CFZ Father Time is Undefeated

TWOK11

Reaction score
  • Michael Jordan- IMO the greatest basketball player of all time ended his career looking very human while playing for the Washington Wizards. He was a shell of what he once was.
Jordan averaged 21, 6 and 5 in 2 seasons in Washington, made the all-star team both years and was 14th and 17th in the league in PER in those years respectively.

Even at nearly 40 years old he was STILL a top 15ish player in the league

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always hate seeing any player get hurt regardless of the team. Especially when it’s a serious injury like Aaron Rodgers apparently tearing his achilles. It’s brutal.

But it has also always fascinated me that some of the all time greats in sports somehow don’t know when it’s time to retire. So many HOFers and all time greats don’t hear the gentle raps on the retirement door by Father Time. Just look at the list of guys who had reached great heights in their respective sports only to continue their athletic competition after they are probably too old.

Look at these all time greats who probably should have retired:
  • Muhammad Ali- my favorite boxer. Despite approaching 40 and having taken some terrible shots over the years, he continued to box until it was sad to watch.
  • Michael Jordan- IMO the greatest basketball player of all time ended his career looking very human while playing for the Washington Wizards. He was a shell of what he once was.
  • Johnny Unitas- the former Colt HOFer insisted on playing at 40 for the Chargers when his body was broken. He looked pitiful.
  • Joe Namath- after multiple knee injuries and his SB win in ‘68, Namath kept his career alive playing for the rams. It was embarrassing. He could hardly move.
  • Tony Dorsett- after a HOF career in Dallas, TD played one year for the Denver Broncos in 1988 and looked like an old man. He should have retired a Cowboy.
  • Brett Farve- how many times did he come out of retirement?
This list is incomplete. And Tom Brady was an exception because although he looked less effective, still won a SB at 42. But he was the extremely rare exception. Aaron Rodgers may have played his last game. IMO, he should have just retired.

Father Time is undefeated.
My dad's all time old-guy hero....George Blanda!

calico

Reaction score
Lol. No way. I can’t believe that getting old has consequences to the body. This will have to be researched more…

This place…lol

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Lol. No way. I can’t believe that getting old has consequences to the body. This will have to be researched more…

This place…lol
I can't run as fast as I used to. Should I blame my age (58) or blame the turf at Met Life?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I always hate seeing any player get hurt regardless of the team. Especially when it’s a serious injury like Aaron Rodgers apparently tearing his achilles. It’s brutal.

But it has also always fascinated me that some of the all time greats in sports somehow don’t know when it’s time to retire. So many HOFers and all time greats don’t hear the gentle raps on the retirement door by Father Time. Just look at the list of guys who had reached great heights in their respective sports only to continue their athletic competition after they are probably too old.

• Muhammad Ali- my favorite boxer. Despite approaching 40 and having taken some terrible shots over the years, he continued to box until it was sad to watch.
  • Johnny Unitas- the former Colt HOFer insisted on playing at 40 for the Chargers when his body was broken. He looked pitiful.
  • Joe Namath- after multiple knee injuries and his SB win in ‘68, Namath kept his career alive playing for the rams. It was embarrassing. He could hardly move.
  • Tony Dorsett- after a HOF career in Dallas, TD played one year for the Denver Broncos in 1988 and looked like an old man. He should have retired a Cowboy.
This list is incomplete. And Tom Brady was an exception because although he looked less effective, still won a SB at 42. But he was the extremely rare exception. Aaron Rodgers may have played his last game. IMO, he should have just retired.

Yea, great point.

My opinion based on my experiences being around star athletes as my uncle ( a former athlete) sold life insurance to many different star athletes is the competitive nature and drive in them doesn’t stop until either their body won’t allow them or their services are no longer required.

Meaning most of these athletes continue until an injury or being released . It’s their invincible nature which drives that nothing can stop them until the inevitable and or beyond their control stops them.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jordan averaged 21, 6 and 5 in 2 seasons in Washington, made the all-star team both years and was 14th and 17th in the league in PER in those years respectively.

Even at nearly 40 years old he was STILL a top 15ish player in the league
Yeah all true. And he was a shell of what he once was. And the Wizards did nothing playoff wise.

rags747

Reaction score
Ali, yes the greatest boxer imo and he lost 3 years of his prime where he was twice as fast prior to his forced 3 year layoff.
Dorsett, actually thought he showed the same burst in Denver for awhile.
Favre, had quite a fantastic year with the Vikings, maybe his best year ever.
Namath, definitely a sad way to go out but still Broadway Joe!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

As I get older, I start to look to these guys for inspiration. If someone can play pro sports until their mid-40’s, I have no excuse not to be active in my 50’s.
  • Tons of HOF kickers who played until almost 50. Blanda, Anderson, Vinatieri, etc.
  • Yeah, I know they’re kickers. So, a short list of players who still produced at 40.
    • Jerry Rice
    • Darrell Green
    • Tom Brady
    • Warren Moon
    • Doug Flutie
    • Brett Favre
    • Jackie Slater
    • Bruce Matthews
    • Junior Seau
  • Almost all Hall of Famers.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I think our culture is partly to blame as well. We worship athletes and lay the world at their feet when they’re young.

Money, women, fame, glory… it’s all they ever know and many pro athletes don’t have an identity outside of their sport.

Which is why so many become analysts after they retire. They don’t know what to do when the sport has past them by, so they vicariously try to live the game through the next generation.

Tough to hang em up when you believe what you do is all you are.
You can't blame them, that's all they know and they're only 35 to 40 years old upon "retiring". Unlike us, we are 65. Their adult lives are just beginning. Time is still what they have a lot of.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Just when Aaron Rodgers had the world by the horns, something happened to bring stark reality back to haunt him. Nobody knows if it will likely end his long and successful career at this point but it's surely not a good sign of things to come. I'm wishing him well, despite whatever the future might hold for him. How he handles what lies ahead will likely speak louder than anything else.

It's a tough thing to face once Father Time catches up to someone who's been on top of the world for ages. We'll see what fate has in store for Rodgers and many of us who are facing what time can and will do to everyone alive along the way. Keep smiling through it all, folks! Losing heart at such testy times only makes matters worse. Aging is tough enough, even for those who keep their cool through it all.

Last edited:

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score

Also Willie Mays, sad to watch at the end.

DonaldM

Reaction score

Good post, and even humorous lol...especially Joe Namath

exciter

Reaction score
If it's an achilles issue, I believe that's it for him. A season ending injury and in AR's case, a career ending injury.
He just said he wanted to play till he’s 45 4 days ago. After all that BS and hype and lead up to the trade he kept in the media he’s gonna 4 snaps take his ball and go home?

Havic

Reaction score
If it's an achilles issue, I believe that's it for him. A season ending injury and in AR's case, a career ending injury.
Achilles is worse than an acl imo so I think he is done, especially at his age

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I appreciate your perspective. My view is I would rather remember great players at their best, not in their decline. Yes, Rodgers injury was a freaky thing but those things overall tend to happen to older players in general. Obviously a young player can have a serious injury too. But older athletes are much more vulnerable.

It‘s just an opinion. But I would rather see a guy retire a year early than a year too late.
I would too, but I'm entirely supportive of a player's decision regardless of my personal thoughts on what he should do. Even if I believe a player has little left to offer, if he wants to play, and a team is willing to sign him, I can't fault him for playing.