Fastest way to transfer files from computer to computer?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 1, 2019.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl U.N.I.T.Y Staff Member

74,749 Messages
    24,686 Likes Received
    Hey guys,

In the past, my computer guy did this as part of a repair or something. In this case, I'm transferring data from a borrowed laptop to my new laptop.

Can I transfer it wirelessly without having to using the cloud?

2. DeathMonkey

DeathMonkey Well-Known Member

3,403 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    Yes, but the speed would depend on the capabilities of the local network. If they both have an RJ-45 port (network jack), you can use an Ethernet crossover cable and connect them directly without a router. You could purchase a USB-to-USB bridging cable. Don't use a standard USB without bridging because you could burn out the USB ports.

In any case, you'll need to share the folders that you want to copy over.

If it's not system files, just buy a USB thumb drive and copy the files to it, then move the thumb drive to the new laptop. If it is system files, then it's a bit more complicated, but still doable without using the cloud.

3. WoodysGirl

74,749 Messages
    24,686 Likes Received
    No system files are involved. Just the data I was able to recover from various places where I'd stored information. multiple USB drives, external hard drive, and the cloud.

Now that I have my own laptop, I need to move it again to here. I was hoping not to have to go buy something, but a USB might the simplest way to move it.

4. DeathMonkey

3,403 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    Thumb drive is certainly the simplest, and you can get those really cheap.

Depending on the OS of the two systems, you should be able to do it wirelessly, but if they're different versions of windows, it can get hairy because they might have trouble seeing each other, even if they're in the same workgroup.

WoodysGirl likes this.
  5. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

11,743 Messages
    9,074 Likes Received
    Don’t use the cloud just use a USB drive. Easy peachy.

WoodysGirl likes this.
  6. WoodysGirl

74,749 Messages
    24,686 Likes Received
    I've backed some stuff up on the cloud. Takes way too long for the amount of stuff I'm trying to transfer.

7. WoodysGirl

74,749 Messages
    24,686 Likes Received
    Both Windows 10, but I'm going to hunt down a USB tomorrow so I can make the transfer. I want to give my friend back his laptop ASAP since I've had it almost six months. :(

DeathMonkey likes this.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

55,291 Messages
    53,663 Likes Received
    WeTransfer is pretty good, but the free plan is limited I think to 20GB per transfer.

9. DeathMonkey

3,403 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    Yeah, that's a good suggestion but part of her original request was doing it without the cloud.

Idgit likes this.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

55,291 Messages
    53,663 Likes Received
    Yeah. But then she mentioned the cloud being too slow, so I thought maybe it might work for her. Thumb drive was the best answer to her actual question. :)

DeathMonkey likes this.
  11. ThemDangMartians

ThemDangMartians Well-Known Member

1,259 Messages
    1,454 Likes Received
    Depending on how much I need to transfer...a little?- a Thumb drive. ...All my data?- I use a external hard drive… the one I have can hold about 1Terabyte of info...which is about 1000 Billion bytes...That's a lot of space. They aren't very expensive , and an excellent way to keep you Data stored for save keeping!...So basically you just copy from your computer to the external drive, then from the external drive to your other computer....snap!
    [​IMG]

Runwildboys likes this.
  12. jsb357

jsb357 Well-Known Member

1,449 Messages
    1,701 Likes Received
    any data located on one single drive will eventually be lost.

develop a backup plan and keep multiple backups

WoodysGirl likes this.
  13. WoodysGirl

74,749 Messages
    24,686 Likes Received
    I only had about 50gb of data on my friend's laptop so I got a 64gb USB drive.

@Idgit I heard of WeTransfer, but it never occurred to me to use it for this. I already overspent for this USB drive and so far so good.

DallasEast, DeathMonkey and Idgit like this.
  14. CF74

CF74 Vet Min Plus

22,420 Messages
    9,889 Likes Received
    Wow that’s a lot of pics of Darren..:D

15. WoodysGirl

74,749 Messages
    24,686 Likes Received
    Ha! Only about half. lol

CF74 likes this.