Fantastic Four was...

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
DallasEast said:
I mostly agree. Until about 12-13 years ago, I was a huge comics collector, so I'm well-versed in the origins and storylines behind these books (I try to keep current by buying a few titles every now and then).

The central anger towards Hulk was directed at Ang Lee's usage of an computer animated character versus a live actor/computer animated character combo, imo. Don't get me wrong. The movie's plot was fractured. That, along with Eric Bana's sleepwalking through the picture, made it an average film.

But, I believe that many moviegoers thought Lee would have a Lou Ferrigno (sp?) type actor as the Hulk. For me, as a comics fan, I disagreed. Lee's use of the computer animated character was sound. What the Hulk did in the movie was exactly what he has always done in the books. The character is almost a force of nature itself. The television series, which I tolerated more because I had always liked Bill Bixby than anything else, was a total farce and a 'Fugitive' lowbrow remake.

I refused to watch Catwoman on the big screen. Instead, I waited for it to come out on DVD. After I rented and watched it, I asked for the video store manager for a refund. She refused. That made me feel even worse.

On the sci-fi front, King Kong is giving me some good vibes from the trailers I've seen. And it doesn't hurt to have Peter Jackson directing it too.

I actually quite enjoyed Hulk. I never saw it in theatres because it got such bad reviews - but I thought it was far and away better than DD. The only thing that was a bit over the top, for me, was the 'storm fight.'

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
It was an adaptation. Some things must be changed into adaptations, because not everything translates the same from page to film.

For example, I am pretty thrilled that the costumes weren't gold and Marvel blue....
True, but altering a speech pattern isn't a necessary departure. :) IMO, alterations, like the costume changes you mentioned, are made by those producing/directing the films to make them more acceptable and marketable to a broader audience.

I agree about the costumes for the X films. Seeing Jean Grey in that 1960's Marvel Girl outfit would've been a stretch for present day audiences, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Famke Janssen don the Phoenix uniform for the next film. WOO HOO! ;)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
I actually quite enjoyed Hulk. I never saw it in theatres because it got such bad reviews - but I thought it was far and away better than DD. The only thing that was a bit over the top, for me, was the 'storm fight.'
I thank Ang Lee for presenting a truer version of the hero to the entertainment world. That's where I get my basic enjoyment from the film.

I disagree about Daredevil. The movie had a real feel for the 70's/early 80's issues of the title. Colin Farrell was over-the-top with his portrayal of Bullseye; and they didn't allow Jennifer Garner to develop Elektra enough, imo. Still, the picture flowed very well from start to finish much better than Hulk.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
DallasEast said:
I thank Ang Lee for presenting a truer version of the hero to the entertainment world. That's where I get my basic enjoyment from the film.

I disagree about Daredevil. The movie had a real feel for the 70's/early 80's issues of the title. Colin Farrell was over-the-top with his portrayal of Bullseye; and they didn't allow Jennifer Garner to develop Elektra enough, imo. Still, the picture flowed very well from start to finish much better than Hulk.

Ben killed DareDevil he was a horrible Mat Murdock

I watched FF4 I have to say parts of it where realy good other parts where soso. The Story line was muddled. Richards was to tenative which I not sure is the directors fault or the actor most likely the script and director. Anyways they screwed somebasic things they should not have

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
F4 was horrible. It is the BATMAN AND ROBIN of the Marvel films. Kids will probably like it, but that's about it. If I was an F4 fan, I'd be pissed.

Other the other hand, BATMAN BEGINS was flat terrific. SIN CITY was very good. And the SPIDER-MAN and X-MEN films are the best of the Marvel movies. But I'm not so sure what Bret Ratner is going to do with X-Men 3.

I am excited about SUPERMAN RETURNS - which is a flat out sequel to the first 2 Christopher Reeve films. I'm anxious to see what Brian Singer does with it. And the next BATMAN film should be tremendous as The Joker will be the feature villain.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasEast said:
I agree, but I won't stop there. There are other points to the X movies worth mentioning...

1. Sabertooth and Wolverine weren't vicious enough.
2. Pyro was American, but should have been a grown man from Austrialia or New Zealand if memory serves.
3. Storm should have had an African accent.
4. Colossus should have been Russian.
5. Rogue should have been a Southerner (deep south, actually).
6. Mystique's makeup was overly done. She has blue skin, but no scales.
7. Magneto should have a Austrian/Polish accent.
8. A major character, Kitty Pryde (Shadowcat), was practically ignored.
9. Nightcrawler didn't need angelic symbols to justify his mutant diversity.

Agreed...and if that irks you....just wait because I read somewhere that they are going to introduce a new character that was not in the comics whos power is sexual attraction....no I am not making that up.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan said:
F4 was horrible. It is the BATMAN AND ROBIN of the Marvel films. Kids will probably like it, but that's about it. If I was an F4 fan, I'd be pissed.

Other the other hand, BATMAN BEGINS was flat terrific. SIN CITY was very good. And the SPIDER-MAN and X-MEN films are the best of the Marvel movies. But I'm not so sure what Bret Ratner is going to do with X-Men 3.

I am excited about SUPERMAN RETURNS - which is a flat out sequel to the first 2 Christopher Reeve films. I'm anxious to see what Brian Singer does with it. And the next BATMAN film should be tremendous as The Joker will be the feature villain.

He's going to ruin it. Any other questions?

BUT I am excited to see what Brian Singer does with Superman. Critics and fans already hate it because of Routh and because he isn't restarting the franchise, but I have confidence in him.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
I liked it and I know many other people who did also.

I'm finding that a lot of people who are really into Marvel comics, and the FF especially, came away enjoying this movie. As long as they didn't nitpick about some of the changes that were made, it seems that many comics fans found it to be enjoyable.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Some of you guys seem quite "in the know" regarding the comic book movie genre - or big movie fans in general.

Artist Lee Bermejo did the following Joker and Harvey Dent concept art for my website. The scuttlebut is that The Joker is the villian in BATMAN CONTINUES (or whatever it is going to be called), with Batman and D.A. Dent becoming huge allies - along with Gordon. Dent or course, becomes Two-Face and will be the featured villain in the third film. Here are the links. The Joker is based on Autralian actor Lachy Hulme and Dent is based on Denzel Washington.

BOF interview w/Lee Bermejo

JOKER

DENT

Kangaroo

Reaction score
I found out from a friend the storyline that the movie followed is the new Ultimate series written by marvel where they re-wrote the origins of the Fantastic Four to a more modern one. It is not based of the original Fantastic Four of the yesteryears.

http://fantasticfour.ugo.com/comics/fantasticfour_ultimate/default.asp#

Publisher: Marvel Comics

Year of Release: 2004

Writers: Brian Michael Bendis, Mark Millar, Warren Ellis

Artists: Adam Kubert, Danny Miki

What It Is:

Marvel's Ultimate line of comics re-tell the origins and adventures of their heroes, rebooting and streamlining the characters and settings for newer readers. The Ultimate comics (there are currently Ultimate versions of the X-Men, Spider-Man, the Avengers and the Fantastic Four) aren't meant to replace the original series' continuity. Instead, they simply put a new (and in many cases, fresh) spin on characters who've become somewhat dusty and dated. Most of the Ultimate versions of Marvel's classic characters are younger than their originals. Ultimate Spider-Man, for example, is still in high school, where he began in the Ditko/Lee comics of 40 years ago, but instead of being a nerd with a chemistry set, he's a computer geek, adept at writing hypertext but somewhat clumsy when it comes to navigating his relationship with the young Mary Jane.

As initially conceived by über-writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Adam Kubert, the Ultimate Fantastic Four follow the pattern of previous Ultimate entries. Reed Richards is the pivotal character. The first story begins with Reed's birth, and his very first act is to grab a strand of his mother's hair, driven even fresh from the womb by insatiable curiosity. As he grows older, Reed's precociousness and relentless experimentation with all manner of household appliances drive his parents (particularly his father, whom Reed vainly strives to please) crazy. The young scientist has discovered a parallel dimension, which he dreams will one day make teleportation a reality - a dream he shares only with Ben Grimm, his best friend. Ben's cool, Reed's not; Ben can talk sports with Reed's Dad, who can't seem to identify with his son on any level. Eventually, Reed's parents agree to send him away to an experimental project being conducted at New York's Baxter Building.

The Baxter Building program involves young geniuses from across the country, all sequestered in one place to serve the national interest. The program is run by Professor Storm, whose daughter Susan strikes up a friendship with Reed. And there's another student, Victor Van Damme, who gets on Reed's bad side by meddling in his private notes. Reed becomes Professor Storm's protege - it turns out that Storm is working on the very same project which has obsessed young Richards for years: teleportation. In this version of the tale, the Fantastic Four are created when Reed and Sue (visited by Ben and her brother Johnny) are accidentally teleported through the mysterious N-Zone. They emerge at distant points across the country with strange new powers, and in Ben's case, with a whole new body.

Ultimate Fantastic Four is a lot of fun. It's covering the same storylines that Lee and Kirby etched out those many years ago, but it's got the license to make interesting changes. It's not entirely clear yet, but some of these changes may be reflected in the new film. One clear reflection is Doom's origin - in Ultimate FF, and in the film, Dr. Doom is created alongside the Fantastic Four. Time will tell if Ultimate FF prove as popular as their most successful Ultimate predecessors - but the stories are good, the art is breathtaking and it feels like we're experiencing the Fantastic Four for the very first time. 'Nuff said.

zagnut

Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan said:
Some of you guys seem quite "in the know" regarding the comic book movie genre - or big movie fans in general.

Artist Lee Bermejo did the following Joker and Harvey Dent concept art for my website. The scuttlebut is that The Joker is the villian in BATMAN CONTINUES (or whatever it is going to be called), with Batman and D.A. Dent becoming huge allies - along with Gordon. Dent or course, becomes Two-Face and will be the featured villain in the third film. Here are the links. The Joker is based on Autralian actor Lachy Hulme and Dent is based on Denzel Washington.

BOF interview w/Lee Bermejo

JOKER

DENT

That Joker would be tough to look at on a 30 foot tall screen for 2+ hours. Gross. :D

Would love to see Joker get his proper presentation. He should be right up there with Vader in the context of movie villians. Nicholson's/Burton's take was funny, but I never saw the Joker as a comical figure.