Fatal Flaws: The OceanGate Story | Full Documentary (2024)

gtb1943

Reaction score
Look at those trying to climb Everest; or those doing other extremely dangerous things. Adrenaline junkies.
But I got to admit I would NEVER have the nerve to go down in the depths of the ocean

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The fatal flaw was the shape, anything other than a sphere will fail, sooner than later. I still can’t believe that people went that deep in it willfully :facepalm:
I think the untested materials (carbon fiber) played a huge role too. Once carbon fiber is compromised it will typically shatter, especially under those conditions. Most people utilize carbon fiber for its strength to weight ratio. I don’t know what advantage that would be underwater though.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the untested materials (carbon fiber) played a huge role too. Once carbon fiber is compromised it will typically shatter, especially under those conditions. Most people utilize carbon fiber for its strength to weight ratio. I don’t know what advantage that would be underwater though.
Yea, carbon fiber was another serious flaw. Even if they didn’t use it, the shape(submersible) still would have imploded eventually. There needs to be equal pressure all around and only a sphere can accomplish that.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yea, carbon fiber was another serious flaw. Even if they didn’t use it, the shape(submersible) still would have imploded eventually. There needs to be equal pressure all around and only a sphere can accomplish that.
Submarines aren’t sphericle.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Submarines don’t go down thousands of feet either :facepalm:

Their crush depth is usually around 7-8 hundred meters.
Ballistic missle submarines regularly go down to 1,600 feet although their max depth is classified. Submarines do not need to be shaped like a baseball :facepalm:

gtb1943

Reaction score
The pressure at 2000 feet vs 36000 feet is a tremendous difference. Completely different design criteria. Even for those that only go down to say Titanic depth

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ballistic missle submarines regularly go down to 1,600 feet although their max depth is classified. Submarines do not need to be shaped like a baseball :facepalm:
Are you just trying to argue? Why even bring up subs? We are talking about this submersible going to depths of 16K+. I assure you there isn’t a submarine out there can even go a third of that depth without imploding. I think(hope) you know this but just want start another argument, stop being so negative!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Are you just trying to argue? Why even bring up subs? We are talking about this submersible going to depths of 16K+. I assure you there isn’t a submarine out there can even go a third of that depth without imploding. I think(hope) you know this but just want start another argument, stop being so negative!
I’ve seen some crazy stuff in my time.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Morale of the story: Quality and safety control on anything going to the bottom of the ocean may be a wee bit important.