Fans upset about unavailability of Cowboys' games

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
By: Reagan Hackleman

On the field, it's all about football. But when you get off the field, it's all about green, and we're not talking about the grass.

Eight NFL football games shown exclusively on the NFL Network, including two Dallas Cowboy's games, are causing all the controversy.

"The NFL wants to take football games that were free to the public, anyone could get over the air, whether you had cable, satellite or an antenna, and those eight games are being taken away," Stacy Schmitt with Time Warner Cable said.

The eight games in question will only be broadcast live over the NFL Network, and will be unavailable in any other format, causing thousands of fans to miss out.

"All other networks, over 240 other cable and satellite companies, have our network figured in their business plan," Jerry Jones of the NFL Network said.

The cost to Time Warner Cable would be over $150 million, smoething the network doesn't want to pay for a service that they feel was once freely available. They aren't alone; Comcast, the nation's largest cable provider, has also refused to support the NFL Network.

Time Warner said they offered a compromise of allowing the channel in its sports-tier package on digital cable, but the NFL Network said they wanted to be part of standard cable.

The debate has been a hot topic during drive time on the Jeff Ward radio show, which airs on KLBJ's AM station.

"Both sides are awfully powerful and I think have legitimate arguments on both sides, they both know that if they give they know they might not get it back," Ward said.

Either way you look at it, this feud between the NFL Network and Time Warner Cable is bad news for Cowboys' fans, but it's good news for businesses like the Tavern.

Tavern manager Nathan Glowacki subscribes to both Time Warner and a satellite provider.

"It's bad news for me as a fan, but I like it because it brings more people in here because you can't sit at home and watch it," he said.

"I just want to see the games. I think everybody in their region should be able to see their games," Time Warner Cable subscriber Jack Davis said.

Editor's note: News 8 is a subsidiary of Time Warner Cable.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Note - if the game is in your market - IE Dallas you still get the game for "free"

Cable wants in, well pay up. Or we continue to pay for Direct TV and get all the games.

NFL doesn't want to go cable, their partner is DTV and they have LT deal.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nors;1741948 said:
Note - if the game is in your market - IE Dallas you still get the game for "free"

Cable wants in, well pay up. Or we continue to pay for Direct TV and get all the games.

:confused: Wat is dat?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nors;1741955 said:
Dat tis

Long Term LT

Ohh...OK, then why didn't you type dat?

LT = the Chargers running back

LT = Left tackle

LT = a sandwich with out bacon

LT = well, you know wat I mean...

:laugh2:

Tex

Reaction score
This isnt about the Eagles game is it? Crap I'm in Louisville KY on business in a hotel without the NFL network. Am I going to have to go to a bar tomorrow?

Tex

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tex;1741964 said:
This isnt about the Eagles game is it? Crap I'm in Louisville KY on business in a hotel without the NFL network. Am I going to have to go to a bar tomorrow?

Tex

Yep...have a drink on us!

;)

Tex

Reaction score
LeonDixson;1741968 said:
Or change hotels.

Cute idea but not practical.

Can anyone PLEASE hook me up with the guy that does the sopcast internet broadcasts on here? Crap I hope HE GETS NFL ****** NETWORK!! lol

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Tex;1741984 said:
Cute idea but not practical.

Can anyone PLEASE hook me up with the guy that does the sopcast internet broadcasts on here? Crap I hope HE GETS NFL ****** NETWORK!! lol

tomorrows game is on NBC sunday night football.

Its not on NFL Network

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Nors;1741948 said:

They may be a Directv partner, but all the games on national TV's NBC Sunday night football negate the need for Sunday Ticket if you are a Cowboys' fan.

Putting the Cowboys on NFL network is not going to work, because the Cable companies are right. If the NFL network is on Directv's basic package, why isn't the Golf Channel? I had to pay extra to get the Golf Channel, which has a longer season than the NFL on the NFL channel. Programming on the NFL channel is mighty bad after the Super Bowl. What value would it have for the majority of cable customers February through August.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I dont see the big deal, but I live in atlanta so I goto a sports bar every week to watch it, even when they are on tv. That way I dont have to worry about them switching games if its a blow out, etc.

Just goto a bar, buy a beer and some wings and enjoy it. Total cost: 20 or so. Its still much cheaper then actual game tickets.

People sometimes seem to think the sports bars are awful places, I always have a great time

Tex

Reaction score
BigDFan5;1742000 said:

Its not on NFL Network

There is a God. Thank you.

tex

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The first Cowboy game to be broadcast on the NFLN is the Green Bay game the week after the Thanksgiving game.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
FLcowboy;1742001 said:
They may be a Directv partner, but all the games on national TV's NBC Sunday night football negate the need for Sunday Ticket if you are a Cowboys' fan.

Putting the Cowboys on NFL network is not going to work, because the Cable companies are right. If the NFL network is on Directv's basic package, why isn't the Golf Channel? I had to pay extra to get the Golf Channel, which has a longer season than the NFL on the NFL channel. Programming on the NFL channel is mighty bad after the Super Bowl. What value would it have for the majority of cable customers February through August.

Funny that you'd mention the Golf channel. I have that as part of my non sports tier package....

I have it three times actually. Why it shows up in the 70's, the 100's and the 400's I have no idea.

Sadly, I do not get the NFL network.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
BigDFan5;1742000 said:

Its not on NFL Network

glad somebody said it.....

What are the NFL network games?

Green Bay and Carolina?

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Gryphon;1741942 said:
By: Reagan Hackleman

On the field, it's all about football. But when you get off the field, it's all about green, and we're not talking about the grass.

Eight NFL football games shown exclusively on the NFL Network, including two Dallas Cowboy's games, are causing all the controversy.

"The NFL wants to take football games that were free to the public, anyone could get over the air, whether you had cable, satellite or an antenna, and those eight games are being taken away," Stacy Schmitt with Time Warner Cable said.

The eight games in question will only be broadcast live over the NFL Network, and will be unavailable in any other format, causing thousands of fans to miss out.

"All other networks, over 240 other cable and satellite companies, have our network figured in their business plan," Jerry Jones of the NFL Network said.

The cost to Time Warner Cable would be over $150 million, smoething the network doesn't want to pay for a service that they feel was once freely available. They aren't alone; Comcast, the nation's largest cable provider, has also refused to support the NFL Network.

Time Warner said they offered a compromise of allowing the channel in its sports-tier package on digital cable, but the NFL Network said they wanted to be part of standard cable.

The debate has been a hot topic during drive time on the Jeff Ward radio show, which airs on KLBJ's AM station.

"Both sides are awfully powerful and I think have legitimate arguments on both sides, they both know that if they give they know they might not get it back," Ward said.

Either way you look at it, this feud between the NFL Network and Time Warner Cable is bad news for Cowboys' fans, but it's good news for businesses like the Tavern.

Tavern manager Nathan Glowacki subscribes to both Time Warner and a satellite provider.

"It's bad news for me as a fan, but I like it because it brings more people in here because you can't sit at home and watch it," he said.

"I just want to see the games. I think everybody in their region should be able to see their games," Time Warner Cable subscriber Jack Davis said.

Editor's note: News 8 is a subsidiary of Time Warner Cable.

Ha! I say. I'd gladly trade: 3 "Faith and Inspiration" channels, 5 "Latino" channels, plus Golf, SPEED, VERSUS, Sportsman, Outdoor and the 50 "Music Choice Digital Music" channels for NFL Network.

It's about greed for both sides: NFL wants Network on basic so it can reach more viewers (of commericials), and TW and others want to be able to charge a premium price for Network. It's not about the customer...it's about the bottom line.