CFZ Father Time is Undefeated

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always hate seeing any player get hurt regardless of the team. Especially when it’s a serious injury like Aaron Rodgers apparently tearing his achilles. It’s brutal.

But it has also always fascinated me that some of the all time greats in sports somehow don’t know when it’s time to retire. So many HOFers and all time greats don’t hear the gentle raps on the retirement door by Father Time. Just look at the list of guys who had reached great heights in their respective sports only to continue their athletic competition after they are probably too old.

Look at these all time greats who probably should have retired:
  • Muhammad Ali- my favorite boxer. Despite approaching 40 and having taken some terrible shots over the years, he continued to box until it was sad to watch.
  • Michael Jordan- IMO the greatest basketball player of all time ended his career looking very human while playing for the Washington Wizards. He was a shell of what he once was.
  • Johnny Unitas- the former Colt HOFer insisted on playing at 40 for the Chargers when his body was broken. He looked pitiful.
  • Joe Namath- after multiple knee injuries and his SB win in ‘68, Namath kept his career alive playing for the rams. It was embarrassing. He could hardly move.
  • Tony Dorsett- after a HOF career in Dallas, TD played one year for the Denver Broncos in 1988 and looked like an old man. He should have retired a Cowboy.
  • Brett Farve- how many times did he come out of retirement?
This list is incomplete. And Tom Brady was an exception because although he looked less effective, still won a SB at 42. But he was the extremely rare exception. Aaron Rodgers may have played his last game. IMO, he should have just retired.

Father Time is undefeated.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I think our culture is partly to blame as well. We worship athletes and lay the world at their feet when they’re young.

Money, women, fame, glory… it’s all they ever know and many pro athletes don’t have an identity outside of their sport.

Which is why so many become analysts after they retire. They don’t know what to do when the sport has past them by, so they vicariously try to live the game through the next generation.

Tough to hang em up when you believe what you do is all you are.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I always hate seeing any player get hurt regardless of the team. Especially when it’s a serious injury like Aaron Rodgers apparently tearing his achilles. It’s brutal.

But it has also always fascinated me that some of the all time greats in sports somehow don’t know when it’s time to retire. So many HOFers and all time greats don’t hear the gentle raps on the retirement door by Father Time. Just look at the list of guys who had reached great heights in their respective sports only to continue their athletic competition after they are probably too old.

• Muhammad Ali- my favorite boxer. Despite approaching 40 and having taken some terrible shots over the years, he continued to box until it was sad to watch.
  • Michael Jordan- IMO the greatest basketball player of all time ended his career looking very human while playing for the Washington Wizards. He was a shell of what he once was.
  • Johnny Unitas- the former Colt HOFer insisted on playing at 40 for the Chargers when his body was broken. He looked pitiful.
  • Joe Namath- after multiple knee injuries and his SB win in ‘68, Namath kept his career alive playing for the rams. It was embarrassing. He could hardly move.
  • Tony Dorsett- after a HOF career in Dallas, TD played one year for the Denver Broncos in 1988 and looked like an old man. He should have retired a Cowboy.
This list is incomplete. And Tom Brady was an exception because although he looked less effective, still won a SB at 42. But he was the extremely rare exception. Aaron Rodgers may have played his last game. IMO, he should have just retired.

Father Time is undefeated but to me it’s different for these new quarterbacks…..Aaron showed he can still play just a freak injury. Brady as well. I don’t think this is Father Time coming for Aaron.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don’t think he should have retired. He is still an elite level QB and he wanted to keep playing. There will be a ton of Monday morning QBing saying the same thing as your take, but I don’t think it applies to this guy. Had he.

If it’s an Achilles, it can happen to anyone. Just happened to Dobbins from the Ravens and he’s 24. If he had a decent game and they got the victory, this wouldn’t be a narrative.

I don’t think it’s for anyone but the player to decide when he should or shouldn’t retire, but I also respect your opinion. All good.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Father Time is undefeated but to me it’s different for these new quarterbacks…..Aaron showed he can still play just a freak injury. Brady as well. I don’t think this is Father Time coming for Aaron.
Your post came in while I was typing mine. If I saw it I would have just stopped typing and said, “what MC said”.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
NFL turf is undefeated you mean.

It's pathetic that they continue to allow that "**"*** to hurt their players

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think he should have retired. He is still an elite level QB and he wanted to keep playing. There will be a ton of Monday morning QBing saying the same thing as your take, but I don’t think it applies to this guy. Had he.

If it’s an Achilles, it can happen to anyone. Just happened to Dobbins from the Ravens and he’s 24. If he had a decent game and they got the victory, this wouldn’t be a narrative.

I don’t think it’s for anyone but the player to decide when he should or shouldn’t retire, but I also respect your opinion. All good.
I appreciate your perspective. My view is I would rather remember great players at their best, not in their decline. Yes, Rodgers injury was a freaky thing but those things overall tend to happen to older players in general. Obviously a young player can have a serious injury too. But older athletes are much more vulnerable.

It‘s just an opinion. But I would rather see a guy retire a year early than a year too late.

Flamma

Reaction score

Fantastic post. I want to say a few things. I think had Rodgers had more preseason play, he may have been more physically ready for live action.

Kenny Stabler is one that you missed. It was sad watching his last gasp.

The one I might disagree with is Brett Favre. Wasn't he still pretty good in 2009? He threw those back breaking picks throughout his entire career!!! I'm sorry, I never liked him.

There was a stat that came up during a game about Favre. Never once did he come back from a 14 point deficit in the regular season with the Packers. Did it once in the playoffs, and did it once with either the Vikings or Jets. That tells me he needs the lead or else he plays hero ball. Interestingly enough, Romo did it in his first start.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Forty year olds with achilles keep surgeon officers full. This is a tough as well as expensive career decision now.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Your post came in while I was typing mine. If I saw it I would have just stopped typing and said, “what MC said”.
I didn’t see yours either yeah I agree. It’s a freak injury can happen to you at 24 or 38. Actually I’m trying to remember the last older quarterback to tear his acl….wasnt Brees, Manning or Brady for sure.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s hard to hang em up after you worked your butt off for your whole life in whatever sport. I played baseball from the age of five, went to UT then on to the minors. I knew I was never going to get the call but I hung on as long as possible, even played in the Mexican League for a few years trying to hang on :muttley:

Yes, Father Time will get you but the urge to still play never leaves. Heck, I think that I could still go out on the diamond right now and perform decently…..realistically probably not though.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Forty year olds with achilles keep surgeon officers full. This is a tough as well as expensive career decision now.
unless rodgers had a stupid financial adviser, the money part is simply not important

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
NFL turf is undefeated you mean.

It's pathetic that they continue to allow that "**"*** to hurt their players
If the turf is to blame then why aren't there far more injuries? Why was no one else carted off last night if the turf is such a terrible thing?

The turf now is far superior to the turf from the past. The old Texas Stadium surface, for example, was as hard as a rock yet it didn't derail the 70's and 90's dynasties.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
If the turf is to blame then why aren't there far more injuries? Why was no one else carted off last night if the evil turf is such a back breaker?
Seriously? Are you saying shoes with cleats do not stick in turf better than they do on natural grass?

You just want to argue .... po

gtb1943

Reaction score
I can think of so many athletes that hung on too long. In all sports. The list by the OP is probably the most notable examples.

Its about ego; which the greats ALL have in huge abundance.

And sometimes its all they know; they have nothing else.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
As a standard, how long is achilles recovery? 12 months? Obviously on top of that he's 40, so he would have no real training camp and not be able to start the season even if he wanted to try?
Closer to 9, though everyone is different. He could be ready for TC next year if he really wanted to, it's not like he needs to be super explosive.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Seriously? Are you saying shoes with cleats do not stick in turf better than they do on natural grass?

You just want to argue .... po
It's called a debate, not an argument. Read what I added to my comment. You're the one who sounds mad. Telling someone to PO on a message board? How brave of you.....