple cities interested to the end.
“At most, you might have three teams competing in a given year,” Polian said. “In the system we have now, you have fans in multiple cities excited right up to the end.”
Going into the final week of the season, there are 11 teams still competing for five spots. In addition, Atlanta and the Carolina Panthers are still battling for the NFC South title, putting 13 teams in play during the final weekend. That puts the final Sunday of the NFL season on par with the first weekend of the NCAA basketball tournament in terms of wide-ranging interest.
Ultimately, more excitement equals more fan interest which equals more money being pumped into the game. The exchange for the almighty dollar is that occasionally some team that seems more deserving might get left out.
New England coach Bill Belichick didn’t seem upset about his team’s predicament, even after a remarkable season by Belichick’s high standards. The Patriots have a chance to go 11-5 despite having 15 players on injured reserve, including 2007 Most Valuable Player Tom Brady.
“Well, that isn’t really anything we have any control over. We just have to do what we can do,” Belichick said Sunday after his team humiliated Arizona. “We would like to be in the playoffs. That’s what we are here for. I think our guys are playing hard, preparing well and they are playing very competitively. But, we are not in it with Arizona at this point. They are in a different conference.”
Would Belichick like to see the format change?
“That is not for me to decide. I have my hands full trying to coach a football team,” he said.
Some of Belichick’s players weren’t so accommodating.
“Typical stuff you see around the NFL,” one Patriot said. “How do you get to go to the playoffs at 8-8 or whatever when other teams win 10 or 11 games and don’t get in?”
Said another: “Doesn’t make much sense to me, but I’m not in charge. I mean, Arizona didn’t even show up [against New England] and when you look at the tape, they haven’t shown up in about a month.”
The Cardinals are in the playoffs despite having lost four of their past five games. In those four losses, Arizona gave up 37, 48, 35 and 47 points. The only win in that span was over 2-13 St. Louis.
Likewise, Denver has had a chance to clinch the AFC West the past two weeks, but lost both and allowed 30 points in each game. In fact, for the season, both Arizona and Denver have been outscored.
Finally, San Diego is in position to win the division despite being 4-8 at one point. At least in the case of the Chargers, they beat the Patriots 30-10 earlier this season.
“At least with them, they can play,” one of the Patriots players said. “I don’t know how the heck they were so bad, but I know they have talent.”

juck

Reaction score
ridiculous that 8-8 teams are in and have a home game to boot.stupid.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
juckie;2524910 said:
ridiculous that 8-8 teams are in and have a home game to boot.stupid.

Be thankful for that, if we play Arizona there - it'll basically be a home game for us.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2525067 said:
Welcome to the dream world that is NFL parity...or is it "parody"?

Amen to that. Parity sucks!!!
Speaking of "alignment", which team is farther away from their divisional foes than the Cowboys? I can't think of one off hand. Every other team in whatever NFC or AFC South, North, East and West is in relative close proximity to their division.
I'm divided on this, because I couldn't imagine life without the Skins, Vagiants and Beagles. But the "away" division games are a hike, especially in December in NY, Washington and Philly. Technically, we should be in a division that looks more like Dallas, Arizona, New Orleans and Houston. THAT would be a guaranteed playoff appearance year in and year out..............

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well considering the source (Pats) for the unfairness calls, I think it's just desserts.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2525088 said:
Well considering the source (Pats) for the unfairness calls, I think it's just desserts.

:laugh2: I don't know if anyone caught it in Belicheat's postgame presser last week, but he took a jab at the NFC when some reporter asked him how he feels about not having control over his destiny, and possibly going 11-5 and missing the playoffs. He said, "we don't play in the NFC".

The last time I checked, the AFC is the only conference that has a sub 0.500 team right now still alive for the playoffs.

links18

Reaction score
Its all relative. A divisional champion at 8-8 may be better than a Wildcard at 11-5 or the other way around. That's why they play the games. You just never know. I could see an 8-8 Chargers team knocking off an 11-5 jets team for example. Strength of schedule within the division, the division from the other conference your division played in a given year are all factors.....

Don Corleone

Reaction score
THUMPER;2525095 said:
The Patriots whining again? Incredible. :eek:

Bunch of damn pansies!

If they miss the playoffs, you can bet your life savings that the NFL will accomodate their desires by changing the playoff seeding rules for next year.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2525097 said:
If they miss the playoffs, you can bet your life savings that the NFL will accomodate their desires by changing the playoff seeding rules for next year.

Are you sure they'd wait til next year?

utrunner07

Reaction score
Ala Bob Stoops, everyone knew the rules going into the season and no one asked for them to be changed then, so deal with it and stop your crying.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Wouldn't this be the first 11 win team to miss the Playoffs?

Oh, if the Cowboys were to miss the Playoffs with 11 wins, the whining and gnashing of teeth would never end.

I like how they stress the importance of winning your division, but is the NFL really putting the best product on the field when an 8-8 team is in the Playoffs and an 11-5 team is at home?

However, how far do you take this? Sometimes one Conference is more dominant than the other, so you have really good teams in one Conference left out and very bad teams in the other Conference in the Playoffs.

BC27

Reaction score
As I stated in my "playoff seedings unfair" thread, I'm more of a purest and believe the best 6 teams from each conference should be in the playoff even if the Cowboys are not included. I believe the 8 divisions we have now are a joke and would as much as I hate it have 8 teams from each conference in the playoff just like the NBA and NHL were even sub .500 teams make the playoffs, if the NFL wants to keep the 8 division format, but if the NFL believes this is the way to go at least seed the teams by records in the playoff, no way should the Cards have home game. The only game they won in the NFC outside of their own division is against the Cowboys. 5-0 against the west division.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2525176 said:

Oh, if the Cowboys were to miss the Playoffs with 11 wins, the whining and gnashing of teeth would never end.

I like how they stress the importance of winning your division, but is the NFL really putting the best product on the field when an 8-8 team is in the Playoffs and an 11-5 team is at home?

However, how far do you take this? Sometimes one Conference is more dominant than the other, so you have really good teams in one Conference left out and very bad teams in the other Conference in the Playoffs.

No, the Broncos went 11-5 in one year and didnt make the playoffs.

I didnt hear Bellicheat complaining the last few years when his division was a joke.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2525176 said:

1985 Broncos missed it. Ironically that was the year Cleveland went 8-8 and won the Central.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Had a couple of games not gone our way last Sunday, could we have been eliminated?

links18

Reaction score
Here's how we lost to the Cardinals:

1. Our special teams totally stunbk and gave up an opening kick-off TD
2. Steve Breaston and Larry Fitzgerald abused Anthony Henry
3. We couldn't score after the Cardinals fumbled a kick off
4. Romo fumbled the ball like 4 times
5. The offensive line was abused all game long
6. Defense gave up a 3rd and 17
7. We decided not to block the rush and got our Pro Bowl punter murdered.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;2525308 said:
Had a couple of games not gone our way last Sunday, could we have been eliminated?
I think the Tampa game was key. I think the Minny game was gravy.