Fassel: Lack of preparation wasn't a factor for Zuerlein

CWR

Reaction score
Zuerlein's misses were not why they lost.

They lost because the lines of TB outplayed them and dictated the game. If he makes those kicks, TB just scores more in order to win the game.

If that had lost by 2 at the end of the game and that miss was the last play, OK, that's on him. But the OL and DL of Dallas played a very mediocre game and are lucky to have only lost by 2 points.

Sure, we didn't need those 4 points. No effect at all. No matter what we were gonna lose. Whatever man.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did any of the journalists ask Fassell how he feels knowing his decision is one of the main reasons the team lost?

That seems to be what he's doing here. Selling out his player. Saying his decision to play a kicker with no camp or preseason wasn't the issue. It was the player. He failed me, I didn't fail him.

I call BS on that.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is good enough that a kicker that had went 10/10 during the previous season was cut to make room for him to become the new kicker. When a kicker is so good that perfection can not compete with him, you know that he is on a higher level of awesomeness than the other kickers in the league. Fassel came to Dallas and brought his guys with him. There was not a competition for the positions.

Even having a perfect career isn't enough for this guy. Hence the new long snapper.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's just sticking up for his friend.

Fassel (and Zuerlein, for that matter) has brought NOTHING of substance to this team.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's just sticking up for his friend.

Fassel (and Zuerlein, for that matter) has brought NOTHING of substance to this team.

Actually saying a lack of preparation would be sticking up for his friend. He's doing the opposite.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Zurelein put the blame on himself and Fassel is not going to throw a player under the bus nor should he. If Zurelein does not get his act together quickly he will not be here much longer.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Biggest issue was that they didn’t even bring in another kicker until the last few days of camp after the punter/kicker got hurt.

There was no backup plan for kicker. I don’t think they have a backup plan now either. Strange.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Fassel has been an inflexible old codger, content to get by on his past reputation. I'm totally unimpressed with him!
The Canadian kicker should've been retained in house until Zuerlein was fully prepared to compete. It's nuts. :facepalm:

Last edited:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
It was a bad decision to cut Forbath when he was our most consistent kicker. Is 10 for 10 not good enough?

It was also a bad decision by FO to not try out another kicker when Zurlein coming back from back surgery.
Forbath's history is being a streaky kicker and then being a bad kicker. He was never a long term option. Which is why he's on the street.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This team takes turns on who’s going to lose the game

Plankton

Reaction score
While Fassel deserves a huge amount of blame for the whole special teams strategy this camp, I place a lot of blame on McCarthy. He's deferring way too much to Fassel, and he needs to be assertive in terms of what he wants. You can't let any assistant have unchecked authority to do whatever they want.