Far apart, Westbrook cuts off talks with Eagles

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Far apart, Westbrook cuts off talks with Eagles
Sep. 8, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

PHILADELPHIA -- Pro Bowl running back Brian Westbrook cut off contract talks with the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday because the two sides are far apart on a long-term extension.

"Me and my agent have told the Eagles' management that we're no longer interested in talking to them as far as the contract situation," Westbrook said Thursday. "We don't feel as though we've received a proposal from them that really represents the value that I bring to this team and my market value. I think that in the last 2½, 3 years that I've been here, I've brought a lot to this team."

Westbrook, talking for the first time since reporting to training camp after a one-week holdout, had been seeking a long-term deal after signing a one-year restricted free agent offer for $1.43 million.

"It's just frustrating for me to come to work every day knowing that in the back of my mind I feel kind of disrespected by the offer that I continue to get from the Eagles," he said.

In his three-year career, Westbrook has rushed for 1,618 yards and 10 touchdowns and caught 119 passes for 1,121 yards and 10 TDs.

"I run the ball, I catch the ball, and for this team I am very valuable," Westbrook said. "I think any time a defense or any other team comes in here ... one of the players that they have to stop when they come play the Philadelphia Eagles is Brian Westbrook."

Westbrook skipped the Eagles' post-draft minicamp and sat out the first week of training camp. He switched agents, from Anthony Agnone to Fletcher Smith, who also represents Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, and was looking for a five-year deal before the start of the season.

Westbrook said the numbers are far apart and two sides have never really come close to reaching an agreement.

The versatile Westbrook is coming off a breakout season in which he led the team with 1,515 total yards and was tops among NFL running backs with 73 catches for 703 yards and six touchdowns, despite sitting out the last two regular-season games. Westbrook was a key part of the Eagles' trip to the Super Bowl and caught a 10-yard touchdown pass in the 24-21 loss to the Patriots.

"I'm still going to come out here and be the best running back I can be," he said.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
I feel for him, but he should have known once Moats was drafted his chances of getting paid diminished to slim and none.

dallasblue05

Reaction score
too bad he already signed that one year deal, I'd have laughed my arse off had he left the eagles before this season. The eagles must not be very good with their players, or maybe thats what happens when you get so many "ME" guys on one team......who cares, I hope it hurts em......bad.......